Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Well bollocks to that :-\

Saffrongael

Back to earth with a bang

Dublin 3-32 Antrim 1-18
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

LC

Getting walloped by 20 points by a team they should have beaten in the league.

To say consistency is a problem is an understatement.

Saffrongael

Quote from: LC on May 11, 2024, 05:37:37 PMGetting walloped by 20 points by a team they should have beaten in the league.

To say consistency is a problem is an understatement.

Two different teams today and the league is the league as they say. Once we go out of Corrigan anything is possible, and not in a good way.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

NAG1

Really but not again wholly unexpected unfortunately.

Hard to see where to go from here.

I wonder what will come out of the strategic review  :o

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 08:51:29 AMReally but not again wholly unexpected unfortunately.

That's the thing about strategic reviews, they are dependent on who is writing them and who is reading them. Here's my strategic review, we still haven't upped our game at inter county under age level.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on Today at 09:02:47 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on Today at 08:51:29 AMReally but not again wholly unexpected unfortunately.

That's the thing about strategic reviews, they are dependent on who is writing them and who is reading them. Here's my strategic review, we still haven't upped our game at inter county under age level.

Do you think we (antrim players) prefer the club over the county? Because, even at underage, the best players are still not all involved, and that's not down to the mentors
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on Today at 09:05:15 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on Today at 09:02:47 AM

Do you think we (antrim players) prefer the club over the county? Because, even at underage, the best players are still not all involved, and that's not down to the mentors

That is a huge issue but a lot of that comes down to the environment, if our development squads are really top quality places to be involved in and be around then kids will go to them and parents will buy in.

If we continue paying lip service to them then we will continue to get the current levels of interest.

To be fair they have improved but there is still a long way to go.

JonnyD_

i keep coming back to the players - the current crop! we definitely have something with the players. getting them all out with a full pre-season behind them and injury free and can beat the best.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JonnyD_ on Today at 10:57:24 AMi keep coming back to the players - the current crop! we definitely have something with the players. getting them all out with a full pre-season behind them and injury free and can beat the best.

It's serious commitment, 3 nights a week, your own S&C on your days off, game at the weekend or away for the weekend, no breaks in the year, still doing your bit with club when you can and its not as good as it sounds.

I'm not surprised that there are drop outs, or breaks in training and no surprises that they have injuries, some toll on the body, but we lack quality depth which when you look at some of the games lately the lads coming on to some county teams as subs have some impact.

Whether we can beat the best is debatable, certainly in one off league games or Championship games at Corrigan we can be competitive but being consistent needs crops of players coming through every year, otherwise, which has been happening for a few years, we burn out that squad, they all retire around the same time and we play the Christy Ring for a year or two!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on Today at 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: JonnyD_ on Today at 10:57:24 AMi keep coming back to the players - the current crop! we definitely have something with the players. getting them all out with a full pre-season behind them and injury free and can beat the best.

It's serious commitment, 3 nights a week, your own S&C on your days off, game at the weekend or away for the weekend, no breaks in the year, still doing your bit with club when you can and its not as good as it sounds.

I'm not surprised that there are drop outs, or breaks in training and no surprises that they have injuries, some toll on the body, but we lack quality depth which when you look at some of the games lately the lads coming on to some county teams as subs have some impact.

Whether we can beat the best is debatable, certainly in one off league games or Championship games at Corrigan we can be competitive but being consistent needs crops of players coming through every year, otherwise, which has been happening for a few years, we burn out that squad, they all retire around the same time and we play the Christy Ring for a year or two!

I'd say closer to 5 nights in reality, which when you think of it is crazy.

imtommygunn

You can see it with the yoyoing in the likes of Westmeath, Laois and Carlow too. The effort to get up to that next level is huge. Gleeson has had them committing though this year has been funny with quite a few coming in late.

It's a hard thing to sustain and then the carrot at the end of it is to hope to be competitive - it won't be for everyone.

Same for football and hurling these days.

Slemishgael

Can the hurlers dust themselves down and give it a real go in corrigan at the weekend against Galway?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Slemishgael on Today at 10:42:51 PMCan the hurlers dust themselves down and give it a real go in corrigan at the weekend against Galway?

Galway are a wounded animal at the minute and need (as we do) all the points. Hopefully we get a reaction too

Kidder81

Galway usually lay waste to teams weaker than them, the opposite of Wexford really. Hard to make a case for Antrim getting within 10 points