Eurovision final here we come!!

Started by rrhf, May 08, 2018, 10:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 01:22:33 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 01:10:13 PM
The nun outside the synagogue. Anti Semitic?
Not particularly, because it doesn't use a negative stereotype to generalise about Jews as a group.

Now, can you tell me whether you believe that negative stereotypes about Jews being money grabbers are anti-semitic?

Like yours, and like the even more vile post of Windmill Abu's?

Can you tell me whether such negative stereotypes were widely used to vilify Jews in 1930s Germany, thus preparing the ground for the Holocaust?

I'll make a leap and presume you have knowledge of what the Holocaust was.
3 Jewish billionaires - Paul Singer, Sheldon Adelson and Bernard Marcus- funded the lobby that convinced Trump to pull out of the Iran deal.  They also heavily funded the lobby for the tax cuts that went 60% to the richest 1% of americans.

Is that antisemitic ?
It is very f**king dangerous.
When the US economy crashes along with the dollar, guess what will happen. The white elite will blame the Jews. And it will be easy. People in Indiana and Ohio will take the bait.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dougal Maguire

Not particularly, because it doesn't use a negative stereotype to generalise about Jews as a group.

Now, can you tell me whether you believe that negative stereotypes about Jews being money grabbers are anti-semitic?

Can you tell me whether such negative stereotypes were widely used to vilify Jews in 1930s Germany, thus preparing the ground for the Holocaust?

Don't patronise me. I suggest you look back over your history books and try to address your selective memory. Contrary to popular myth the Jews weren't the only people killed in the holocaust. They were mainly killed because they were considered inferior.
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Did you hear about the 2 gay ghosts?
They put the willies up each other!
Offensive ?
Careful now

Taylor

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 01:52:38 PM
Offensive ?

Very.

Disgusting in fact.

LGBT community will be after you

Dougal Maguire

Did you hear about the Irish formula 1 driver?
He made 10 pit stops , 1 for tyres, 1 for fuel and 8 to ask for directions
Offensive?
Careful now

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Taylor on May 14, 2018, 01:56:48 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 01:52:38 PM
Offensive ?

Very.

Disgusting in fact.

LGBT community will be after you
Will ghosts start to haunt me?
Careful now

trueblue1234

Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2018, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on May 14, 2018, 09:48:59 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 13, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 13, 2018, 10:40:29 PM
It was a joke and pretty f**king harmless for a bunch of white Irish people on a GAA forum.

Go write a strongly worded letter to Sacha Baron Cohen or Seth McFarlane who've spent the best part of 15 years telling the same kind of jokes to the mass market.
I'm not familiar with Seth MacFarlane, but I would assume he is Jewish given his first name.

Sacha Baron Cohen can tell all the jokes about Jews that he likes, because he is one.

The thing is, his humour is designed to not only to laugh at his own historically oppressed ethnic group, which is he is entitled to do by virtue of being a member of that group, but to ridicule anti-semitism and anti-semites. And you clearly don't even get that.

Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman can tell jokes about Jews and rape jokes, because they are both Jewish and women, and thus can use dark, confrontational humour to challenge and ridicule anti-semitism and misogynism.

A Muslim comedian gets to make jokes about Muslims. A disabled comedian gets to tell jokes about disabled people.

It's very clear you fail to understand the difference betwen that type of humour, and, say, Bernard Manning. Or Kevin Myers. Or Ron Atkinson.

Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0
Sid, if you heard such a joke from a comedian you're not familiar with, would you need to check his religious and ethnical background so you could accurately weigh up whether the joke is funny or offensive, before deciding whether to laugh heartily or write a thesis about racism in comedy?
Excellent point and shows up the absurdity of some of the positions here. Funny is funny end of - Dougal's original joke here that sprouted this bleeting match was just shit tho.

Was there an answer to this at all?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

sid waddell

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 01:50:31 PM

Don't patronise me. I suggest you look back over your history books and try to address your selective memory. Contrary to popular myth the Jews weren't the only people killed in the holocaust. They were mainly killed because they were considered inferior.
They were killed because they were constantly vilified using negative stereotypes. When you vilify an entire ethnic group, you can justify anything.

You and the other fuckwits on this thread see no problem perpetuating the negative ethnic stereotypes which have been a contributing factor to genocide in the past, of course.

It's just "bantz", or something.

It'd be a very interesting thought experiment to set up a thread to ridicule Northern Catholics using every negative stereotype imaginable. Just for the craic, like. And to see what the reaction is.

Farrandeelin

Israel shouldn't be in the Eurovision. Neither should Australia.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2018, 02:09:19 PM
Israel shouldn't be in UEFA either
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on May 14, 2018, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 14, 2018, 02:09:19 PM
Israel shouldn't be in UEFA either

Nor Kazakhstan imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: sid waddell on May 14, 2018, 02:08:43 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 01:50:31 PM

They were killed because they were constantly vilified using negative stereotypes. When you vilify an entire ethnic group, you can justify anything.

You and the other fuckwits on this thread see no problem perpetuating the negative ethnic stereotypes which have been a contributing factor to genocide in the past, of course.

It's just "bantz", or something.

It'd be a very interesting thought experiment to set up a thread to ridicule Northern Catholics using every negative stereotype imaginable. Just for the craic, like. And to see what the reaction is.
Well if any Jews are subject to genocide as a result of my quip I'll remove it.
The NI Catholics joke thread is a great idea. Go ahead and set it up. Just one final point, when you resort to crude language to make an argument, you lose it.
Careful now

sid waddell

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 14, 2018, 02:05:20 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 14, 2018, 11:55:34 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on May 14, 2018, 09:48:59 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on May 13, 2018, 11:06:39 PM
Quote from: trileacman on May 13, 2018, 10:40:29 PM
It was a joke and pretty f**king harmless for a bunch of white Irish people on a GAA forum.

Go write a strongly worded letter to Sacha Baron Cohen or Seth McFarlane who've spent the best part of 15 years telling the same kind of jokes to the mass market.
I'm not familiar with Seth MacFarlane, but I would assume he is Jewish given his first name.

Sacha Baron Cohen can tell all the jokes about Jews that he likes, because he is one.

The thing is, his humour is designed to not only to laugh at his own historically oppressed ethnic group, which is he is entitled to do by virtue of being a member of that group, but to ridicule anti-semitism and anti-semites. And you clearly don't even get that.

Amy Schumer and Sarah Silverman can tell jokes about Jews and rape jokes, because they are both Jewish and women, and thus can use dark, confrontational humour to challenge and ridicule anti-semitism and misogynism.

A Muslim comedian gets to make jokes about Muslims. A disabled comedian gets to tell jokes about disabled people.

It's very clear you fail to understand the difference betwen that type of humour, and, say, Bernard Manning. Or Kevin Myers. Or Ron Atkinson.

Or this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoLPLsQbdt0
Sid, if you heard such a joke from a comedian you're not familiar with, would you need to check his religious and ethnical background so you could accurately weigh up whether the joke is funny or offensive, before deciding whether to laugh heartily or write a thesis about racism in comedy?
Excellent point and shows up the absurdity of some of the positions here. Funny is funny end of - Dougal's original joke here that sprouted this bleeting match was just shit tho.

Was there an answer to this at all?
I'll wait for all the the six county Catholics on this thread to finish up their bomb-making activities for the day before answering.

Hey, just #bantz, remember!?

Like Barry McElduff!

Dougal Maguire

You've lost me with that last bit Chief
Careful now

sid waddell

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 14, 2018, 02:23:34 PM
You've lost me with that last bit Chief
Being lost is no doubt a feeling you're well used to.