Morg gone Fuels

Started by Agent Orange, November 07, 2012, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mont

arouind the time our ma were winnin/competing for trophies hughie supposedly had a say in who was o the panel - nothin to do wit picking the team or subs but who was on the panel.

btw
he is wel entitled to see that his money is spent wisely and frm the outside it dont look like this way. have they even the players to do better than currently? every county cant have a jim mcginness

killean were the breakaway club if i am correct that he formed after havin issues with killeavy

Armaghgeddon

I am amazed with what people are saying about sponsors having a say in a management capacity or making decision for the CB, astonishing.

What would Dublin make of Vodafone interfering with the Dublin setup, or the Kerry Group interfering with how Kerry are setup. Sponsors DO NOT have a say in the running of a county team, that is the job of the counties GAA board. If he doesn't approve of the setup then bye bye, thank you for your investment in Armagh football over the years and you then part ways amicably. Did Morgan do that, No.

Remember Peter McDonnell's comments when he left Armagh? - He stated that people were interfering with the management of Armagh and it made his position as manager untenable.

Thank you for the years of sponsorship Morgan, but what you said yesterday was pathetic.

As for the spending of money, you can question where the money is going. Another thing you can ask yourself is whether his interference in management has had something to do with Armagh's decline. He is supposedly one of the reason why Grimley never got the job and now he has got it, he has withdrawn his sponsorship.

NaomhBridAbú

This is a story that should never have been given the oxygen of publicity
It certainly is bad timing - and a poor start for the relationship with the new sponsors. Id be anxious if i was Rainbow Telecom.
It is a slight on the investment and benevolence of Morgan Fuels - regardless of the press release yesterday.
It doesnt look good from the Armagh County Board perspective - in fact no one comes out of this smelling like roses.
The statements from both have been well crafted legal documents which suggests worse is to come.
It doesnt look good for Ulster GAA ultimately.

Sponsors should have absolutely NO SAY Whatsoever in team affairs - they can ask where the money is going adn how it is to be used in terms of team development, but in my opinion thats it.

County Boards should also be cognisant of the relationship with sponsors and how it needs to work in partnership...a contract of doos and don'ts tends to work for most other businesses, so that there are no shocks, on either side.

Im a tyrone man, and i was always envious that you had such a strong relationship with Morgan - both have done well out of it.

Move on, and wash the rest of the dirty linen behind closed doors.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Sportacus

Fundamentally any organisation such as the GAA needs to avoid the scenario where some big shot pumps money in and then wants it all their way.  County Boards are elected and entrusted with a job to do.  As a rank and file member, I wouldn't want some sponsor ruling the roost, just because he can afford to put more money in than I can. 

Sponsors put money into events and teams so that their name is more recognisable and the more successful the team the better.  It just doesn't work the way Morgan thinks it should work (unless a team or event got mixed up in something unethical).

cornerback

Can someone answer this... maybe I'm wrong but I'll fire on anyway

Was the Athletic grounds (technically) named after Hugh Morgan's father due to a rule that GAA grounds can only be named after the deceased?

Following on from this, does the statements from Hugh Morgan & Armagh County Board citing naming right not mean this rule has been "openly" broken (even though everyone knew it was broken anyway).

And will Armagh County Board now rename the Athletic Grounds?

Joxer

While we're asking questions...

What does Hughie Morgan have the first clue about strategy and development when he doesnt have a clue about Football!

Armagh are better off without him.

Its an absolute joke that this got out in the public domain and shows on both side the egos want fed instead of the better of Armagh football!

regal

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on November 08, 2012, 12:56:53 PM
I am amazed with what people are saying about sponsors having a say in a management capacity or making decision for the CB, astonishing.

What would Dublin make of Vodafone interfering with the Dublin setup, or the Kerry Group interfering with how Kerry are setup. Sponsors DO NOT have a say in the running of a county team, that is the job of the counties GAA board. If he doesn't approve of the setup then bye bye, thank you for your investment in Armagh football over the years and you then part ways amicably. Did Morgan do that, No.

Remember Peter McDonnell's comments when he left Armagh? - He stated that people were interfering with the management of Armagh and it made his position as manager untenable.
Thank you for the years of sponsorship Morgan, but what you said yesterday was pathetic.

As for the spending of money, you can question where the money is going. Another thing you can ask yourself is whether his interference in management has had something to do with Armagh's decline. He is supposedly one of the reason why Grimley never got the job and now he has got it, he has withdrawn his sponsorship.

This is my problem with PMcD - he talked in riddles (as he ususally does) about what was going on at the end of his time with armagh. He should remember the main reason he got the job was that our then sponsor was intent on not giving it to Paul Grimley. PMcD should have came out at the time and said what was going on instead of adding to the cloak and dagger stories.

Whilst I think Hugh Morgan should be thanked for his 'sponsorship' of armagh it's probably best for the armagh county board (although probably not finanially) to step away for the good of armagh football.

I don't know if Hugh has any involvement with Crossmaglen but hopefully the county team and cross players can all put their shoulder to the wheel for the good of armagh football.

Credit to the County Chairman 

johnneycool

Quote from: cornerback on November 08, 2012, 01:42:40 PM

Was the Athletic grounds (technically) named after Hugh Morgan's father due to a rule that GAA grounds can only be named after the deceased?

Following on from this, does the statements from Hugh Morgan & Armagh County Board citing naming right not mean this rule has been "openly" broken (even though everyone knew it was broken anyway).

Well Cavan are in trouble then unless there is actually someone called Kingspan..

rrhf

cornerback

Quote from: johnneycool on November 08, 2012, 02:36:04 PM

Well Cavan are in trouble then unless there is actually someone called Kingspan..

Good point!

http://www.cavangaa.ie/kingspan-breffni-park.html
"In 2002 Cavan Co Board successfully negotiated naming rights for Breffni Park.  The Board teamed up with main sponsor Kingspan and through the generosity of Brendan Murtagh Breffni Park became known as Kingspan Breffni Park for a ten-year period in a deal which was worth €400,000 to Cavan GAA. This was the first sponsorship of its kind in the country and it remains the only one so far.  It was a win-win for both sponsor and Cavan GAA, because the financial benefit accruing enabled Cavan Co Board to part- finance the completion of the terracing on all sides of the pitch and eliminate dangerous grass banks to facilitate spectator safety.  This took place in 2003 and 2004 with Aidan Elliot again the contractor"

But I knew I'd seen somewhere about this "rule"
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/gaa-armaghs-groundbreaking-name-deal-15155956.html
"Under GAA rules, grounds cannot be named after a living person and Hugh Morgan is the current owner of the Morgan Group.
However Croke Park officials are believed to have accepted that the company is named after Hugh Morgan's late father."

rodney trotter

Its 10 years on now , I haven't heard if they are renewing it or what the will happen.

DuffleKing

It's always had the same name and noone in Armagh ever used anything other than the Athletic Grounds

Quote from: Joxer on November 08, 2012, 02:16:45 PM
While we're asking questions...

What does Hughie Morgan have the first clue about strategy and development when he doesnt have a clue about Football!

Armagh are better off without him.

Its an absolute joke that this got out in the public domain and shows on both side the egos want fed instead of the better of Armagh football!

He wouldn't have the first clue. Wasn't even a casual football fan before he started sponsoring.

The only fault i'd have with the county board in the whole dealings is that they responded. I'd have said nothing

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 08, 2012, 05:47:24 PM
The only fault i'd have with the county board in the whole dealings is that they responded. I'd have said nothing

There is an argument alright for saying nothing.

However, given the bitter and personal nature of the original statement and the specific allegations made, I feel that on balance it was better to respond. And for what it's worth, the response was masterful. Succinct, without emotion and entirely professional. The high moral ground has been taken and the potential for a very public, messy spat has been avoided.

And reading through this thread, boy have there have been one or two nails which have been smashed firmly on the head in posts made today!!   ;)

Applesisapples

Hugh Morgan is a successful business man. Armagh should thank him for all that he has done for football. He makes a great play on his support for hurling but in fact hurling got little from the deal, and I note that his statement refers to the development of football and the senior county team. The bottom line is, no sponsor no matter how generous should be allowed to demand that any county board consult him on the matters Hughie was looking to be consulted on. Hughie also forgets that as a fan as well as sponsor he had unprecedented access to the team even going on some of the team holidays, again you would not see this with other county sponsors. I think the County Board have handled this correctly and if Hughie wants to take his bag of balls and run sorry to see it but that's life.

mackers

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 08, 2012, 07:41:50 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on November 08, 2012, 05:47:24 PM

There is an argument alright for saying nothing.

However, given the bitter and personal nature of the original statement and the specific allegations made, I feel that on balance it was better to respond. And for what it's worth, the response was masterful. Succinct, without emotion and entirely professional. The high moral ground has been taken and the potential for a very public, messy spat has been avoided.

And reading through this thread, boy have there have been one or two nails which have been smashed firmly on the head in posts made today!!   ;)

+1
If Hugh Morgan had orange blood running through his veins then he wouldn't have made this statement.  The county board had to reply in the face of his statement but did so in a dignified manner and I'm sure they'll leave it at that.  It was common knowledge that Hughie was too involved in stuff he shouldn't have been and the strong personalities at the head of the county board probably decided enough was enough (rightly so).  In fairness a lot of time and energy is put into the underage structures within the county producing highly competitive minor teams for the last number of years. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.