Wexford don't give a damn about football

Started by seafoid, October 31, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Wexford drove up to play us in Kilsheelan last March or April in U15 football. They had 2 sets of gear, all tops and stuff, bags and the whole lot. They had food afterwards. They looked well looked after.

twohands!!!

Jeez shure wasn't it crystal clear when they appointed "Banty" as manager.

mrhardyannual

A Five Year Plan for Wexford Football

In January 2017 the Football Advisory Committee (FAC) committed to the production of a five year plan for the development of Gaelic football within the county. The appointment of Anthony Masterson to the position of Football Development administrator in September is crucial to this plan. Over recent months our committee have reviewed the keys elements of football within the county namely:

The club game
Primary school
Post primary School
Talent Academies Structure
Any review of the activities across these sectors highlight the huge amount of positive voluntary work in each area. The aim of the review is to bring all parties together to ensure a joined up approach to the promotion of the game.

Clubs

Anthony and Diarmuid Byrne (GDA) will actively support clubs in their promotion of skill development throughout 2018. We have studied models of good practice in other counties with a view to making recommendations for our underage programme.

Primary Schools

The Rackard League committee have highlighted the need for pacing an emphasis on re-introducing the skills of the game. It is also proposed to organise a Rackard League district league with representational teams in each district. A club school link programme is also being developed.

Post Primary School

The success of St Peters College in reaching the All-Ireland A final in 2017 highlights the potential of the secondary school sector. The FAC will aim to place an emphasis on providing targeted support to our post primary schools with a view to assisting schools compete at the highest level of competition.

Talent Academy Structure

A full review of squads has been conducted with a view to improving the structures of how these squads can co-exist with clubs and schools. It has been identified that improvement in player tracking and athlete development can be achieved through small changes.

The football Advisory Committee aim to hold a "Forum on Football" on November 22nd with a view to getting feedback from clubs and stakeholders on an agreed long term future for the game in our county.

Ní neart go cur le chéile

Micheál Martin (Chair FAC)

Someone, please tell me that this is not the sum total of a 5 year plan. I like to be a "one-page" guy but this takes the biscuit.

Horse Box

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 31, 2017, 10:45:55 AM
Wexford drove up to play us in Kilsheelan last March or April in U15 football. They had 2 sets of gear, all tops and stuff, bags and the whole lot. They had food afterwards. They looked well looked after.

Why the neutral venue , was there a Tournament on ?

Forde said he wasn`t happy Wexford didn`t enter a Junior Team . Many counties don`t bother with the Junior Championship , Cavan are the only Ulster Team bothered and Tipp withdrew from it last year !

AZOffaly

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Horse Box on November 01, 2017, 12:01:34 PM

Forde said he wasn`t happy Wexford didn`t enter a Junior Team . Many counties don`t bother with the Junior Championship , Cavan are the only Ulster Team bothered and Tipp withdrew from it last year !

Clare also chose not to participate in 2017.  I wonder why?  AZ, any thoughts on Tipp's withdrawal?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Ball Hopper on November 01, 2017, 03:17:45 PM
Quote from: Horse Box on November 01, 2017, 12:01:34 PM

Clare also chose not to participate in 2017.  I wonder why?  AZ, any thoughts on Tipp's withdrawal?

I think it's a mistake, and it's probably  motivated by financial reasons. I was involved in 2014 with David Power, and while we crashed out to Limerick, it was still a very useful couple of months as it kept lads involved at a county level, playing decent games at a time when they'd be getting shag all with their clubs. It was treated like a development squad almost, for adults maybe falling between the U21 and Senior stools.  We had games with Kildare, Clare, Cork etc. That team included lads like Evan Comerford, Jimmy Feehan, Colman Kennedy and Jason Lonergan and I think it was a useful bridge for them.

I suppose Liam Kearns also wants to have as big a panel as possible at senior, and not worry about Junior selectors etc, but it worked pretty well with Peter Creedon that year, in terms of training etc, and him releasing fringe players to us.

All in all, I think it was very valuable, because the club scene in Tipp is not conducive to developing footballers, unless they are in Thurles in some form. They just don't get enough quality games, and you have to make the shortfall up somehow.

Edit - Of course if a load of other counties are pulling out, then it loses value.

Double Edit - I just did a quick check. It appears there was also a rule change which prohibited picking players from Senior Clubs. That would immediately negate the benefits for Tipp of what they are trying to do with that team, so I may have done Liam Kearns and the Board a disservice saying they lacked interest in it.

Ball Hopper

Would replacing the inter-county Junior grade with Under 23 make any sense?  With no senior championship panelist eligible (say 30 players declared senior at start of championship, plus any player who breaks into the first 26 during the championship).  Hardly time to get it done now though, what with condensed inter-county schedule. 

The Junior grade might fade away completely...would it be missed?

Rossfan

It wouldn't seeing as nearly half the Counties don't enter.
Either abolish it or make it into a decent competition if possible.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

twohands!!!

Kerry have got serious value out of using their Junior team as a development pathway for players the last while, and I read an interview somewhere a few months back with Mick Fitzsimmons giving a lot of credit to his stint with the Dublin juniors in terms of his development as an inter-county player and how he thinks it's a big mistake by Dublin not to be entering a team in it at the moment.

The change in age from U21 to U20 next year means that the Junior grade will probably become even more valuable in terms of bringing players through to the senior team, as opposed to just hoping the coaching/player development in the clubs is up to standard for lads with potential but just outside the senior panel.

I think counties who don't participate in the junior are just handing an advantage to those who do.

Syferus

Quote from: twohands!!! on November 01, 2017, 05:57:35 PM
Kerry have got serious value out of using their Junior team as a development pathway for players the last while, and I read an interview somewhere a few months back with Mick Fitzsimmons giving a lot of credit to his stint with the Dublin juniors in terms of his development as an inter-county player and how he thinks it's a big mistake by Dublin not to be entering a team in it at the moment.

The change in age from U21 to U20 next year means that the Junior grade will probably become even more valuable in terms of bringing players through to the senior team, as opposed to just hoping the coaching/player development in the clubs is up to standard for lads with potential but just outside the senior panel.

I think counties who don't participate in the junior are just handing an advantage to those who do.

Have they? They've been relying on some very veteran players playing into their mid-30's at a lot of key positions in recent years which would indicate that their development process is far from perfect.

I don't seem much advantage to fielding a junior team as opposed to just having a dedicated development panel for younger players. The advantages are the structure and the coaching, not particularly the competition itself which has fell on some very hard times in recent years.