Paul Kimmage interviews Jim McGuinness

Started by Jinxy, September 19, 2016, 01:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on September 22, 2016, 12:05:32 AM
Most articles written about Jim are purely hagiographical accounts so it's interesting to see one that exhibits Jim warts and all.

His demeanor, single mindedness and his obtuse nature very much reflect other great managers of our generation. Cody and Harte are equally flawed as individuals, both are uncompromising and, for avowed Christian's, particularly unforgiving. That's what's make them champions though and what irks me is that when you win a championship all of a sudden you're a white knight and society's hero. That's what makes shite like "Jim for president" and "blue-print for our education system" so nauseating.

We can respect these individuals and their feats, there is no need for the over the top adulation.

Brilliant word!
MWWSI 2017

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2016, 12:36:50 AM
Most articles written about Jim are purely hagiographical accounts so it's interesting to see one that exhibits Jim warts and all.

His demeanor, single mindedness and his obtuse nature very much reflect other great managers of our generation. Cody and Harte are equally flawed as individuals, both are uncompromising and, for avowed Christian's, particularly unforgiving. That's what's make them champions though and what irks me is that when you win a championship all of a sudden you're a white knight and society's hero. That's what makes shite like "Jim for president" and "blue-print for our education system" so nauseating.

We can respect these individuals and their feats, there is no need for the over the top adulation.

Brilliant word!

Think I seen it a year ago in the wiki article about neil Jordan's "hagiographical" film about Michael Collins. I'm probably using it wrong or in the wrong tense but it's a good word.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on September 22, 2016, 12:59:38 AM

Brilliant word!

Think I seen it a year ago in the wiki article about neil Jordan's "hagiographical" film about Michael Collins. I'm probably using it wrong or in the wrong tense but it's a good word.

I had to look it up, but I think it is perfect for Jim.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 22, 2016, 10:18:36 AM

Brilliant word!

there is a special class of manager that scares the bejaysus out of journalists because of their knowledge and intensity. Cody is one. McGuinness is another.

trileacman

Brilliant word!

Perfect for any media darlings, even moreso in Cody's case who is Teflon in the media.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on September 22, 2016, 11:19:35 AM

Brilliant word!

there is a special class of manager that scares the bejaysus out of journalists because of their knowledge and intensity. Cody is one. McGuinness is another.
He's not that knowledgeable
His views on the game just get a lot of airtime.

there are underage coaches I know working in clubs who are deep thinkers of the game

I'd like to see him bring a bunch of kids in a small club who have a very poor underage record through to teenage years.
now that, is a challenge

JimStynes

Kimmage's Q&A style interviews are great.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: JimStynes on September 23, 2016, 07:09:59 AM
Kimmage's Q&A style interviews are great.
Give Kimmage his due, he seems well able to keep the interview moving and think on his feet with the questions.

rrhf