UUJ

Started by Joxer, November 03, 2011, 09:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

You can get a place in DCU with only 140 points if your good enough at sport,  http://www.dcu.ie/registry/forms/pdfs/R13.pdf
According to their application for all you need to get on the "Elite Sportsperson Entry Scheme is"
QuoteMinimum Entry Requirements

• Applicants must satisfy the minimum entry requirements for admission to the university which are as follows:
Leaving Certificate with Grade C3 in two Higher Level subjects and Grade D3 in four Ordinary or Higher Level
subjects (which must include Mathematics and English or Irish), or an approved equivalent.

Two C3's in Higher Level Subjects and four D3's in ordinary level subjects in the Leaving Cert is only 140pts,  Compare that to the entry requirements for those not so blessed in to be a talented sportsperson http://www.careersportal.ie/courses/simple_search.php?s_course_title=&s_CAO_code=&s_college=DCU  That's minimum entry requirements for the University not the course Stronghold

AhJaysusRef

Pettiness is pathetic.

For fk sake wise up

Ulick

Quote from: stronghold on November 30, 2011, 09:38:40 PM
Fair play to Queens tonight best team won in the fresher B replay.
But some people are talking a serious amount of shite on this tread either from an ignorant or blinded point of view.  I stated that I have a son at UUJ and a daughter at Queens at the minute.  I went to Coleraine but after some time in private industry I am now a senior lecturer at UUJ and have a great interest in gaelic games.
So for all those, who obviously don't know how a University works or believes everything idiots tell them. No-one but no-one gets into any University in the North for an undergraduate course with points below the minimum entry. Doesn't matter who you are or who you play football for, it simply cannot happen.  It is against the law and no registrar in any University can break these rules. 
DCU, UUJ, Waterford and Maynooth all operate elite athlete systems but for all of these you must have the course entry requirements. Also for those uninformed out there, under GAA rules you must also have the course entry requirements to play in Higher Education competitions.
Some people are show showing a serious lack of intelligence in the Higher Education system in Northern Ireland and insulting to the registration staff within the University.
I think it is totally wrong for an individual to smear another University or to makeup wild unfounded and spurious rumours.
There are no colleges or Universities any better or worse than any other.  It looks however for some people jealousy has a lot to do with it, rather than fact.

Ah... but tell us Stronghold, is that the same for post-graduate courses?

LeoMc

Entertaining though (this argument not the football)

Orchardman

Personally don't think it is over hyped at all. Maybe crappy gaelic life paper, but around sigerson weekend you would be hard pressed to find many pages in the main papers dedicated to such an important event when there dam all other gaa on. indeed, I'm only a few years out of college but I wouldn't have a clue who plays for who, and neither would I care who won any sigerson cup.

But as far as i'm concerned, when ur involved in it at that time, nothing else compares. Playing with boys around the same age, going to parties regular, living with teamates and opponents. As a club players, you'll have anything from lads of 16-36 in the dressingroom and its still great craic but not the same. To me, the best thing about the club is playing with any brothers or cousins you may have