GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 11, 2020, 12:12:00 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 11, 2020, 11:50:34 AM
I don't think I'll be hiring you if I need a Solicitor .

So what is the legal point here?

Player A gets sued by his own family, because he played a Game of Gaelic Football (which was legally allowed by the Government), a family member of Player A then caught coronavirus and died....is this the path we are thinking along the lines of? If so, get the coach and horses ready.

All nonsense of course. Even if they could prove cause and effect, which is impossible.

Itchy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 12, 2020, 12:49:47 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 11, 2020, 09:11:00 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 11, 2020, 03:20:14 PM
Can't turn around in a year and say right no vaccine let's all get back to playing after saying about no play until social distancing ends. Social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.

'course you can.

If someone discovers an easily administered treatment therapy that reduces case mortality to <0.001% then you'll see changes very quickly.

Stop trying to deal in absolutes, its just stupid.
That's one helluva big if.
Medical opinion is pretty unanimous that a working vaccine won't be available until the end of the year. I take anything else I hear as fake news. E
When when a vaccine is discovered, all hell will break loose as the vaccine will not be made available to all - the rich and powerful nations will head the queue and the rest of us can go suck the hind tit.
I agree with Larry that until  a vaccine is found, and freely availabe, safe distancing will be with us.

In fairness he said treatment not vaccine. There are some drugs out there currently used to treat other things that are being tested as a treatment against covid 19. They have already been clinically trialled sonar safe to use. IF one of those could fight the virus it would be a game changer and it should come before a vaccine. A number are currently being tested.

armaghniac

Quote from: Itchy on May 12, 2020, 11:50:20 PM
In fairness he said treatment not vaccine. There are some drugs out there currently used to treat other things that are being tested as a treatment against covid 19. They have already been clinically trialled sonar safe to use. IF one of those could fight the virus it would be a game changer and it should come before a vaccine. A number are currently being tested.

With treatments you get one drug that slows the virus 10% and that does some good. You get another drug that boosts the immune system by a bit and that helps. But give the two together and the boosted immune system can often beat the slowed down virus and then a lot of people can benefit. Then they get a better understanding of specific ways the virus affects people and this helps people too. It will never be the common cold but it might be reduced to being a bad dose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hound

There's an argument that under 40s should be let play away (and work away for that matter). The number of deaths in this age group from Covid is tiny and almost all with an underlying condition. So as much chance of dying from a sudden heart attack as Covid-19.

Obviously there'd need to be common sense, nobody with even a cold should be playing or attending games. People who have asthma or who are obese should stay away too, but I think a coherent case could be made to allow the healthy U40s try and get back to normal. (I'm over 40 by the way so should be kept under current lockdown measures for a little while longer!)

Rossfan

Would they be under 40s who live on their own or who work in solitary positions?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Itchy

Quote from: Hound on May 13, 2020, 12:23:46 PM
There's an argument that under 40s should be let play away (and work away for that matter). The number of deaths in this age group from Covid is tiny and almost all with an underlying condition. So as much chance of dying from a sudden heart attack as Covid-19.

Obviously there'd need to be common sense, nobody with even a cold should be playing or attending games. People who have asthma or who are obese should stay away too, but I think a coherent case could be made to allow the healthy U40s try and get back to normal. (I'm over 40 by the way so should be kept under current lockdown measures for a little while longer!)

Totally missing the point. the less than 40 year old can get infected, can take up a hospital bed, can put strain on our hospital and front line workers, can infect their work colleagues, can spread disease to the vulnerable and yet as you say only a tiny amount of them will die.

Lar Naparka

Can't turn around in a year and say right no vaccine let's all get back to playing after saying about no play until social distancing ends. Social distancing will be here until a vaccine is found end of story.

'course you can.

If someone discovers an easily administered treatment therapy that reduces case mortality to <0.001% then you'll see changes very quickly.

Medical opinion is pretty unanimous that a working vaccine won't be available until the end of the year. I take anything else I hear as fake news. E
When when a vaccine is discovered, all hell will break loose as the vaccine will not be made available to all - the rich and powerful nations will head the queue and the rest of us can go suck the hind tit.
I agree with Larry that until  a vaccine is found, and freely availabe, safe distancing will be with us.

Fair point, Itchy but for all practical purposes, a vaccine is needed. One can experiment with other drugs/treatments thast may slow the progress of the virus or boost peoples' immune systems or whatever, but nothing, ASAIK, will stop the virus in its tracks except a working vaccine, which has still to be created.
Incidentally, I am one of the unlucky ones who contracted the bastard. I wonder if any/many Gaaboard members fell foul of it also. I was cat lucky because I am over 70 and have a serious underlying health problem (kidney failure) so that was a double whammy. However, although I was hospitalised in a bad way, I pepped up and was released 4 days later.
Thankfully, I am making a complete recovery with no lasting ill effects. (At least I hope not.)(
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

armaghniac

The other thing that would save the day would be widespread testing onsite. A number of teams internationally are working on a breathalyser type device,  if this did not cost the earth and worked (big if) then games, training etc would involve people blowing into one of these yokes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 13, 2020, 01:23:43 PM

'course you can.

Fair point, Itchy but for all practical purposes, a vaccine is needed. One can experiment with other drugs/treatments thast may slow the progress of the virus or boost peoples' immune systems or whatever, but nothing, ASAIK, will stop the virus in its tracks except a working vaccine, which has still to be created.
Incidentally, I am one of the unlucky ones who contracted the bastard. I wonder if any/many Gaaboard members fell foul of it also. I was cat lucky because I am over 70 and have a serious underlying health problem (kidney failure) so that was a double whammy. However, although I was hospitalised in a bad way, I pepped up and was released 4 days later.
Thankfully, I am making a complete recovery with no lasting ill effects. (At least I hope not.)(
Well done you on your recovery, I'd been keen to hear if there are others on here who also caught the virus?

Being nosey have you been able to trace where I you caught it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Good stuff!

[yep, agreed that a vaccine is needed - but it isn't the only route back to a running economy]
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Sorry to hear your got the Covid Lar.
Glad you got through it and hope you have no after effects.
Clear here so far but Ros has overtaken Mayo as most cases per head of population and is now the worst in the West.

GetOverTheBar

'course you can.

Best wishes on your recovery sir.

Rossfan

Itchy

'course you can.

Glad to hear you made a recovery. Agreed the holy grail is a vaccine. However when you consider the challenge in front of government (and they have to be quite cold about it) they need to balance opening back up normal life versus risk of death. Would "treatments" that reduce death rate from 4% to 1% (made up numbers) be ok verus getting businesses and sports and whatever running again. I cant answer that. Obviously in this made up scenario, we'd all prefer 1% to be 0%. If 1% is not ok then what number is, obviously zero is best but zero probably requires a vacine.

Hound

Quote from: Itchy on May 13, 2020, 12:38:22 PM
Quote from: Hound on May 13, 2020, 12:23:46 PM

Totally missing the point. the less than 40 year old can get infected, can take up a hospital bed, can put strain on our hospital and front line workers, can infect their work colleagues, can spread disease to the vulnerable and yet as you say only a tiny amount of them will die.

Very very few healthy under 40s need hospitalisation when they catch Covid-19.

There'll always be risk. And if going out to do groceries and take exercise is acceptable risk to society, then letting healthy under 40s play ball is increasing that risk by a tiny amount compared to the benefits it will have.