Donegal v Kerry AIQF

Started by RMDrive, July 28, 2012, 08:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

I've taken Cork outta this because Cork/Kerry games are a different animal!

So this is what we are left with; Definitely the Dublin result in 2007. The rest of the teams have a poor recent championship record.

2012 QR2 v Westmeath;
2010 MF v Limerick; Congrats you beat a team who have not won a munster title since when?
2009 AISF v Meath; QR4 v Antrim; QR3 v Sligo;
2008 AIQF v Galway; QR4 v Monaghan;
2007 AISF v Dublin; AIQF v Monaghan;
2006 AIQF v Armagh All credit for the result, but this was not a tight game! it was over with 10 to go!

By the way this is a no win argument, most of Kerry's best performances were based on shock and awe of finishing a game in 15 minutes. Only Kerry could really do this, so they more than often did not have tight games. And this was a mark of their class!

imtommygunn

They'd a few good wins in very tight matches against Monaghan. With Kerry you tended to find that when the going got tough the o'ses dragged them out.

Donegal haven't beat a real big gun yet with this team and have a lot to prove here. They may well do it but the thread reads like they should be favourites and based on credentials of players over the last few years Kerry should be favourites and 5 to 6 point ones at that.

AFS

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2012, 09:23:39 PM

So this is what we are left with; Definitely the Dublin result in 2007. The rest of the teams have a poor recent championship record.

2012 QR2 v Westmeath;
2010 MF v Limerick; Congrats you beat a team who have not won a munster title since when?
2006 AIQF v Armagh All credit for the result, but this was not a tight game! it was over with 10 to go!

By the way this is a no win argument, most of Kerry's best performances were based on shock and awe of finishing a game in 15 minutes. Only Kerry could really do this, so they more than often did not have tight games. And this was a mark of their class!

That's not correct. There was one score between the sides at 65 minutes and Kerry had just been reduced to 14 men. I still hate Darren O'Sullivan.

mlcollins

Seafoid what are you? the northern glove puppet or a northern wannabe,victory over tyrone , our all-ireland !! shows what an ignorant muppet you are and as mike sheey posted we don't take lectures,certainly not from inferior cretins like you.

Seamus

Quote from: CorkMan on July 30, 2012, 08:57:29 PM
I have to agree with what Brolly said last night. If a team stays with Kerry til the end of a game they are likely to beat them, if they have any sort of mental strength. Tyrone and Armagh did. Dublin did. Cork were as good as them each time they've played in Croke Park but weren't strong enough mentally. I think Donegal will stay with them til the end and will have the mental toughness and will beat them.

So you and the other Brolly believers must then believe that Kerry were the better team against Tyrone. If so this is an insult to Tyrone. Remember you can't have it both ways.

In the Dublin game Kerry did not choke either. Kerry of course were much the better team. Joe McQuillan was the reason why the Dubs won. Colm O'Rourke highlighted this in articles after the game. Dublin got "three points from phantom frees in the first half alone" (Colm's words). In the second half Eoin Brosnan made probably the best defensive play of the year but was unjustly penalised for touching the ball on the ground in the small square resulting in another gifted point. Kerry were in cruise control and Dublin had given up (and McQuillan) until the error for the goal.  When the sides were level with about two minutes to go McMennaman hopped the ball twice on the Dublin 45 directly in front of the posts and one yard from McQuillan, result no free to Kerry and Dublin went up the field and pointed. The way Sheehan way playing he would have pointed the free that should have been. This was a two point swing.  To Kerry's credit they came back and equalised with a great GUTSY point from Kieran Donaghy. Enter McQuillan again in injury time with another phantom free which won the game for Dublin. He also never allowed for the time wasted in taking the free. Impossible for any team to overcome this.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

trileacman

Ulster football Mark 3 on Sunday. Donegal to win. Armagh changed football in '02 and beat Kerry, Tyrone tweaked it in '03 and more so '05 and now Donegal have taken to another notch. Don't think Kerry will live with what Donegal can do on a pitch. A blanket defence to an all new level, it is suffocating. Combined with the best gamesmanship skills in Ireland, foul high up the pitch/ drag players down subtly/ off the ball digs- they are not the only team who do this (the countries top 5 are in the quarters) but they do it better than anyone. Tyrone/Armagh used to torture the naive Donegal teams of the past with this and now it has come full circle.

Pat Spillane will be shitting himself come Sunday evening, it's gonna be f**king hilarious.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

seanog

"Pat Spillane will be shitting himself come Sunday evening, it's gonna be f**king hilarious."

or he might end up pissing himself laughing, who knows.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 08:53:36 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 08:31:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 30, 2012, 09:27:03 AM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 30, 2012, 05:08:50 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 29, 2012, 10:27:53 PM
Donegal look like they have come on a good bit from last year and Kerry have been used to getting bitch slapped around in recent seasons.

no pogrom keeping you busy these days ?
touchy down in dherastan are we?

we won't be lectured by Antrim's plaything.

Yes you will. You just were !
You can't help yourself anyway.

Donegal to do it this weekend. Kerry will then need to win 4 out of the next 7 all Irelands before spillane can crow on RTE about being de team of de decade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSDd9IZ4ZIA

Great teams put all irelands back to back. Not lost all Ireland finals.

Its funny to see the fancy dans playing in Leinster. Galway has turned into a bit of a joke in football and hurling.

Declan

QuoteKerry were in cruise control and Dublin had given up
Yep we had given up alright ;D ;D

seafoid

Quote from: mlcollins on July 30, 2012, 11:04:57 PM
Seafoid what are you? the northern glove puppet or a northern wannabe,victory over tyrone , our all-ireland !! shows what an ignorant muppet you are and as mike sheey posted we don't take lectures,certainly not from inferior cretins like you.

Billy Keane, Monday 23 July
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/galvins-rap-puts-rhythm-back-in-kerry-3175658.html
"This was as good as an All-Ireland." :) ;) :D ;D :o 8) ??? ::) :P

I hope you enjoyed your all Ireland , dhera
And where is Billy Keane from again ?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 30, 2012, 09:23:39 PM

2012 QR2 v Westmeath;

I agree, the Dublin 2007 game is the only one where the result was in real danger. There is some merit in what Brolly was saying.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Coddler

Quote from: Seamus on July 30, 2012, 11:14:01 PM

In the Dublin game Kerry did not choke either. Kerry of course were much the better team. Joe McQuillan was the reason why the Dubs won. Colm O'Rourke highlighted this in articles after the game. Dublin got "three points from phantom frees in the first half alone" (Colm's words). In the second half Eoin Brosnan made probably the best defensive play of the year but was unjustly penalised for touching the ball on the ground in the small square resulting in another gifted point. Kerry were in cruise control and Dublin had given up (and McQuillan) until the error for the goal.  When the sides were level with about two minutes to go McMennaman hopped the ball twice on the Dublin 45 directly in front of the posts and one yard from McQuillan, result no free to Kerry and Dublin went up the field and pointed. The way Sheehan way playing he would have pointed the free that should have been. This was a two point swing.  To Kerry's credit they came back and equalised with a great GUTSY point from Kieran Donaghy. Enter McQuillan again in injury time with another phantom free which won the game for Dublin. He also never allowed for the time wasted in taking the free. Impossible for any team to overcome this.

If McQuillan was so intent on a Dublin victory why did he not award a penalty against Brosnan which would have been the correct decision for the handling the ball in the small square?
McQuillan had turned away to follow the play up field when McMenamin double hopped the ball and so he missed it. It was not a deliberately biased decision against Kerry, just a mistake. The Dubs were lucky enough there as Sheehan would most like have pointed the free.
The last free which was awarded for a foot trip on McMenamin was a free. It was engineered to an extent in that Mac could have avoided the outstretched leg but why would he?
All the better teams have forwards who coax the referee into blowing for a free at times. Cooper is especially good at this.
McQuillan did not rob Kerry of an All Ireland. It was a great battle between 2 evenly matched teams and the Dubs won a narrow but deserved victory on the day.

Rossfan

I doubt if Brolly will be on the minds of the protagonists when the ball is thrown in on Sunday.
This is the classic old gunslinger versus the new kid showdown.
Can Kerry see off the new upstarts or will the new brash fearless unloved urchins blow away the old order?
That is the question and can only be settled by the action on the field ( and hopefully not by refereeing or umpiring carry on )
I think Donegal need to be fearless in this one because any sign of fear, nervousness  or looking over the shoulder (if they get the lead especially )and the Kutehoors will pounce and blow them away.
I may end up with blisters from sitting for 6 hours in Croker but I suspect this one will be worth waiting for.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Crete Boom

Lads I can't believe anyone is giving Brolly the time of day here :o What he said in his article is absolute rubbish and is a new low even for him. First of all he said in his article that if somebody who hadn't seen any Gaelic football before turned up in to see the closing stages of the club All Ireland between Dr Crokes and Crossmaglen they would think the Gooch is a choker. Now even if you heard the local Alcoholic bar stool idiot come out with this you would have to take him to task for such a stupid comment. Also on the Sunday game he highlighted the loss to Armagh in 2002 and Tyrone 03/05/08 as examples of Kerry choking, This is an unbelievable insult to the winners of these games. Armagh in 2002 was just the classic old game of 2 halves where the orchard men came roaring out in the second half to cast away all those years on failure. Tyrone in 2003 was a ruthless exposure of a weak point to Kerry's traditional open style of football. 2005 was a Tyrone team at it's peak on a mission not to be a one hit wonder and 2008 was just reaffirming a dominance Tyrone were enjoying over Kerry and most other counties at the time too.
  An example of choking in All Ireland's ,well unfortunately I can't look past my own county. 1996 was the prime example 6 points up and we couldn't close out the game albeit against an excellent Meath team . 2004 and 2006 , these were a different type of choking where a realisation that our preparation and skill level was nowhere near the required level to succeed and the game was gone in the first 20 mins , the white flag was raised. Now does Kerry vs Tyrone/Armagh compared to this? ::)

trileacman

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014