2019 All Ireland Football Qualifiers

Started by Don Draper, June 11, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCFC

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 29, 2019, 11:25:08 PM
Well done folks. Best of luck in the next round and tomorrow in the hurling. Thoroughly deserved. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't extremely disappointed.
Go n-éirí libh.
We'll never know if those two star under 20 forwards (Johnston and Farrell?) might have given Offaly the bit of extra firepower they seemed to lack.
It was still a good enough season for ye. Maughan seems to have a very happy camp.

High Fielder

Quote from: Don Draper on June 30, 2019, 07:41:51 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on June 29, 2019, 11:20:48 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 29, 2019, 10:55:24 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 29, 2019, 10:36:26 PM
No I wasn't. We really were haemorrhaging scores. Certain players were getting rinsed. It was a great team effort in the second half to push us on, but we won't get away with such looseness against better teams. It was a good open game of football that we might have lost pre Sugrue
Massive overreaction. I'm gonna leave you off.

A King's pardon.
The well bred know when to move forward and leave the past behind.

Hopefully you were consistent and told Laois Today, and from what I gather Jack Nolan and Chris Conway, that they over reacted too.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on June 30, 2019, 09:55:31 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 30, 2019, 07:41:51 AM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on June 29, 2019, 11:20:48 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 29, 2019, 10:55:24 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on June 29, 2019, 10:36:26 PM
No I wasn't. We really were haemorrhaging scores. Certain players were getting rinsed. It was a great team effort in the second half to push us on, but we won't get away with such looseness against better teams. It was a good open game of football that we might have lost pre Sugrue
Massive overreaction. I'm gonna leave you off.

A King's pardon.
The well bred know when to move forward and leave the past behind.

Hopefully you were consistent and told Laois Today, and from what I gather Jack Nolan and Chris Conway, that they over reacted too.
Relax, you're overreacting still.

Nameless

Great to get the win and get back into round 4. I thought Dillon had a very good game, especially second half. O'Loughlin started very well, Lillis had one of his best games. Scully's direct running causes all sorts of problems and Paul Kingston had a great game. Donie showed some moments of absolute class, how he was left 1 v 1 in this day and age is beyond belief. That was the way it was for both sides though. There was so much space for the inside forwards. It's clear we need to tighten up but having Timmons and Begley there would make such a difference.
Cork, Galway or Cavan next, we'd be underdogs against any of them obviously. We still have so much to improve on, defensively as already noted, the silly turnovers and again the wasted chances in front of goal. It'd be great to have Begley back for next week and I think Evan has to start. Fair play to Ross, great servant and did alright yesterday but with the ball he got, I think O'Carroll would have destroyed Offaly.

High Fielder

Maybe. Maybe not. Let the people talk about the game Don. You steal way too much oxygen out of the forum on a daily basis

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great game to watch because of the tactics used by both managers and also the sensible refereeing throughout the game.
At last we are moving the ball quicker and lads are finding the pockets of space. That was happening a bit before but when we would find that space the ball was way too slow into that space and the advantage was lost. Almost everyone played their part in that win but we must improve even more next week to beat either of the 3 teams we will meet.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

thegreeenandgold

I think Offaly could not stick the pace of the game, always going to try and give it a go in the first half. But the writing was on the wall early doors.  We looked a level above and Offaly just could not handle the pace.   While loving Sugrues way of doing things ,we have yet to beat anyone in a Division above us under his management.  We are developing nicely and this will come sooner or later.  For now Laois Football is in a nice place.

You have to love the attitude that Sugrue is developing, everyone working their hardest.  It's great to see the honesty.

Don Draper

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on June 30, 2019, 01:06:26 PM
I think Offaly could not stick the pace of the game, always going to try and give it a go in the first half. But the writing was on the wall early doors.
Finally someone gets it. 10 rah at the break was great for us, anyone could see that. I'd every confidence our lads could get the upper hand.

Jd

Were Westmeath not a division above us last year when we beat them in Leinster last year

thegreeenandgold

They were you are correct but had they not completely imploded at that stage ?  Manager had all but resigned and players were opting out en masse.

the sash

great result last  night, what's impressive for me is that evertime we play, somebody else steps up to the mark. last night it was the kingstons turn to shine and boy did  they. thought paul's workrate and his ability to bring others into the game stood out last night. we looked a little nervous at times in defence when left in one on one situations in the full back line although we turned over alot of ball.  they played quick counter attacking football in the first half which we struggled with. its great that we are able to empty our bench and still finish strong. credit to sugrue and co, if you'd have said to me at the start of the year that ross would be starting a championship match this late on, but sugrue has for his match ups right. would be great to take a big scalp the next day while we have made good progession we probably have only beatin teams in championship that we would have expected to at the start of the year.

MasterJ

thegreeenandgold

Really the best we could of hoped for, a very winnable game.

Over the Bar