Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on November 23, 2020, 01:35:11 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on November 22, 2020, 09:22:04 PM
I thought Down played the better hurling with some great scoring. But kildare size proved the difference. Though the goals were a bit slack but onwards and upwards for the hurlers Joe McDonagh next year.
Might be a few sore footballers this evening after watching a cavan team we shouldve beaten last week win the ulster title today over a very fancied Donegal.  Although Cavan probably a more physical match for Donegal than Down wouldve been. But we will never know and congrats to Cavan and Tipp .

Inability to win possession up the field an issue for the hurlers, one that in all fairness they worked reasonably well to negate. Kildare more direct and their half back line dominated most of the second half.

A good season for the hurlers all in but need some big ignorant forwards able to put their paw on a ball with two or three hanging off them, no one in the Ards as yet meets that criteria so need to look elsewhere.

Is it just me JC , but the current senior squad seem to have a great attitude , and was this something missing in many Down hurlers in recent years. Rónán Sheehan seems intensely committed , and it seems to be rubbing off on the players.

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on November 23, 2020, 09:10:37 PM
I thought Down played the better hurling with some great scoring. But kildare size proved the difference. Though the goals were a bit slack but onwards and upwards for the hurlers Joe McDonagh next year.
Might be a few sore footballers this evening after watching a cavan team we shouldve beaten last week win the ulster title today over a very fancied Donegal.  Although Cavan probably a more physical match for Donegal than Down wouldve been. But we will never know and congrats to Cavan and Tipp .

Inability to win possession up the field an issue for the hurlers, one that in all fairness they worked reasonably well to negate. Kildare more direct and their half back line dominated most of the second half.

A good season for the hurlers all in but need some big ignorant forwards able to put their paw on a ball with two or three hanging off them, no one in the Ards as yet meets that criteria so need to look elsewhere.

Is it just me JC , but the current senior squad seem to have a great attitude , and was this something missing in many Down hurlers in recent years. Rónán Sheehan seems intensely committed , and it seems to be rubbing off on the players.

Fair play to Ronan, he does seem to build up a relationship with the players and a good few he'd have been involved with through the development squads and the likes but there was no club county divide due to Covid which probably helped him get some lads to commit to the shortened intercounty scene.
Normally you'd be playing a CR game on the Saturday and an Antrim League game on the Sunday and that's too much for some of the older lads.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on November 24, 2020, 08:05:10 AM

Fair play to Ronan, he does seem to build up a relationship with the players and a good few he'd have been involved with through the development squads and the likes but there was no club county divide due to Covid which probably helped him get some lads to commit to the shortened intercounty scene.
Normally you'd be playing a CR game on the Saturday and an Antrim League game on the Sunday and that's too much for some of the older lads.
Tbf, Antrim will make fixtures suit their clubs and county teams. They'll not go out of their way to suit Down county team fixtures which often don't always coincide with Antrim county team . It seems to Me that Ulster GAA should step up to make a meaningful Ulster League , so that Foen clubs don't have to play in Antrim leagues

johnnycool

Quote from: 6th sam on November 24, 2020, 05:19:40 PM

Tbf, Antrim will make fixtures suit their clubs and county teams. They'll not go out of their way to suit Down county team fixtures which often don't always coincide with Antrim county team . It seems to Me that Ulster GAA should step up to make a meaningful Ulster League , so that Foen clubs don't have to play in Antrim leagues

When in Rome and all that.

TBH if the Ulster Council were to come up with a league for everyone and Antrim decided they were still going it alone we'd probably stay with Antrim.
The main reason being is that you know when a fixture is set it won't be pulled for a football game, with the Ulster Council pulling the strings you can bet your bottom dollar that if a Derry dual club was having issues with fixtures the hurling ones will get the chop. We couldn't afford for that to happen.

6th sam

Quote from: johnnycool on November 24, 2020, 07:17:28 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on November 24, 2020, 05:19:40 PM

When in Rome and all that.

TBH if the Ulster Council were to come up with a league for everyone and Antrim decided they were still going it alone we'd probably stay with Antrim.
The main reason being is that you know when a fixture is set it won't be pulled for a football game, with the Ulster Council pulling the strings you can bet your bottom dollar that if a Derry dual club was having issues with fixtures the hurling ones will get the chop. We couldn't afford for that to happen.
Fair point

Ed Hardy

Any word on who will get the U20's job? I would have liked wee James to take it, as he's coached a lot of players as minor manager.

ardtole

I'd like to see Conor Laverty get it.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: ardtole on November 28, 2020, 04:40:15 PM
I'd like to see Conor Laverty get it.

Why?? So we can have another group of players who say what they want on the pitch and then fight it in higher authority to get cleared... no thank you...

Godsown

Quote from: Ed Hardy on November 28, 2020, 04:21:06 PM
Any word on who will get the U20's job? I would have liked wee James to take it, as he's coached a lot of players as minor manager.

Ffs that's brought them all on well.

downjim

Niall and Barney be a good fit for the u20s?

down0202

Dinky McBride away to Clonduff. Good appointment?

johnnycool

Quote from: downjim on November 30, 2020, 08:50:57 AM
Niall and Barney be a good fit for the u20s?

Benny Coulter has it in the bag.

yewtree

I'd like to see Pete McGrath get and have Niall McAleenan as his assistant. I think would be a great chance for Niall to learn off Pete and an opportunity away from the Barney on his own. But some people overplay the Barney card as Barney hasn't won much at championship level.
We owe so much to Pete and feel we should definitely bring him back in to the county set up. Benny also is still cutting his teeth so leave him be for a few years until he gets that experience.

downjim

Next years u20s should be good with loads of players getting action in the SFC this year for the top teams which is an encouraging sign.

thewobbler

Quote from: yewtree on November 30, 2020, 03:30:06 PM
I'd like to see Pete McGrath get and have Niall McAleenan as his assistant. I think would be a great chance for Niall to learn off Pete and an opportunity away from the Barney on his own. But some people overplay the Barney card as Barney hasn't won much at championship level.
We owe so much to Pete and feel we should definitely bring him back in to the county set up. Benny also is still cutting his teeth so leave him be for a few years until he gets that experience.

Wee Pete would be a great choice, but forget Niall. What Down really needs is 3 of the 1994 panel joining Pete as selectors. Great bunch of lads.