GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 11, 2020, 09:40:30 AM
1 year? What if they can never get a vaccine

They probably will and there will come a point when there will be more calculated "risks" etc. I don't think society or the GAA is stuffed for the next 5 years(or forever).

Smurfy123

But what if they can't get a vaccine? No point saying they probably will
Captain that's my point no problem waiting. But until a vaccine is found?
Just think Horans words may come back to bite him. Social distancing is here until a vaccine is found that's for sure.

Captain Scarlet

Smurfy but it's better to be bringing something forward and having laid out the worst case in my mind.
Like the Leaving Certs were told back in school in July, then talk of online and after all that they decide on something else that they are figuring out how to implement...
Or even the Premier League talking of getting going with three Brighton lads with Covid.
No harm with a cold hard dose of reality and then if anything cahnges for the better it's a bonus.
That's just me mind. Like I don't think anyone would care what he said if he was delivering some better news in a few months based on the medical state of play.

County season is a non-runner I reckon, but like clubs could end up having to tog out without a star player if they are living at home with older parents or are front line workers...
It's total shite but it's where we are at and it's a total legal minefield too.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

imtommygunn

They probably will but if they can't society will still have to return to normal somehow - eventually.

The GAA should follow society though.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 11, 2020, 10:10:24 AM
Smurfy but it's better to be bringing something forward and having laid out the worst case in my mind.
Like the Leaving Certs were told back in school in July, then talk of online and after all that they decide on something else that they are figuring out how to implement...
Or even the Premier League talking of getting going with three Brighton lads with Covid.
No harm with a cold hard dose of reality and then if anything cahnges for the better it's a bonus.
That's just me mind. Like I don't think anyone would care what he said if he was delivering some better news in a few months based on the medical state of play.

County season is a non-runner I reckon, but like clubs could end up having to tog out without a star player if they are living at home with older parents or are front line workers...
It's total shite but it's where we are at and it's a total legal minefield too.

Not really, this is the one area where GAA amateur ethos will be a winner for them. There is no payment, the players will choose to play (provided the Government allows it). There will be no legal backlash.

Rossfan

I don't think I'll be hiring you if I need a Solicitor .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rossfan on May 11, 2020, 11:50:34 AM
I don't think I'll be hiring you if I need a Solicitor .

So what is the legal point here?

Player A gets sued by his own family, because he played a Game of Gaelic Football (which was legally allowed by the Government), a family member of Player A then caught coronavirus and died....is this the path we are thinking along the lines of? If so, get the coach and horses ready.

rodney trotter

Quote from: supersub on May 10, 2020, 03:49:04 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 10, 2020, 07:18:20 AM
Not really . Phase 4 and 5 of the phased announcement were vague. Leo in his speech said GAA wasn't a full contact sport, and put it at stage 4 and Rugby at stage 5..
He didn't explain about it being a Amateur sport, and how would players get tested or self isolate.?  Or why he thinks GAA club teams could return in July, when professional Leagues in Europe are suspended till September at the earliest

He just didn't want to spoil the party with his announcement.

Well, yes really actually. The only medical opinions that will matter are those that the government liaise with. What happens or the timescale is a different issue. The point remains that it'll only be gov medical advisers that will matter. The rest of your post has little to do with that aspect.

So name everyone the Government are liasing with?
Cillian De Gascun is one of the top medical experts in the country, its likely he had some input. He dismissed Amateur Sport.

Rossfan

Issues would be what steps did the GAA make to ensure that players hadn't the disease before they let the game be played?
Procedures, protocols  in dressing rooms, toilets  showers etc

armaghniac

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 11, 2020, 12:24:43 PM
Quote from: supersub on May 10, 2020, 03:49:04 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on May 10, 2020, 07:18:20 AM
Not really . Phase 4 and 5 of the phased announcement were vague. Leo in his speech said GAA wasn't a full contact sport, and put it at stage 4 and Rugby at stage 5..
He didn't explain about it being a Amateur sport, and how would players get tested or self isolate.?  Or why he thinks GAA club teams could return in July, when professional Leagues in Europe are suspended till September at the earliest

He just didn't want to spoil the party with his announcement.

Well, yes really actually. The only medical opinions that will matter are those that the government liaise with. What happens or the timescale is a different issue. The point remains that it'll only be gov medical advisers that will matter. The rest of your post has little to do with that aspect.

So name everyone the Government are liasing with?
Cillian De Gascun is one of the top medical experts in the country, its likely he had some input. He dismissed Amateur Sport.

Not sure about De Gascun (great name), but Tony Holohan is a GAA man.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

sid waddell

Quote from: armaghniac on May 11, 2020, 01:52:23 PM

Not sure about De Gascun (great name), but Tony Holohan is a GAA man.
Cillian prefers the oval ball

Terenure v Ballymena 3/1/1998
Killian De Gascun of Terenure is tackled by Ballymena's Jan Cunningham
© James Meehan/INPHO

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rossfan on May 11, 2020, 01:18:05 PM
Issues would be what steps did the GAA make to ensure that players hadn't the disease before they let the game be played?
Procedures, protocols  in dressing rooms, toilets  showers etc

I understand your point, but how can you expect any kind of legal issue arising from a GAA game over the transmission of a virus that you or I might have right now, but not even know? Given that the game is amateur, there is no obligation for any player to be there, at any time unlike professional sport, where you will have to attend all team activity as part of your contract.

It would seem an easy target to attribute an infection to a game, but proving that Player A was infected during a game (and then brought it home) and not filling up at the petrol station say, just before, would be legally impossible.

If the Govt. give the go ahead to play GAA games as we know it I assume there would be caveats regarding your points above - but if you mean legal action with regards to infections arising through games that nobody can prove. It's simply a white wash in a legal sense.

Smurfy123

The uk government have handled this very bad. The worst out of everyone. BJ is useless but the one thing that stuck out for me in today's document and I believe he is right is that you can't live without risk. No matter what you do whether it be go out shopping getting the hair cut playing golf going for a pint going into work or mass the risk will always be about
The GAA need to make a decision like all sports whether they want to take a risk or close all down until a vaccine is found. I know which I would prefer.

larryin89

Gaa is an amateur sport smurfy , totally different to professional sports people in the context of covid19 restrictions, our bucks have to go to work on the Monday morning been the main difference .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Getoverthebar - there's no obligation on anybody to attend a sports fixture but there are an awful lot of spectator safety issues which the organising body is responsible for.
There will be more player safety issues needing attention now.
Turning up in Court and shrugging shoulders saying "Johnny didn't gave to play "  wouldn't be a great defence.
It might reduce the Compo payout a bit.
No doubt the GAA will have a load of new procedures and protocols based on Public Health advice to enable games go ahead when social distancing ends.