Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

The world is turning Giovanni. We cannot expect players to slavishly commit to county panels while managers are getting rewarded. Or at least if they choose not to commit, that they don't subject themselves to criticism. They have jobs and family lives to uphold. No criticism intended of Brennan at all. He has a job to do and his frame of reference is Kilkenny.

Giovanni

I see what you mean but I really don't think it would change the players' commitment if Eddie Brennan was doing it for free. Why should that matter to any player weighing up whether or not to play.

I agree though that if fellas decide not to play, there is no point in hammering them for that decision on websites. It's their decision and I think most people respect that. What people are wondering, and I think reasonably, is what lads need to make them interested in playing. If they don't want to play under Eddie Brennan, then I can't see any circumstance when a lad would play anyway?  Surely money wouldn't solve that?

With the right work ethic, lads that are committed, even if they are less talented, will be much more effective anyway.

High Fielder

I think that the Intercounty scene is a bit of a mess. There are benefits, many of them, associated with playing for the bigger counties. Some of these are occupational, which is a roundabout way of offering financial incentives. The biggest incentive though is the opportunity to potentially win something. It's what made those Mayo lads come back every year. We have very little to offer, relatively speaking. Eddie doesn't speak the same language as those who are absent. He played for a team that were competitive every year, and in the current context, he gets rewarded for his work. Good luck to him, but this is Laois, not Kilkenny

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on February 04, 2020, 04:32:46 PM
In theory I'm 100% on your side clonadmad. But don't let the irony be lost on you. Eddie wouldn't drive down the road to train Laois for free. If he did, then his jumping up and down would be all the more meaningful.

How much is Brennan getting paid then?

High Fielder

Without wishing to be disrespectful to Brennan or smart to you clonadmad, I would say he's being well looked after. Of course Inter County Managers don't get paid, so I'm assuming he drives a big diesel guzzler. Good luck to him. But he isn't doing this for the good of his own health.

Maybe someone in the CB needs to address this matter properly, rather than leaving it to speculation and bemoaning it in the end of year report. There's a live issue here and we seem to be particularly susceptible. There are good things going on right now in Laois GAA, but none of them matter if some of our best players are not on the pitch. I sincerely believe that it goes way deeper than getting the invite and turning it down.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 04:22:54 PM
Quote from: portlaoisekid on February 04, 2020, 04:03:05 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on February 04, 2020, 02:38:22 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 04, 2020, 02:04:30 PM
Lads, how is the county boards fault that so many strong hurlers won't commit? It is not as if the set up or funding isn't there. Surely the blame for the fact that almost nobody from Camross wants to hurl with Laois lies with Camross? Then when you look at the long list of Leigh Bergin, PJ Scully, Joe Campion, Cha Dwyer etc. etc. I would bet that what is most galling to Eddie is the number of capable players that don't want to play senior hurling. Simply can't be competitive in a small county unless everyone is in pushing for places.

I'm no fan of the county board but sometimes they are used (a bit like the government) to hide where the real accountability lies - with the clubs and the players themselves.

Completely agree with you,nail on the head

I don't think anyone that's anyway informed on what's going is blaming the CB

They have done their very  best in relation to the set up

Eddie Brennan and his management also can't be blamed for the year ahead.

The lads that don't want to commit and their clubs in certain circumstances are where the blame resides
Are the CB not the reason why he was going to walk? A demand not met?

It's nothing to do with the CB,he's pulling his hair out at the attitude amongst those who won't commit.

I wouldn't blame him if he walked

No outsider manager of consequence or substance  would ever touch laois again.

We will be back to chasing the likes of Eamon Kelly and every other mercenary journey man manager all over again
I wholeheartedly  agree but the reason he was going to walk was not player related,defo a CB issue

blueandwhite1

Is Sean Downey in with Laois this year? Seems to be going well at full back for Carlow IT. We could do with another option in the backs. Versatile hurler.

Moregroundhurling

Eddie Brennan and his management team deserve serious credit for the job they are doing. We are reasonably competitive whilst being depleted. There have been a number of setbacks with injuries and lads not committing for various reasons but there has been no whining or excuses made. We have a great chance to cause an upset come champo with a fully squad.

Onwards and upwards

burdizzo

It's true. But will we have a full squad for championship? We were steeped last year was relatively injury-free, but this year is taking a different shape. Any news on Mullaney?

blueandwhite1

Some amount of players on the injury table:
Lee Cleere, Eric Killeen, Mark Kavanagh, Ryan Mullaney, Diarmuid Conway, Colm Stapleton, Stephen Bergin, Eanna Lyons, Liam Senior(?) Carlow match could be a struggle if we don't get lads back.

Laois scrapped very well yesterday and did plenty to frustrate Clare. Our passing in the first half was good but it wasn't a day for it. Disappointing that our forwards couldn't win any ball yesterday when it mattered. We are also holding onto the ball too long when we have it. Horrific conditions so hard to judge.

The main highlight for me was James Keyes. He has all the skills and attitude to make a big difference to Laois. I also thought Frank Flanagan and Diarmuid Conway did well enough given their experience and James Ryan, Fiacra C Fennell and Ciaran McEvoy are getting better with game time. These are all lads who weren't around last year.

Zooming around

Any word on the injuries from the weekend? The Carlow game is the big (only) game in this group for us. Even if we had beaten Clare we would still have had to beat Carlow to stay up.

burdizzo

Is Jack Kelly injured this weather, too?

Joeythelips

One point win in what sounded like horrendous conditions, fair play to the lads in grinding out the win. Anyone with a match report?

burdizzo

Yes, the pitch was as bad as ever I've seen it - due, no doubt, to two u/20 football games during the week. Could the one last night not have been played on the Centre of Excellence? Eddie Brennan was right when he said the game probably shouldn't have been played.
However, good thing it was, the way it worked out. The heroes for Laois tonight were in the backs, with Donnacha Hartnett the pick of them. However, Matthew Whelan's experience shone through, and Podge Delaney did very well, too. In fairness, the back division easily outshone the forwards, where only Ross King excelled. The two Dunphys got points all right, but weren't up to their usual standards, and Paddy Purcell won a few frees, too, but it wasn't really a night for fancy play. A couple of goal chances went a begging for Laois - and one for Carlow at the very start - and both sides had a good few wides, with Rowland missing three long-rangers. Of course, Kavanagh missed that last free puck for Carlow, too, but I thought Laois just about deserved the win for the way they defended and fought for everything. Well done to them - job done for the league now. Here's hoping they can get a few bodies back for the championship.

G@@

Got a result. Could have and should have won by more.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!