Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I honestly don't think the EU will allow a hard Brexit to happen. It would really hurt the big European economies and companies.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

If the 2.5m (as it will be then) working taxpayers in the 26 Cos are told they'll be funding a "Reconstruction" or "Equalisation" tax of €10bn per annum = i.e €4k each or €80 extra per week........
To misquote Clinton. "It's me pocket stoopid"
A no of 6Cos people already said on this Board that if a UI cost them money they wouldn't vote for it.
But we're expected to pay for it so that people,many of whom spend their time running down the "Free State" and "Free Staters" can continue to live in a subsidised basket case free gratis.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trueblue1234

Quote from: Rossfan on July 19, 2018, 12:21:00 PM
If the 2.5m (as it will be then) working taxpayers in the 26 Cos are told they'll be funding a "Reconstruction" or "Equalisation" tax of €10bn per annum = i.e €4k each or €80 extra per week........
A no of 6Cos people already said on this Board that if a UI cost them money they wouldn't vote for it.
But we're expected to pay for it so that people,many of whom spend their time running down the "Free State" and "Free Staters" can continue to live in a subsidised basket case free gratis.

Where are you getting those figures from? If the UK were to withdraw there would be financial support (parachute payments if you like). They wouldn't walk away without committing to support for a number of years afterwards in which case the people in NI will have to look at reducing down the Public sector spending.
But yes I'd expect you and each of the tax payers in the south to contribute to the short term costs of a UI. Much the same as the people in the North would have to as well.

Your last point about people running down the "free state" etc is a weak argument. Course there'll be people who'll take that viewpoint but if your basing a decision on the future of the country on what some posters post on a message board to get a rise then I'll not follow down that rabbit hole.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

bennydorano

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2018, 12:13:21 PM
I honestly don't think the EU will allow a hard Brexit to happen. It would really hurt the big European economies and companies.
Yeah, I think the sniggering is over and the realisation of the severity of the situation is dawning on everyone.

RedHand88

They're leaving it pretty late to back down.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on July 19, 2018, 01:02:14 PM
Yeah, I think the sniggering is over and the realisation of the severity of the situation is dawning on everyone.

The Brexiteers , for the greater good, should be herded into a corner and given the Pulp Fiction treatment

https://youtu.be/StkasLs-QmE

Dougal Maguire

I think you're right there.
Careful now

charlieTully

Whinge about an insult then fire one out yourself.

seafoid

I'd say you could raise a good whack taxing the 2000 richest people on the Island
You could definitely introduce best practice into the civil services on both sides of the border.
You could cut a lot of fat out of health spending.
Partition has been  a catastrophe.
There is enough money to make the fourth green field productive again.

balladmaker

QuoteI'd say you could raise a good whack taxing the 2000 richest people on the Island
You could definitely introduce best practice into the civil services on both sides of the border.

Partition has destroyed economic prosperity in the north, once a hot bed of production and industry, now reduced to a large percent of the population either economically inactive (unable to or don't want to work), and another large percentage relying on a civil service job to help keep unemployment figures down. 

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/19/brexit-raab-and-barnier-to-meet-as-eu-steps-up-no-deal-warnings

Hillary Benn predicted that the public would turn against a no-deal Brexit as they became more aware of its implications. "I think the public needs to be told what the potential implications are, because I think the more the public engages with it, the less likely they are to say no-deal is OK, because it really isn't OK," he said.

Read more

On Wednesday the Tory former cabinet minister Chris Patten predicted there could be an emergency general election in the autumn.

Lord Patten told BBC2's Newsnight: "It is perfectly possible that this autumn and winter we will find that parliament can't move forward, can't move back, can't move sideways and that we are faced with chaos and crashing out of the European Union.

"I don't remotely discount that possibility. So, I don't either discount the prospect of us finding ourselves in a general election during the course of the autumn and winter. If I was still party chairman ... I would certainly be thinking about starting to book some advertising hoardings just in case."

seafoid

Quote from: balladmaker on July 19, 2018, 01:47:20 PM
QuoteI'd say you could raise a good whack taxing the 2000 richest people on the Island

Partition has destroyed economic prosperity in the north, once a hot bed of production and industry, now reduced to a large percent of the population either economically inactive (unable to or don't want to work), and another large percentage relying on a civil service job to help keep unemployment figures down.

Even without the war, NI never recovered from the collapse of its big industries in the 60s/70s. There was a huge disadvantage to being in the UK in the 80s cos Tory policy was to put people on social welfare rather than support new industry. The Germans did it the other way around. So did the French. The UK economy became services based , favouring regions with larger population densities. NI like the North of England got left behind.  There is nothing natural about this . It all comes down to where the money goes.

armaghniac

Leo's winning hearts and minds

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omochain

Quote from: seafoid on July 19, 2018, 01:30:53 PM
I'd say you could raise a good whack taxing the 2000 richest people on the Island

Seafood. I am starting to warm to you.
In fact I am about to get stuck into a really nice piece of ling cod.
Keep up the good work. I notice whitey and co have been silent since they have realized they are getting their information courtesy of Cambridge Analytica.

Denn Forever

Quote from: armaghniac on July 19, 2018, 11:19:13 PM
Leo's winning hearts and minds

Note who's reporting it.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...