Best Galway Player Since 1990

Started by Duine Eile, November 21, 2006, 11:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do ye think is the best Galway player since 1990?

Mikey Donnellan
14 (19.7%)
Val Daly
2 (2.8%)
Kevin Walsh
7 (9.9%)
Tomas Mannion
2 (2.8%)
Padraic Joyce
30 (42.3%)
Ja Fallon
16 (22.5%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Duine Eile

Everyone else has their own poll so why not us! :) So who in ye're opinion is the most talented, and well rounded Galway player since 1990? (I've only picked 1990 coz that's as far back as my area of expertise goes!Feel free to let me know of anyone I should have included!)

Barney

As an outsider I would have to say Ja.

when ye were struggling in the early 90s he was the man that could lift some kind of performance out of ye.

Joyce has been brilliant but he did have the support staff.

OkeyDoke

A toss-up between PJ and Ja. Donnellan was electric but the other 2 were better team players and could change a game by themselves.
Kevin Walsh has been the most influential IMO. I thought Sean Og would nave worth a nomination

GaillimhIarthair

Probably either Ja or PJ but I must admit that I always had a huge amount of time for Tomas Mannion.  He had some massive games for Galway but I always feel that backs dont get the same amount of credit as forwards generally do.  Outstanding performances at corner back in '98 and centre back in '01.

Tubberman

Would Sean Og De Paor not deserve a nomination? I always rated him very highly, I thought he was one of Galway's greatest players
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

northsideboy

I would have said Joe Cooney but we don't seem to have many East Galway posters on the site ;)

mouview

PJ would get my vote though in fairness the competition since '95 in particular would be quite fierce with Sean Og, Mannion, Ja, Donnellan, Kevin Walsh (seriously underrated midfielder), Deccie Meehan, even Niall Finnegan in with a shout. Prior to '95 it would have to be Val.

In hurling, pick anyone from, (in rough order) Joeen, Mike Coleman, Ollie Canning, Kevin Broderick, Eugene Cloonan.

belleaqua

TORGAEL

Michael Donnellan. poetry in motion. its a pity injuries took the edge off him, but what a player.

Turfsmoke

Padraig Joyce.

Always there, no ifs buts or maybes.

Delivered consistently at the highest levels and on the biggest days.

The man!

Galway15

Seán óg de Paor i reckon...unreal all rounder in his prime..that soccer goal v Cork in 01, the 2 points from wing back in the 98 final, the 2 points in the rossie re play in '98...coming into the 2001 final he had actually scored more in the c.ship than his opponent that day Evan Kelly..starred when Galway were absolutely pathetic in the early 90's and was crucial when they won both All-Irelands...D E you should really have had him on this poll.....The great names like Joyce, Fallon and Donnellan were unreal but without the likes of Walsh, Mannion, Fahy and de Paor no All-Irelands would have been won... Dec Meehan must be close too..class player

Galway15

Oh Ya in Hurling theres only one Joe Cooney..better than DJ if you ask me..Nuff said

Johno07

As a mayoman Id have to say Kevin Walsh, the best midfielder of the modern era IMO. As they say forwards can do nothing unless the ball is given into them Walsh was an unreal fielder. I think the last couple of years of Joyce and Donnellan have put them back a bit in my head but still class acts in their day. Also think Niall Finnegan would be close enough to that shortlist, was class in 98.
"For the highs to be high the lows have to be low!"

myball22

I think it has to be Joyce really. I think others may have struggled from injuries which hampered the team over the years. But Joyce was influential in the winning of our first All-Ireland in 32 years in '98 but by the year 2000 and 2001 he had become a real leader of the team. If Savo had managed to find him with a pass we would be celebrating three All-Irelands in 4 years.

GalwayBayBoy

Amazing to see that Donnellan has received so little votes. Him and Ja were probably the two best all-round footballers we had. They could do everything.

I had to give it to Joyce though for producing scores on big days when they were needed and for his leadership qualities.

Would agree that Sean Og should probably be in there too. What a player he was.