A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause

For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours
And yours

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

winsamsoon

A very sad week and a particularly heartbreaking day to watch Mickey Harte and young John stand arm in arm behind the body of a beautiful wife and daughter. In truth all the words in the world won't help the families but rather as time goes on it will be the wee things that become important. The small things that were all taken for granted, the little manorisms and the glowing presence of a beautiful young lady can never be replaced. I have a lump in my throat writing this but i can't imagine what that family are going through. In life i never gave Michaela much of a second thought, for me as an Armagh man she was always synonomous with Tyrone . Ricey put it perfectly when he said "she would always take the positive and focus on them even in the worst scenario". In many ways her friends, family and fellow gaels are returning that favour in her hour of need.

A lot of special people contributed to the terrific send off that she got today and i think a special mention should go to Father Mc Aleer and Bishop Mc Areavey for holding it together in such difficult and personal times

This will be my last post on this thread as i think it is time to let Michaela go into the arms of God .  Her family has lost a valuable member but we have all gained a friend whom we will hold dear to our hearts. This achievement speaks volumes of the person she was. We will have the privilleage of another great summer of football that will bring our culture and games to the forefront . something as simple as this is what Michaela was about. Her father, husband and greater GAA community will all be part of it. If anyone should ask me again what makes the GAA special my answer will be short and simple, Michaela Harte.

God Bless you now Michaela watch over your family in the caring way you did on earth RIP xxxxx
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Don Johnson

Great post win.

Though I have to say Father Gerard couldn't hold back the emotion anymore when the casket was lowered, the man broke down and it wasn't surprising given the connection him and Michaela had. It was a great service.

wavesofTORRES

I think in the 7 full days  that have passed since the tragic news broke about Michaela we have witnessed everything that is good about the GAA and the community that has it at its core. We are all rightfully proud to be part of such an organisation and to the Tyrone Co. Board and the members of Errighal Ciaran we say how proud we are of all that you have done in this past week to ease the pain for the families and for the mourners. It was amazing to watch the organisation that went into the whole occasion and how everyone rallied to the cause with such dignity.

We also know that if, god forbid, a similar tragedy occurred in any of the clubs we belong to that we could rely on the same effort from fellow members because that is the sort of thing we do and do well when such things happen, no one says no. The tribute from Peter Robinson moved me as I felt it was genuine and sincere because I too have choked up on occasion this week when talking about Michaela whilst thinking of my own daughters, because we naturally think what if.

The new season will certainly feel different and as a Down man I will cry with joy if we lift Sam on the third Sunday and I will cry with pure emotion if Tyrone lift it because we all know something special is missing from the big day.

RedandGreenSniper

I do think that Peter Robinson's words in the Assembly were very well intentioned and superbly put. I think it was definite progress. It might be one small chink of light.

I'm not sure if I can recall seeing anything as sad though as when poor John McAreavey and Mickey Harte emerged first from the church, shouldering the coffin. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, let alone two men who, it has become apparent, are the epitome of virtue. Making sense of events is impossible. Time is meant to be a great healer is the line usually trotted out after death. That's no comfort. As someone says all Michaela's loved ones can try and do now is put one foot in front of the other and take solace in the knowledge of the great support they have received and will, I feel, continue to receive.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Jinxy

Very kind and well chosen words from Peter Robinson today.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ross matt

Quote from: Jinxy on January 17, 2011, 11:49:19 PM
Very kind and well chosen words from Peter Robinson today.

True Jinxy. He was vey genuine.
The funeral scenes were heart breaking though. RIP Michaela. Good help John, Mickey, the Hartes and all her friends.

quit yo jibbajabba

Some nice words from peter Robinson, also Rois, Winsamsoon, and several others on this thread

RIP Michaela

winghalfun

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit"Psalm 34:18

banker

Many people think that the last week has been the hardest time for the Harte and McAreavey familys but it is the days, weeks, months and years which lie ahead are going to be the toughest. Having bought a house and being fully furnished how John could ever step foot in that house again i do not know.

As a clubmate of John's the picture which i will always hold close to my heart is John lifting the championship cup and the size of Michaela's smile in the background. It shows how much both loved and cherished the GAA. That night of the championship success Michaela returned to the club to celebrate the success with John's team mates and club members. She congratulated each of the players and celebrated throughout the night just like she would have when her native Tyrone were successful. John is a fantastic lad and there is no doubt that he will be back playing for "the lish" in no time. It's the type of lad he is and it is what Michaela would want for him. He is a real role model within the club and all of the younger generation coming through look up to him. On behalf of the club i would like to thank the Eirregal Ciaran club on the organisation and help they have given the Harte's and McAreaveys over the past few days. They should be proud of what they have done. And I am also proud of my own club as this touched us as much as the Eirregal lads. The emotion which you could see on the service which we held on the Friday night showed how much Michaela meant to the club and especially to John's team mates one of who stood up at the end of the service who read a poem which he wrote about Michaela.

R.I.P. Michaela McAreavey
God Bless

seafoid

The town isn't called tullylish - isn't is Lawrencetown or something - where did the club name come from?

nrico2006

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2011, 02:19:25 PM
The town isn't called tullylish - isn't is Lawrencetown or something - where did the club name come from?

Tullylish is the name of the parish.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Banana Man

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2011, 02:19:25 PM

lawrencetown and gilford are the two main urban areas in the parish of tullylish. The pitch is in lawrencetown...

theskull1

I thought gilford was in armagh? Is there two of them?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

banker

no gilford iS in county Down. County Down stretches as far as the bleary area which borders craigavon/lurgan