James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: SHEEDY on December 17, 2017, 08:52:45 PM
it proves how poor a sporting year we've had. no real stand out candidates and the winner came from a team that ultimately failed to qualify for the world cup. katie taylor, ryan burnett or joe canning for me with joe just shading it.
I'd give the award to Joe for "that point" alone. That Galway team were seen as perennial chokers and they rammed it down the throat of every begrudger, so for that alone he's ahead of McClean.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 09:45:12 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 17, 2017, 09:27:37 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 08:40:46 PM
Look - Why has this got to turn into a Womens Boxing is shite in order to prove McClean is a more worthy winner?
Taylor is a far more deserving winner. She's the best at what she does. McClean isn't even a very good footballer.  Plenty of heart but let's be honest he is fairly average.
I'd love to see some of you lads get into a boxing ring with Taylor...

I have to problem recognising Taylor. The title says Irish sports personality of the year 2017. It's not about being the best (well not really). It's about the Personality of the Sportsperson, how happy they made you feel and how attached you feel to that person.

Katie Taylor has achieved so much in her career. And her success makes me happy and proud. But I would not be as attached as I would be to Mayo football or Rep. of Ireland national side.
RTÉ Sports Person of the Year which Katie Taylor won before in 2012. Are you mixing it up with the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 17, 2017, 10:20:02 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 17, 2017, 09:45:12 PM
Look - Why has this got to turn into a Womens Boxing is shite in order to prove McClean is a more worthy winner?
Taylor is a far more deserving winner. She's the best at what she does. McClean isn't even a very good footballer.  Plenty of heart but let's be honest he is fairly average.

I have to problem recognising Taylor. The title says Irish sports personality of the year 2017. It's not about being the best (well not really). It's about the Personality of the Sportsperson, how happy they made you feel and how attached you feel to that person.

Katie Taylor has achieved so much in her career. And her success makes me happy and proud. But I would not be as attached as I would be to Mayo football or Rep. of Ireland national side.
RTÉ Sports Person of the Year which Katie Taylor won before in 2012. Are you mixing it up with the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award?

Yeah, you are right! It Person rather than Personality - well that's that - Katie Taylor!

longballin

Sports Person is open to interpretation like it could include their character and that. It's doesn't say best achiever in sport.

HiMucker

the irony of you posting these two statements together  ;D
I'd love to see you playing against McLean.  Average footballer in the EPL, but anyone getting to that level would take the complete piss out of the local sunday league stars.

laoislad

Quote from: HiMucker on December 17, 2017, 11:26:19 PM
I'd love to see you playing against McLean.  Average footballer in the EPL, but anyone getting to that level would take the complete piss out of the local sunday league stars.
The difference is I'm only saying McClean is average not the sport he plays. People here are slagging off women's boxing not just Taylor herself. I bet none of them would last a round against any female boxer.
I'd actually pay very good money to see the likes of BennyCake or EC Unique GJL get into a ring with Katie Taylor.
Btw I'd have McClean in my back pocket  8)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

HiMucker

Quote from: laoislad on December 17, 2017, 11:32:19 PM
Quote from: HiMucker on December 17, 2017, 11:26:19 PM
The difference is I'm only saying McClean is average not the sport he plays. People here are slagging off women's boxing not just Taylor herself. I bet none of them would last a round against any female boxer.
Btw I'd have McClean in my back pocket  8)
And Id bate Katie round the ring ;) :P

ashman

Fair play to JMC .  The public  voted and he won . 

seafoid

There are 2 kinds of winners.

1. Really outstanding sportspeople such as BOD, Roy Keane  and Shefflin.
2 The rest are in the Who he?  category. Nobody will remember McClean 20 years from now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTÉ_Sports_Person_of_the_Year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Quote from: seafoid on December 18, 2017, 04:10:48 AM
There are 2 kinds of winners.

1. Really outstanding sportspeople such as BOD, Roy Keane  and Shefflin.
2 The rest are in the Who he?  category. Nobody will remember McClean 20 years from now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTÉ_Sports_Person_of_the_Year

We'll certainly not forget Keane at home walking his dog when Ireland was playing the World Cup in 2002. McClean will be remembered.

AZOffaly

I was happy for McLean to win, even though I would have thought Katie was more deserving. However James McLean wears his heart on his sleeve on and off the field, and has never backed off his convictions. I think he's a sound lad, and the sort of fella that you'd like to have a few pints with. He does some daft things when discretion would be the better part of valour, but he does it with absolute belief in his stances. Probably the 'wrong' result, but I'm happy he won.

The bigger travesty is how the 'rapper' and his cohorts won the Team of the Year.

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 18, 2017, 10:12:05 AM
I was happy for McLean to win, even though I would have thought Katie was more deserving. However James McLean wears his heart on his sleeve on and off the field, and has never backed off his convictions. I think he's a sound lad, and the sort of fella that you'd like to have a few pints with. He does some daft things when discretion would be the better part of valour, but he does it with absolute belief in his stances. Probably the 'wrong' result, but I'm happy he won.

The bigger travesty is how the 'rapper' and his cohorts won the Team of the Year.

Young McClean would be on the fizzy water though..but I agree, a good spud !

Main Street

Showjumping?? wtf!!  what do Dublin have to do?  even Donegal won that award in recent years

In these modest times for Irish intl football McClean would probably be in for poty,  but for sports person of the year? that smells of a typical Nordie voting conspiracy.

Antrim Coaster

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 18, 2017, 10:12:05 AM

Dosen't drink.
Met him a couple of times and he's a sound skin.
No airs or graces about him

rrhf

Certainly one of the best players Ireland have had in 15 years. Like a front footed Roy Keane. Sends out an important message that Irish soccer is not a cold house.