There,ll never be a hurl in Bellaghy

Started by ha ha derry, September 04, 2009, 08:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonesfirstandlast

Just to requote McCloy " There'll never be a hurl in Bellaghy"

whiskeysteve

sure only a simple fellow would proclaim himself the greater gael because his club won a lock of football titles.

the gaa was established to preserve our culture and heritage in the face of adversity

bellaghy have abandoned their national heritage for the simple path, dominion of one code - ye are the poorer cousins of the derry gaa fraternity
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

theskull1

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 04, 2009, 11:33:59 AM
To my mind clubs like Lavey and Dungiven/Kevin Lynches are the best clubs in derry in terms of their GAA ethos.

For years they have stood strongly for both codes rather than take the easier road of focusing on one.

They are the better gaels for having followed the vision of Michael Cusack et al in the 'preservation and cultivation of national pastimes'.

And that is the truth

Football people who say "burn the hurls" cannot be considered as "real GAA" folk in terms of the ethos of the orginisation. The biggist threat to hurling doesn't come from soccer or rugby by from people who consider themselves to be GAA men.

But lets face it winning is more important to these people than an upholding any ethos
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

tonesfirstandlast

How many were at the semi finals in Celtic Park last Sunday? Embarrassing!

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 04, 2009, 12:00:24 PM
sure only a simple fellow would proclaim himself the greater gael because his club won a lock of football titles.

the gaa was established to preserve our culture and heritage in the face of adversity
bellaghy have abandoned their national heritage for the simple path, dominion of one code - ye are the poorer cousins of the derry gaa fraternity

Don't make me fecking laugh.
Bog men!
This is the 21st century!
Move on!

ha ha derry

More than was at the football the week before. Alot of those real gaels will also be there on the 13th to watch the football also.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 04, 2009, 12:01:29 PM

less in number, but greater gaels all!

football is the simple sport for the simple folk - hence the high numbers.

Like viewing figures for the x-factor, quantity does not always mean quality  ;D
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: ha ha derry on September 04, 2009, 12:05:49 PM
More than was at the football the week before. Alot of those real gaels will also be there on the 13th to watch the football aslo.

You are the parasites of the GAA. Use the money made by the footballers! No wonder Dungiven call themselves the Magpies!  ;D

whiskeysteve

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 04, 2009, 12:03:56 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 04, 2009, 12:00:24 PM

Don't make me fecking laugh.
Bog men!
This is the 21st century!
Move on!

you should take your own advice when proclaiming the greatness of bellaghy!  ;D

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 04, 2009, 12:07:21 PM

Like viewing figures for the x-factor, quantity does not always mean quality  ;D
Bullshit.. any game that uses weapons and you have to wear helmets can't be called a sport! ;D

johnneycool

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 04, 2009, 11:59:57 AM
Just to requote McCloy " There'll never be a hurl in Bellaghy"

This man is currently county chairman I believe.

He's obviously entitled to his opinion but it should in no way cloud his judgement in such a post as he has to be supportiive of all codes under his jurisdiction and the way club hurling fixtures have been handled in Derry not to mention Brian Magillians outburst last year at how the county hurling team was treated you'd have to question him on that.

ha ha derry

The county boards biggest expenditure is the county football team. a waste of money. too many bellaghy men involved to be successful. don,t waste any more money on them . buy hurls for the bellaghy children instead.

tonesfirstandlast

Have a think about Derry Hurling!

Everybody south of the border stuffs Antrim.#

Antrim stuffs Down

Down Stuffs Derry

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Give it up and stop spending our money which could be used to develop football!

Franko

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 04, 2009, 12:10:25 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on September 04, 2009, 12:07:21 PM

Bullshit.. any game that uses weapons and you have to wear helmets can't be called a sport! ;D

Aha... so thats the issue... come on tfal, admit it, ye wouldnt have the balls for it...!!  :D :D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on September 04, 2009, 12:08:13 PM
Quote from: ha ha derry on September 04, 2009, 12:05:49 PM
More than was at the football the week before. Alot of those real gaels will also be there on the 13th to watch the football aslo.

You are the parasites of the GAA. Use the money made by the footballers! No wonder Dungiven call themselves the Magpies!  ;D

I presume you are just trying to be controversial, a bit silly imo.

the whole hurling v football debate is also daft, as despite having much the same rules, they are very different games.
You just cannot compare.

Ha Ha Derry might be a bit of a headbanger but he is merely pointing out that for whatever reasons, Bellaghy dont and wont play hurling.

You could argue that for a team solely concentrating on the one game, they should be winning championships. But that would be glossing over the complexity of whats involved in teams winning championships.

The same batches of players in the dual clubs generally play football and hurling. I dont see any rows between the KL's and Canices in dungiven, they were sharing pitches a month ago so unless all has fallen through since then, this level of symbiotic cooperation remains.

Lastly - I've heard the big show say a lot of things - havent heard him say 'its my round lads' for a wee while !  ;) :D