The official Everton FC Supporters thread

Started by boojangles, January 06, 2009, 02:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Potentially a very good signing. 2 year contract is a bit strange. 3 decent signings for the Ev but the guts of £70m on 28-29 year olds shows a short term approach. Ancelotti hoping for a bounce for 2 years. They still have a long way to go and are very poor defensively.

lurganblue

Yeah it is defo an exciting signing, albeit his career has been on a downward trend.

BCB1 is correct though. Keane, Pickford et al are a disaster at the back.

johnnycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 08, 2020, 08:35:14 AM
Potentially a very good signing. 2 year contract is a bit strange. 3 decent signings for the Ev but the guts of £70m on 28-29 year olds shows a short term approach. Ancelotti hoping for a bounce for 2 years. They still have a long way to go and are very poor defensively.

the Everton midfield was too porous last year as Gueye wasn't there to cover for the lazy holes in Siggy and Gomez. Allen and potentially Daucoure are much needed cover which I think will help the centre backs. Davis is functional so a championship career beckons.

Pickford should be under pressure if Romero does arrive. Writing on the wall for him.

DCL needs to start putting away a higher percentage of the chances he's had as well.

laoislad

I reckon they tricked him into signing by telling him he was going to play for a team in Liverpool..
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dire Ear

Quote from: laoislad on September 08, 2020, 11:21:55 AM
I reckon they tricked him into signing by telling him he was going to play for a team in Liverpool..
Would be a hit at Tranmere alright...

SHEEDY

Brillant performance by the blues, dominated from start to finish. All 3 new guys were excellent, Allan deserving motm. Coleman excellent as well, that today should put an end to the discussion about his position in the Ireland team, Doherty was really poor.
nil satis nisi optimum

Bronco

Agree Allan looked very assured and composed on the ball. Everton looked much improved from last season although I still think they need a keeper, centre-back and striker.

Hound

Quote from: SHEEDY on September 13, 2020, 06:45:47 PM
Brillant performance by the blues, dominated from start to finish. All 3 new guys were excellent, Allan deserving motm. Coleman excellent as well, that today should put an end to the discussion about his position in the Ireland team, Doherty was really poor.
I didn't see the game today (was too much other sport on!) but while Doherty has had a couple of really good seasons for Wolves, it has been as wing back, which is definitely a different position than full back, so it will be very interesting to see how he gets on at Spurs playing as a traditional 2 (and by all accounts it didn't go well today).

In terms of Coleman, who undoubtedly has been a super servant to Ireland and there was a time when he was possibly the best right back in the league. Now, you will have seen way more of him than me, but is it not true to say his form dipped noticeably last season, and often he lost his place at Everton?

Is there anyone injured at Everton that has him in, or do you think he is back established as first choice right back?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Hound on September 13, 2020, 08:11:55 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on September 13, 2020, 06:45:47 PM
I didn't see the game today (was too much other sport on!) but while Doherty has had a couple of really good seasons for Wolves, it has been as wing back, which is definitely a different position than full back, so it will be very interesting to see how he gets on at Spurs playing as a traditional 2 (and by all accounts it didn't go well today).

In terms of Coleman, who undoubtedly has been a super servant to Ireland and there was a time when he was possibly the best right back in the league. Now, you will have seen way more of him than me, but is it not true to say his form dipped noticeably last season, and often he lost his place at Everton?

Is there anyone injured at Everton that has him in, or do you think he is back established as first choice right back?
coleman struggled for form last season but the same could be said for the whole team. when fit hes still evertons 1st choice right back, he struggled last season because the midfield was overrun in nearly every game meaning the defenders and goalie were under constant pressure. today with a more solid midfield in front of him he was back to his old self, he mightnt have the legs to bomb up and down the wing as much anymore but he was solid defensively and kept son under wraps all game.

pre season a lot of fans were calling for a new right back to be signed as a near priority, now after one game the same fans are saying maybe its not near as big a priority as other positions, fickle nature of modern football fans??
nil satis nisi optimum

manfromdelmonte

A win and no penalties

laoislad

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on September 13, 2020, 09:35:14 PM
A win and no penalties
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnnycool

Quote from: Bronco on September 13, 2020, 06:49:12 PM
Agree Allan looked very assured and composed on the ball. Everton looked much improved from last season although I still think they need a keeper, centre-back and striker.

Keeper, yes I'd agree, centre back less so as Mina and Keane will fight it out to partner Holgate who I think is coming as a really good centre back.

coleman lost the ball high up the pitch yesterday with a wayward pass and were lucky not to get caught out on the counter attack only for Doucouré to get back and make an interception. That has been missing last year.

Interesting to see how James Rodríguez goes when teams put a lot more effort in closing him down unlike Spurs yesterday.

manfromdelmonte

Gabriel_Hurl

is that the latest conspiracy theory now?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 14, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
is that the latest conspiracy theory now?

Plus extensive coffee and apple juice....ped specials!

Interesting that after a good start to the league, with decent performances from the new players and he can only post in the Everton Thread making reference to LFC.....#rentfree