Can we tell women what to wear in work?

Started by Orior, March 10, 2017, 06:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: J70 on March 11, 2017, 11:27:31 AM
Of course you can tell woman (and men) what to wear to work. Companies do it all the time, whether it's heels, short skirts, suit and tie, a uniform, safety shoes or a hi-vis vest. A person doesn't HAVE to work there.

I tend to agree.

For example, we all like to watch the weather forecast on TG4, even if we don't know all the words.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

There is social pressure to conform and women have a thing about wanting to please and the 2 together can be pretty consistent over international borders. Social pressure is very strong. I don't agree either that sex doesn't sell.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Quote from: hardstation on March 11, 2017, 10:20:01 PM
Of course you can tell woman (and men) what to wear to work. Companies do it all the time, whether it's heels, short skirts, suit and tie, a uniform, safety shoes or a hi-vis vest. A person doesn't HAVE to work there.
Short skirts?? Really? Any boss who asks an employee to wear short skirts is a creep.

Also, what is the obsession many schools have with short haircuts?
Ridiculous.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not clothing requirements might sometimes lean over into creepishness. Of course they do.

But, companies can still demand that certain types of clothes be worn.

Ever heard of Hooters restaurants, for example?

No one is holding a gun to those girls heads.

PW Nally

Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2017, 11:22:39 AM
Short skirts?? Really? Any boss who asks an employee to wear short skirts is a creep.

Ridiculous.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not clothing requirements might sometimes lean over into creepishness. Of course they do.

Define gun?

J70

Quote from: PW Nally on March 12, 2017, 01:39:54 PM

Ridiculous.

Define gun?

???

Main Street

Ridiculous.

The OP question was precisely about hot totty uniform and high heels being required attire for a car sales business and the like, not a hooters.

Orior

Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2017, 04:31:26 PM

Ridiculous.

The OP question was precisely about hot totty uniform and high heels being required attire for a car sales business and the like, not a hooters.

The same question applies. Every business wants to attract customers.

Syferus

This thread is Tony Ferron level, lads.

J70

Ridiculous.

I thought they gave them as an example for the more general question about whether employers can insist on skimpy dress codes.

Think the principle is the same though. Looks and skin to attract customers.

As long as obscenity or lewdness laws aren't being broken, they're entitled to do it.

Orior

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2017, 06:06:49 PM

Ridiculous.

I thought they gave them as an example for the more general question about whether employers can insist on skimpy dress codes.

As long as obscenity or lewdness laws aren't being broken, they're entitled to do it.
You are way off the mark and I am surprised at your opinion
A job in cars sales or house sales or a similar occupation is basic run of the mill employment, it can certainly be requested, even mandatory that clean neat attire be worn both for male and female but as long as that requirement  is fulfilled by an employee, then the condition is satisfied.  It's breaching basic human rights to demand that a female employee be dressed in sexually attractive attire.
For a start, it's sexist as in gender specific. If the dress code is biased towards one gender it is illegal.
Should a female employee suffer because of an imposed code to dress more sexily, they have a solid case for compensation and the employer will be forced to change policy.
Workplace rights are well ahead of titillation.

Orior

Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2017, 09:33:43 PM

Ridiculous.

A job in cars sales or house sales or a similar occupation is basic run of the mill employment, it can certainly be requested, even mandatory that clean neat attire be worn both for male and female but as long as that requirement  is fulfilled by an employee, then the condition is satisfied.  It's breaching basic human rights to demand that a female employee be dressed in sexually attractive attire.
For a start, it's sexist as in gender specific. If the dress code is biased towards one gender it is illegal.
Should a female employee suffer because of an imposed code to dress more sexily, they have a solid case for compensation and the employer will be forced to change policy.

If a car showroom receptionist decides to wear baggy trousers, baggy top , no lippy and a ring through her nose then I would think that the employer can find ways to get rid of her, whilst keeping within the law. But what makes you think it is always men behind those decisions?

Main Street

Quote from: Orior on March 12, 2017, 09:47:47 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2017, 09:33:43 PM

Ridiculous.

If a car showroom receptionist decides to wear baggy trousers, baggy top , no lippy and a ring through her nose then I would think that the employer can find ways to get rid of her, whilst keeping within the law.
Read my post you lewd person.
"it can certainly be requested, even mandatory that clean neat attire be worn both for male and female but as long as that requirement  is fulfilled by an employee, then the condition is satisfied"

But what makes you think it is always men behind those decisions?
You can manage to type on a keyboard but the basic rational thought factor is totally absent?
How did you manage that Orior?
Can you read my post again and see if you can any foundation for that bizarre statement of yours?
If you can't read right now,  use the text to speech function  :D

The Stallion

Serious amount of misogyny in this thread.

illdecide

I can tell you one thing...I thank the Lord that the women in my employment don't wear short skirts and high heels...Ahh Jasus the thought of it would make an onion cry...Brutal they are, Hippo city.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch