Mayo v Donegal, Elverys McHale Park, Aug 03, 6pm

Started by highorlow, July 22, 2019, 09:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 03, 2019, 10:33:25 PM
Quote from: Erne Man on August 03, 2019, 10:19:51 PM
Terrible night for Donegal - but their generally young squad should learn plenty from tonight. Lads like Brennan, Langan etc who were ripping it up in Ulster really struggled with the pace and intensity from Mayo.
As for Mayo the show rolls on - as expected a team full of character with  guts in bucketfuls, some great individual performances - but still let a vastly inferior Donegal team on the night, nearly claw  their way back into the game. Durcan was simply immense - and how he wasn't MOTM is beyond me.
It is shambolic that they will have 6days to prepare themselves to face Dublin - as another week would surely have set up another massive struggle between the 2.
If the curtain falls for a lot of this great team next week, I've no doubt it will be with the same hard nosed belligerence that has typified their efforts over the last 7yrs.
Every Mayo person should be detouring via Knock tonight - one big Novena for a Tyrone win tomorrow!

Who was motm?

Andy Moran for me. Class personified. Slippery, ball magnet, crafty eel
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

WhoDat

what happened to doherty? looked bad from the television maybe even a cruciate injury

maigheo

Watched the game again last night and for me me David Gough had a good game in difficult circumstances and does not deserve the slating he is getting over on the WJ blog and in some comments here.  Keegan grabbed Murphys jersey and that is what the ref saw from his position on the field.On the Higgins black card Gough did consult with his umpire and does not have replays .Not sure how he missed the pickup from O Shea  but maybe he was unsighted.Always hate the fact that after 5 min of any game the first comment is that the ref is brutal or riding one team despite evidence to the contrary

whitey

Quote from: maigheo on August 04, 2019, 02:49:15 PM
Watched the game again last night and for me me David Gough had a good game in difficult circumstances and does not deserve the slating he is getting over on the WJ blog and in some comments here.  Keegan grabbed Murphys jersey and that is what the ref saw from his position on the field.On the Higgins black card Gough did consult with his umpire and does not have replays .Not sure how he missed the pickup from O Shea  but maybe he was unsighted.Always hate the fact that after 5 min of any game the first comment is that the ref is brutal or riding one team despite evidence to the contrary

He wasn't that bad. It was a tough game to ref

I think what infuriated people watching with me was that while the penalty was legit (although soft) the hit on O Shea right after, was a red card all day long, and he didn't give it. So in the same sequence he applied the letter of the law to one incident and used his discretion with the other, Donegal getting the favorable outcome on both occasions. Higgins was a black card by the letter of the law but again one that would not be given by every referee-again the borderline call favored Donegal

Lar Naparka

Quote from: maigheo on August 04, 2019, 02:49:15 PM
I'd agree with you. I can't see any ref at any time setting out to favourr one team over another. Yeah, he can make mistakes and Gough, with the benefit of hindsight, made a fair few but he was operating in real time and on the night we had in Caatlebar, it;s a wonder he didn't make a few more.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Armagh18

Quote from: dublin7 on August 04, 2019, 12:12:50 PM
Quote from: Rudi on August 04, 2019, 11:44:38 AM
Fine championship game, feel a bit sorry for Donegal one bad game and out. Mayo got to hand it to them some team and fully deserved their win. I see Joe Brolly has an article in the Sindo today full of praise for Mayo, should he not just f#ck off. Why do papers, TV stations give idiots like this a platform.

If you actually bothered to read the article its perfectly reasonable. He points out Mayo fought for every ball, Donegal players disapppeard in the 2nd half (bar Murphy) and had some shocking point attempts on goal.

Also that poor Mayo finishing kept Donegal in the game and their conversion rate for shots on goal was only around 38% and that wont be good enough next week
And the bastards scored something like 1-7 from 8 shots against us in Castlebar in second half!

WhoDat

the problem with gough is that he is a ref who likes to "let it flow" and while that can make for a more open game, it can also have the effect of players feeling like they can get away with harder more reckless tackles because they know he wont blow the whistle, it can lead to games getting out of control
but I still prefer him to other intercounty refs

J70

Has there ever been a game where someone is NOT crying about the referee?

It's like half these people have never set foot on a pitch.

David McKeown

I thought Gough had a good game but why do the GAA insist on appointing referees from counties who could benefit from poor decisions. Gough is from a county in the same group in the super 8's and lives and works in Dublin. Dublin were always likely to face one of Donegal or Mayo next weekend. Similarly Hutson was on the line and Tyrone could have been facing either team next week. Let me be clear I am not for a second suggesting either man did or would do something with an eye on next weekend but why open them up to that potential criticism?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Whitnail

I'm only seeing it now and only highlights . There wasnt that much in it although as a whole mayo deserved it for the agressive attitude.
As O' Sea righlty points out we didn't put a hand on mayo to stop them in any defensive cohesive manner. Thats ok if your taking most of your kicking opportunities ...but that certainly didn't happen.
You;d hope there will be a lesson learned for the next time we play mayo but it seems like groundhog day everytime we've played them in recent times.
Anyway Andy moran is some man for one man..... he always does particularly well against us too

BennyCake

Can the CCCCCCCCCCCC go back and issue black cards retrospectively?

Just seen Andy Moran drag back McHugh deliberately, just before Murphy point to go 1-9 to 1-8. Definite black.

imtommygunn

tyroneman

Farrandeelin

Quote from: tyroneman on August 05, 2019, 09:12:07 AM
Out of curiosity - whats the WJblog?

Mayogaablog.com. Hilarious stuff. I fell out with the top dog so I no longer post there.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.