Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

befair

Quote from: PTC on September 10, 2019, 11:52:25 AM
Quote from: befair on September 09, 2019, 11:12:32 PM
Quote from: downjim on September 09, 2019, 10:35:03 AM
What happened at the lgfa intermediate final on Saturday?
What I did see was Conor Lavery running all the way round the pitch to abuse the lineswoman who had advised the ref to give a yellow card to a Kilcoo player. It was unnecessary and unsporting and a really bad example to young players, as Kilcoo were much the better team and never in danger of defeat.

Think this could be a case of mistaken identity

Definitely not; I've always admired Conor Lavery as a player, and Kilcoo as a club, but this behaviour was a very bad example to young gaels.

KeyboardWarrior645

Quote from: befair on September 10, 2019, 04:37:04 PM
What I did see was Conor Lavery running all the way round the pitch to abuse the lineswoman who had advised the ref to give a yellow card to a Kilcoo player. It was unnecessary and unsporting and a really bad example to young players, as Kilcoo were much the better team and never in danger of defeat.

The sooner he heads to Monaghan the better it seems. Not been a good couple of weeks for him it seems.

Definitely not; I've always admired Conor Lavery as a player, and Kilcoo as a club, but this behaviour was a very bad example to young gaels.

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: KeyboardWarrior645 on September 10, 2019, 05:21:47 PM

Need to be very careful before launching a personal attack!! It was not CONOR laverty!!

The sooner he heads to Monaghan the better it seems. Not been a good couple of weeks for him it seems.

Too many steps

On the Ballykinlar discussion. The whole East vs South Down angle is unnecessary and divisive (although I think many of the contributors just enjoy rattling each others' cages!).

I think the issue is: what is the purpose of the Centre?

As a training facility: Down isn't a particularly big county and Ballykinlar is no more that 40 mins or so away from any part of the county. I have driven to Downpatrick, Newry, Belfast and many clubs in between for several years taking kids to dev squads and they are many others who do the same.
If you designate one place as the training venue there are always going to be pros and cons - cost - closer to A than B - quality of land etc - you're never going to satisfy everyone in Down, but those who have been committed to getting to training for years in the many venues used will continue to do so.

The second use is as a venue for matches - challenge or competitive - which is what all of the other CoEs in neighbouring counties do.

This is where Ballykinlar falls short.

If you look at all the other CoEs:

Louth: 10 mins from M1
Antrim: just off M2
Derry: on the A6
Tyrone: on the A5
Monaghan: 10 mins from N2
Cavan: just off N3/N55

All beside main roads through the county - obviously this suits travelling teams in particular.

Ballykinlar with it's position right on the East coast is quite difficult to get to for travelling teams.

The solution proposed by someone else to use Newry as the location for challenge games also has problems. It isn't called the Marshes for nothing.

From September through to May you are unlikely to be allowed to play in Pairc Esler much due to concerns over pitch damage. Only this year the u17s were due to play Offaly before the senior League match and had to be moved last minute doe to the Mitchels further down the Ind estate - as you can imagine the surface there was an embarassment.

So there would need to be a lot of work in Newry to use that as a venue all year round.

Or it's back to using club grounds, the Abbey, St Colmans, and the Dub (latter 2 aren't even in Down) as match venues for underage teams.

So if it's just a training centre Ballykinlar is fine.

As a venue for those coming from outside the county it is quite remote - it'll be interesting to see if it works for travelling teams.

Stevie Nicks

Quote from: Stevie Nicks on September 10, 2019, 06:11:09 PM
Quote from: KeyboardWarrior645 on September 10, 2019, 05:21:47 PM

Need to be very careful before launching a personal attack!! It was not CONOR laverty!!

Sorry to be clear it was not CONOR Laverty, definite mistaken identity!!

elk

The sooner he heads to Monaghan the better it seems. Not been a good couple of weeks for him it seems
🤙

This mans behaviour on or of the pitch never surprises me

befair

Quote from: elk on September 10, 2019, 06:29:23 PM

The sooner he heads to Monaghan the better it seems. Not been a good couple of weeks for him it seems
🤙

This mans behaviour on or of the pitch never surprises me

It was outside the wire; ID is correct

terrifictommy

Is the other wee fella that coaches kilcoo ladies not Conor's mini me. That's perhaps why the identity is wrong. Or maybe Conor was outside the wire causing havoc. Either way I wasn't there to witness. The fact that no one is disputing the allegation but the accused must mean there is plenty of truth in it. 

6th sam

Quote from: yewtree on September 10, 2019, 08:26:17 PM
I don't want any East South Division I just feel people need a reality check on the weaknesses in 'less strong area' of Down.No one wants to insult the dedication of coaches over there but just maybe if the coaching was better the standard over there would be better.
I am just fed up being railroaded into Ballykinler when we have Abbey and College built and already there.
If you did a straw poll in Harps Club or Fagans in 'point all the big football men would agree with me.This whole saga could cause serious animosity and division which at times isnt great anyway.

Very good,😂,
You nearly had me there

Lecale Gael

Some amount of shite being spouted on here these last few pages. cant decide though wums or idiots, maybe both.  ::)
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

yewtree

Looking ahead to Frank O'Hare - big chance for 'point this year.Wouldn't it be great to have final in Parc Esler and 'point and Burren in it.Would create some buzz .It would be the final most neutrals would want.

JimmyFloydMay123

Quote from: yewtree on September 11, 2019, 11:34:00 AM
Looking ahead to Frank O'Hare - big chance for 'point this year.Wouldn't it be great to have final in Parc Esler and 'point and Burren in it.Would create some buzz .It would be the final most neutrals would want.

I can guarantee that 95% of people would rather not see a burren and CPN final 😂

Cuan12

Hear hear, this is the year I'm supporting Kilcoo, Warrenpoint are hateful and Burren not a million miles behind them,so it's the magpies for me , and every east down club in their prospective championship , but maybe our coaches aren't good enough.🤪🤪

PTC

Think it's a really open senior championship this year the intermediate will be between glen and daragh cross I think and maybe bright for the junior though the fin have come on a lot and wouldn't be surprised if they where to win it

Gaelforce123

Burren v CPN in a county final? Usually 1st teams play their 2nds in challenge games