Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamFever

Quote from: johnnycool on November 30, 2020, 02:56:43 PM
Quote from: downjim on November 30, 2020, 08:50:57 AM
Niall and Barney be a good fit for the u20s?

Benny Coulter has it in the bag.
Wouldn't have a great work ethic as a number 1.

CornUladh

Quote from: SamFever on November 30, 2020, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 30, 2020, 02:56:43 PM
Quote from: downjim on November 30, 2020, 08:50:57 AM
Niall and Barney be a good fit for the u20s?

Benny Coulter has it in the bag.
Wouldn't have a great work ethic as a number 1.

Longstone lads would disagree

Johnnysboys

Are all clubs sorted with management at this stage???

Smurfy123

Mark Dorn and Jerome Johnstone new Ballybay managers
Shane Beattie also away to manage Coalisland in Tyrone
Will that mean Paddy Tally to name a new backroom team?
Ballybay is a big club. A few titles and a few final defeats
Paddy O Rourke away to Castlewellan anyone hear that?

downjim

Years ago we used to have top managers who managed teams to play the right way and to win, Ray Morgan being the cream of the crop. A proven winner.
Now we have managers/coaches/gurus, strength and conditioning etc on the circuit with no record of success but still being hired by clubs.
There are managers doing the rounds for the guts of 15 years who have not won a thing. I am at a loss how there are boys on the gravy train making a killing because they can take a good session or the players love him. People need to wake up and smell the coffee. Show me your medals please, that is all that matters.

SamFever

Quote from: downjim on December 04, 2020, 04:32:45 PM
Years ago we used to have top managers who managed teams to play the right way and to win, Ray Morgan being the cream of the crop. A proven winner.
Now we have managers/coaches/gurus, strength and conditioning etc on the circuit with no record of success but still being hired by clubs.
There are managers doing the rounds for the guts of 15 years who have not won a thing. I am at a loss how there are boys on the gravy train making a killing because they can take a good session or the players love him. People need to wake up and smell the coffee. Show me your medals please, that is all that matters.
[/quote
Ah yes,the good old days.Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Smurfy123

I hear you downjim
But Morgan had to start somewhere?
Who would you be referring too?

befair

Outside managers are an expensive and pointless blight on GAA clubs; every club's manager should be a member

yewtree

Quote from: downjim on December 04, 2020, 04:32:45 PM

Now here is the boy -Downjim I'm guessing you have managed lots and lots of senior club success - a proven winner.

The recent inter county managers we have had from within Down have had no success at senior club level.

Take a look at say Ross Carr and Dj Kane zero success.
James McCartan zero success with Burren,St Galls and Balinderry effectively given the road by all teams. And now in his 6th year at County Minor as DownJim says 'People need to wake up and smell the coffee' zero success. His assistants Daniel McCartan and Steven Poacher again zero success. Daniel I'm sure hasn't managed a team at all.
Eamon Burns RIP zero senior club success.
Paddy Tally not from Down , his assistant Mark £££Doran relegated Castlewellan.
Conor Deegan zero success.

The interesting thing is clubs just love paying out money. It will be interesting to see how Paddy Tally picks his new backroom with Doran and Beattie ruling themselves out.
Wee Pete seems to be only manager we have to come back in and settle things back down.

SHEEDY

Best of luck to the girls in the all ireland intermediate camogie final tomorrow 💪
nil satis nisi optimum

Smurfy123

Did McCartan not win a championship with the Galls??
DJ win a league with Newry Shamrocks?
I do think Niall McAleenan would be a good man to replace those men with Barney also involved on match days
His knowledge is second to none which brought huge success to us this past 4 years
Looking at an article Doran will do both Ballybay and Down so he stays
Beattie will more than likely do both

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: befair on December 04, 2020, 06:06:54 PM
Outside managers are an expensive and pointless blight on GAA clubs; every club's manager should be a member

That is all well and good - but its not easy being criticised by neighbours for playing the wrong team, playing the wrong tactics, being accused of not picking so-and-so because yer granda had a row with his granda 50 years ago etc etc etc.

I agree with the sentiment - but have had variations on the above put to me by men who did manage their club at senior level. So its not just a case of clubs looking outside - there is also a case of many within not wanting the spotlight of the parish on them.
i usse an speelchekor

6th sam

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 05, 2020, 11:56:04 AM

That is all well and good - but its not easy being criticised by neighbours for playing the wrong team, playing the wrong tactics, being accused of not picking so-and-so because yer granda had a row with his granda 50 years ago etc etc etc.

I agree with the sentiment - but have had variations on the above put to me by men who did manage their club at senior level. So its not just a case of clubs looking outside - there is also a case of many within not wanting the spotlight of the parish on them.

If getting an internal manager was so easy , why are most clubs happy to pay expenses to an "outsider". I think it's a myth that there are mercenary coaches going around coining it. I have Known many external coaches and I've yet to Meet one who's primary motivation is money. In my experience they are highly motivated people, who enjoy doing what they're good at, and contribute enormously to clubs and GAA development. Often they won't coach in their own clubs for the reasons mentioned above , whereas they can enjoy coaching an external team where they are judged on their merits with no internal factors to distract them. It's particularly important for less successful clubs to see a different approach to bring them on , rather than insular stagnation. Even if an internal coach is happy to do the job, and does not cost expenses , it's not necessarily the perfect answer. Outside ideas are healthy. Those that cry re coaching expenses would be better focussing on the current unfairness in the GAA where Dublin clubs can pay GPOs , helped by GAA funding. I think this obviously works in Dublin, and is creating employment which is brilliant, however the GAA should be working towards a mechanism for making it available in every county . Given the future challenges for society , the GAA is in a position to create employment and make an even greater contribution to society .

marty34

Quote from: 6th sam on December 05, 2020, 12:22:25 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 05, 2020, 11:56:04 AM

If getting an internal manager was so easy , why are most clubs happy to pay expenses to an "outsider". I think it's a myth that there are mercenary coaches going around coining it. I have Known many external coaches and I've yet to Meet onex who's primary motivation is money. In my experience they are highly motivated people, who enjoy doing what they're good at, and contribute enormously to clubs and GAA development. Often they won't coach in their own clubs for the reasons mentioned above , whereas they can enjoy coaching an external team where they are judged on their merits with no internal factors to distract them. It's particularly important for less successful clubs to see a different approach to bring them on , rather than insular stagnation. Even if an internal coach is happy to do the job, and does not cost expenses , it's not necessarily the perfect answer. Outside ideas are healthy. Those that cry re coaching expenses would be better focussing on the current unfairness in the GAA where Dublin clubs can pay GPOs , helped by GAA funding. I think this obviously works in Dublin, and is creating employment which is brilliant, however the GAA should be working towards a mechanism for making it available in every county . Given the future challenges for society , the GAA is in a position to create employment and make an even greater contribution to society .

Are you for real?...the love of the job etc. You must be in the manager's union.

If money isn't the motivating factor and it's their love of that club, why don't they let the brown envelopes go back into the underage development of said club?

Also, their love of the club mustn't be that great if they move to another club down the road after one year!!

Johnnysboys

Quote from: Smurfy123 on December 05, 2020, 08:12:19 AM
Did McCartan not win a championship with the Galls??
DJ win a league with Newry Shamrocks?
I do think Niall McAleenan would be a good man to replace those men with Barney also involved on match days
His knowledge is second to none which brought huge success to us this past 4 years
Looking at an article Doran will do both Ballybay and Down so he stays
Beattie will more than likely do both

How do you work that out?? Runner up in championship and league does not equate to huge success in my eyes...