Is it finally time for two refs for all county games

Started by sligoman2, September 03, 2014, 01:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of two refs on a trial basis for inter county games

Yes
No

Beffs

A lot of all this crap could be cut out, if they had a TMO, like in rugby.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Disillusioned on July 11, 2016, 12:03:57 AM
Read this to see how referees are manipulated at county level:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/john-fogarty/gaa-referees-back-in-the-crosshairs-408527.html

Shaking hands with the ref is and has always been par for the course, generally the wining team will always thank the official after the match and during it (when he awards a free against the other team) gaining a perceived advantage in any game is not gamesmanship in my view its about covering all areas, no stone unturned ....

Players calling you (the ref) by name during games tends to annoy players that don't know the ref's name... for whatever reason they think you're best mates!! Again can't be helped, players will do that....

but to say that a referee will deliberately be biased on a game that is being watched by 1500 at the game, assessors in the stand and watched by how many thousand on tv and assessed by the jokers at halftime and fulltime is deluded.. They don't get to that level being biased or easy influenced... it will only go against them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sligoman2

With all the discussion about the Kerry free that wasn't given I thought I would rehash this thread.  I thought the ref was good today but NO one person can monitor everything and can't be close to the action all the time..

I personally think 2 refs is crucial in order to minimize the number of bad and missed calls. Game is too fast for one ref -  gaa powers should realize this. I would also suggest a tv ref
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Chimley

Fuzzman

Sligoman there are already 2 linesmen and 4 umpires who all communicate with the red during the game but I agree for the big televised game a TV official would be worth a try.

I think it could be left to the referee's discretion what he wants them to look at and so like Hawkeye they decide to ask for advice like the rugby refs do. It would be very helpful to see if there were yellow or red card offences or if someone just dived. Linesmen can inform the ref of something he missed and then he goes to the TV official to tell him what he sees.

sligoman2

Linesmen are not out on the field where the action is.  Refs are but they can't be where the ball is kicked from and where it lands at he same time.  A decent kick of 60 yards will take about 2 seconds while it would take a ref at least 10 seconds to run that far.

Tv ref would watch be able to tell the ref what actually happened not what the ref thought he saw from 60 yards away - especially when an all ireland semi final is on the line

Jinxy

Give me an idea of how that would work in practice though?
What incidents would it be used for?

Wildweasel74

Don't know about 2 ref but a ref from a neutral province would be a bloody good start

From the Bunker

The last day we had three Referees controlling the game. One in the middle and 2 either side along the line. If you give the 2 on the side a small bit more power, would it help?

Wildweasel74

Not if its the 2 duffy brothers, you be asking for trouble lol

An Gaeilgoir

How about looking at the sin bin for yellow cards...Micko is no longer around to lead the crusade against it...has to be better than the black card....

mrdeeds

Maybe keep the black card for body check and abusing officials and other players. If a player is deliberately fouled when through on goal then give a straight red.

Jinxy

Okay.
Lets imagine an alternate universe where we had a video ref for the game yesterday.
Tell me which incidents the video ref was called on for.

sligoman2

Quote from: Jinxy on August 29, 2016, 10:42:41 PM
Okay.
Lets imagine an alternate universe where we had a video ref for the game yesterday.
Tell me which incidents the video ref was called on for.
Off the top of my head

1) The McMenamin shoulder to the Chest in the last few minutes
2) The second Kerry Goal, perhaps a slo mo view of whether or not the whole ball crossed the line rather than an umpire who seemed to make the right call but was blocked somewhat by Cluxton
3)  A lot of the off the ball stuff that cameras pick up but refs don't

I don't understand why people say 2 linesmen and a ref is enough, it's not, why not at least try 2 refs and a TV ref.  I know old habits die hard, but I think it's time for two refs and a time clock - I've been beating this drum for some time and will  continue the good fight..

I would assume that 2 refs result in less fouls been called as players would be aware of the proximity of the refs.