Israel Attack Humanitarian Ship, 10 men killed

Started by give her dixie, May 31, 2010, 03:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeysteve

A brief summary of Israels behaviour in the past 6 months before the latest massacre taken from The Independent... Robert Fisks opinion piece is the main article on the link at the bottom for those who are interested.

Diplomatic storms

*Goldstone report, November 2009

Israel launched Operation Cast Lead in December 2008 with the declared aim of halting rocket fire from Gaza into Israel. More than 1,400 Palestinians were killed in the three-week conflict along with 13 Israelis. The South African jurist Richard Goldstone's report into the conflict found both Israel and the Hamas movement that controls the Strip guilty of war crimes, but focused more on Israel. Israel refused to co-operate with Goldstone and described his report as distorted and biased.

* The al-Mabhouh assassination, January-May 2010

Britain and Australia expelled Israeli diplomats after concluding that Israel had forged British and Australian passports used by assassins to kill a Hamas commander in Dubai. Israel has neither confirmed or denied a role in the killing of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in his hotel room in January. Britain said such misuse of British passports was "intolerable". Australia said it was not the behaviour of "a nation with whom we have had such a close, friendly and supportive relationship".

*Settlements row, March 2010

Israel announces plans, during visit by US Vice-President Joe Biden, to build 1,600 homes for Jews in an area of the West Bank annexed by Israel. The announcement triggers unusually harsh criticism from the United States. Washington said it damaged its efforts to revive the Middle East peace process. US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the project was an insult. Netanyahu said he was blindsided by planning bureaucrats and apologised to Biden. Today's meeting with Barack Obama at the White House, called off by Mr Netanyahu so he could return home to deal with the flotilla crisis, was supposed to be another part of the fence-mending between the two allies.

*Nuclear secrecy, May 2010

Israel, widely assumed to have the Middle East's only nuclear arsenal, has faced renewed calls to sign a global treaty barring the spread of atomic weapons. Signatories of the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) last week called for a conference in 2012 to discuss banning weapons of mass destruction throughout the Middle East. The declaration was adopted by all 189 parties to the NPT, including the US. It urged Israel to sign the NPT and put its nuclear facilities under UN safeguards.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-western-leaders-are-too-cowardly--to-help-save-lives-1987989.html

As Fisk points out what would be the political reaction if another middle eastern country gunned down unarmed europeans as has just happened?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

heganboy

and here is Tom Friedman's piece in the NY Times, a very american centric piece:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/02/opinion/02friedman.html?th&emc=th

When Friends Fall Out
By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN
Published: June 1, 2010

As a friend of both Turkey and Israel, it has been agonizing to watch the disastrous clash between Israeli naval commandos and a flotilla of "humanitarian" activists seeking to break the Israeli blockade of Gaza. Personally, I think both Israel and Turkey have gotten out of balance lately, and it is America's job to help both get back to the center — urgently.

I've long had a soft spot for Turkey. I once even argued that if the European Union wouldn't admit Turkey, we should invite Turkey to join Nafta. Why? Because I think it really matters whether Turkey is a bridge or ditch between the Judeo-Christian West and the Arab and Muslim East. Turkey's role in balancing and interpreting East and West is one of the critical pivot points that helps keep the world stable.

I also happened to be in Istanbul when the street outside one of the synagogues that was suicide-bombed there on Nov. 15, 2003, was reopened. Two things struck me: First, the chief rabbi of Turkey appeared at the ceremony, hand in hand with the top Muslim cleric of Istanbul and the local mayor, while crowds threw red carnations on them. Second, Turkey's leader, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who comes from an Islamist party, paid a visit to the chief rabbi — the first time a Turkish prime minister had ever called on the chief rabbi in his office. Since then, I have seen Turkey play an important role mediating between Israel and Syria and voting just a month ago in favor of Israel joining the Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development.

Therefore, it has been painful to hear the same Prime Minister Erdogan in recent years publicly lash out with ever-greater vehemence at Israel over its treatment of the Palestinians in Gaza. Many see this as Turkey looking to ingratiate itself with the Muslim world after having been rebuffed by the European Union. I have no problem with Turkey or humanitarian groups loudly criticizing Israel. But I have a big problem when people get so agitated by Israel's actions in Gaza but are unmoved by Syria's involvement in the murder of the prime minister of Lebanon, by the Iranian regime's killing of its own citizens demonstrating for the right to have their votes counted, by Muslim suicide bombers murdering nearly 100 Ahmadi Muslims in mosques in Pakistan on Friday and by pro-Hamas gunmen destroying a U.N.-sponsored summer camp in Gaza because it wouldn't force Islamic fundamentalism down the throats of children.

That concern for Gaza and Israel's blockade is so out balance with these other horrific cases in the region that it is not surprising Israelis dismiss it as motivated by hatred — not the advice of friends. Turkey has a unique role to play linking the East and West. If Turkey lurches too far East, it may become more popular on some Arab streets, but it would lose a lot of its strategic relevance and, more importantly, its historic role as a country that can be Muslim, modern, democratic — and with good relations with both Israel and the Arabs. Once this crisis passes, it needs to get back in balance.

Ditto Israel. There is no question that this flotilla was a setup. Israel's intelligence failed to fully appreciate who was on board, and Israel's leaders certainly failed to think more creatively about how to avoid the very violent confrontation that the blockade-busters wanted. At the same time, though, the Israeli partial blockade of Hamas and Gaza has been going on for some four years now. It is surely not all Israel's fault, given the refusal of Hamas to recognize Israel or prior peace agreements, and its own repeated missile attacks on Israel.

But I sure know this: It is overwhelmingly in Israel's interest to bring more diplomatic imagination and energy to ending this Gaza siege. How long is this going to go on? Are we going to have a whole new generation grow up in Gaza with Israel counting how many calories they each get? That surely can't be in Israel's interest. Israel has gotten so good at controlling the Palestinians that it could get comfortable with an arrangement that will not only erode its own moral fabric but increase its international isolation. It may be that Hamas will give Israel no other choice, but Israel could show a lot more initiative in determining if that is really so.

One of my oldest Israeli friends, Victor Friedman (no relation), an education professor from Zichron Yaacov, e-mailed me the following on Tuesday: "It's time we started using our wits. If we used even a tiny fraction of the brain-power and resources we put into 'defense' into finding a way forward in terms of living with the Palestinians, we would have solved the problem long ago. The strategic situation has never been more opportune — the Arabs are scared of the Iranians, the Saudi peace plan is still on the table, and the Palestinians are beginning to act rationally. But we lack the leadership to help us make a real change."

This is a critical moment. Two of America's best friends are out of balance and infuriatingly at each other's throats. We have got to move quickly to get them both back to the center before this spins out of control.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Ulick

By American centric, I assume you mean the US wing of Israeli propaganda machine, heganboy:

the foltilla was a set-up
the blockade is not Israel's fault

Don't make me laugh...

muppet

How would we feel if Britain blockaded part or all of Northern Ireland during the troubles? I have no doubt some of us would naively cheer any rockets fired at Britain from within, no matter how disproportionate the response it drew. No doubt some of us would cheer if some 'activists' managed to break the blockade and blow up some 'targets' in Britain. Yes those some of us would be wrong, but it would be easy to empathise with them.

Turning a country/province, or whatever the Israeli spin doctors call it now, into a mass prison is a hideous act that will stick out in history like a sore thumb. Pointing to other perpetrators of hideous acts is not an argument, in fact it is an admission of guilt. Expecting the country that gave us Guantanamo, and invaded Iraq based on a lie, to sort it out seems optimistic at best.

Breaking the blockade was certainly a stunt designed to draw world attention but boy did Israel take the bait. I find it sickening when anyone tries to argue that they have the high moral ground. And this 'Hamas doesn't recognise Israel' argument doesn't wash either. There are far right Jewish groups who don't recognise Israel either but they don't live in blockaded territory.

Until the Good Friday Agreement, the Act of Union and the Irish Constitution were incompatible, making life difficult for dealings between the two Governments. Also one country was a serious military power while the other was in the middle ages militarily, and there were terrorists attacks frequently. There are a lot of similarities. If we are entitled to hate all things British (which I don't buy into myself) as a result of our history, then how are the Palestinians entitled to feel about Israel?

MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: Ulick on June 02, 2010, 01:40:26 PM
By American centric, I assume you mean the US wing of Israeli propaganda machine, heganboy:

the foltilla was a set-up
the blockade is not Israel's fault

Don't make me laugh...

The people you talk about here are American. They are not Israeli. This propaganda machine is an American one.

Ulick

Quote from: Zapatista on June 02, 2010, 02:46:08 PM
The people you talk about here are American. They are not Israeli. This propaganda machine is an American one.

Well I've quite a few friends in Bolivia and Argentina who would disagree with you but we'll not split hairs on that. The reason I say Israeli is because Israel has been allowed to define the context of the debate. By working within that context, as this fella does, then to me he is simply coalescing with and propagating Israeli propaganda.

Zapatista

Quote from: Ulick on June 02, 2010, 03:00:32 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on June 02, 2010, 02:46:08 PM

Well I've quite a few friends in Bolivia and Argentina who would disagree with you but we'll not split hairs on that. The reason I say Israeli is because Israel has been allowed to define the context of the debate. By working within that context, as this fella does, then to me he is simply coalescing with and propagating Israeli propaganda.

Fair enough I can't argue with that. I would be of the opinion that Americans (wether they are Jewish or not) towing the Israeli line are still American. Just as the many Irish who denied collusion are still Irish, they were just towing the British line. They are to blame for their actions as Irish.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: heganboy on June 02, 2010, 12:40:48 PM
and here is Tom Friedman's piece in the NY Times, a very american centric piece:
But I have a big problem when people get so agitated by Israel's actions in Gaza but are unmoved by Syria's involvement in the murder of the prime minister of Lebanon, by the Iranian regime's killing of its own citizens demonstrating for the right to have their votes counted, by Muslim suicide bombers murdering nearly 100 Ahmadi Muslims in mosques in Pakistan on Friday and by pro-Hamas gunmen destroying a U.N.-sponsored summer camp in Gaza because it wouldn't force Islamic fundamentalism down the throats of children.

That concern for Gaza and Israel's blockade is so out balance with these other horrific cases in the region that it is not surprising Israelis dismiss it as motivated by hatred — not the advice of friends.

This article falls down on this central axis.  I have no doubt that Syrian government are corrupt, that Pakistan and Iraq are riven with sectarian violence or that Hamas are fundamentalist nutters that have to be dealt with. However are we truly to believe that Palestinian issues are not on the same scale?  He seems to be trying to make small beans of the issue which is all wrong.

It's on a scale and longevity comparable to any other issue in the Middle East and critically is a contributor to issues far beyond Palestine.

So to my mind, it is surprising that Israel would see concern for the Palestinian as motivated by hatred.

After that I can't lend much credence to the man's views.

/Jim.

seafoid

Tom friedman is a moron. so the world is flat now is it.

Here is a very good article from the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz.www.haaretz.com

Strenger than Fiction / Israel's bunker mentality
Israel is stuck in the belief that it is right, and everybody else is wrong and hence incapable of admitting that its policy vis-à-vis the Palestinians has been disastrous.
By Carlo Strenger
There are two profound psychological blocks that do not allow Israel's leadership to get off its disastrous course, once again proven by the Gaza flotilla disaster: one is sheer fear, the other is self-righteousness.
Israel has real enemies like Iran and Hezbollah. Human psychology is such that fear often leads to freezing and hanging on to the same course of action, even if it proves disastrous time and again. As a result Israel doesn't listen to criticism - either from inside or from outside.
This inability to listen is reinforced by self-righteousness: Israel is stuck in the belief that it is right, and everybody else is wrong and hence incapable of admitting that Israeli policy vis-à-vis the Palestinians has been disastrous; that Israel should have engaged with the Arab League peace initiative years ago, and that a U turn needs to be made. Admitting that one has been wrong is always difficult; but Israel's need for self-righteousness makes it even more difficult.
Israel fails to see the difference between its friends that care, but criticize Israel for its wrongheadedness and those who hate Israel and want its demise. Time and again Europeans who care for Israel tell me 'we want to support you; we want Israel to be a thriving country. We are in favor of the Zionist dream. But please tell us: why is your government so intent to harm Israel? Why does it drive away its friends? Why can't it listen to our advice? Is there anything we can do or say that will reach the hearts and minds of your leaders?'
This exasperation has been expressed publicly by French philosopher Bernard-Henri Levy, one of Israel's staunchest friends, who has been taking on Israel's critics from the European extreme left with force and courage for years. He writes that the state of mind of Israel's leadership that says 'the world doesn't understand us' and 'damn if we do and damn if we don't, so we'll just do what we want' has reached the level of what he calls political autism.
When asked what could turn around Israel's leadership I am at a loss for an answer, because Israel doesn't even listen to critics from the inside. Some reacted to the Flotilla debacle emotionally. David Grossman wrote a moving piece in which he speaks of the shame he feels about Israel's actions. He expresses his pain about how far Israel has declined.
Others wrote in a more analytical vein. Amos Oz in a judicious op-ed in the New York Times speaks of the importance of realizing the limits of force; that Israel must start understanding that there is no way to defeat Hamas by military means, and that Israel can stop the current deterioration only by moving quickly towards a peace agreement with Fatah about a Palestinians state with East Jerusalem as its capital.
But Israel's leadership has gone into a bunker mentality. Like a city besieged in the times before telecommunications, nothing reaches its hearts and minds. To the extent they will even read Grossman, Oz, Levy and countless others, the reaction will be "all these pundits and intellectuals; what do they know about the world! We need to stick to our inner truth; we know what's right for Israel. We don't need the usual gibberish of intellectuals; soft-hearted, unrealistic people who don't have a clue about how the real world works."
It may be more surprising that Israel's leadership doesn't even listen to its own professional intelligence echelon. During the media frenzy of the last days a crucial headline has received close to no attention: Mossad chief Meir Dagan told the Knesset's Foreign Relations Committee that Israel is gradually turning from a strategic asset into a liability for the United States of America.
As it's a bit difficult to brush aside Dagan as a softheaded idealist, our policy makers will find another way not to listen. They will say, "this would never have happened under George W. Bush; this is only because the Obama administration is not friendly towards Israel. We simply need to wait for Obama to end this term; he won't get reelected."

Nothing could be further from the truth. I have heard warnings that Israel is becoming a strategic liability for the U.S. from Americans, including high ranking members of the George W. Bush administration, for years. The only difference is that during the Bush years, nobody in the administration would say this on record or for attribution.
I doubt the government will listen even to Dagan: Netanyahu is frozen; Moshe Ya'alon believes in Israel's eternal right to the Greater Israel; Eli Yishai has no clue about international relations; and Barak seems to have lost the ability to think clearly a long time ago.
I wish I could end on a note of optimism; I wish I could point out a psychological mechanism that will unblock Israel's leadership from fear and self-righteousness. But I share David Grossman's despair. All that is left for those of us who want to save Israel from itself - whether Israelis, Jews in the Diaspora or gentiles - is to continue the call to reason, even if we don't know if, when and how it will be heard.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

Just saw that Henning Mankell (author of the Wallander detective novels, among others) was on the Swedish ship in the flotilla - he's been released today and is back in Sweden. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Zapatista on June 02, 2010, 11:07:39 AM
Looks like the Government have finally taken direct action.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/page/s/gaza?source=gazapetition&utm_source=fiannafail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=gazapetition

They are going to petition the Israelis.  >:(

How about this Government do something worth while for a change. They can stick their petition up their arse.

I say they should storm the Embassy and kidnap the Israeli ambassador. They can then offer to swap the ambassador for Irish hostages held in Israel.

I say storm the embassy shooting and when he grabs the closest object to him to defend himself put a bullet in his head and claim we've a right to defend Ireland.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: give her dixie on June 02, 2010, 06:48:24 PM
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3898073,00.html

"Rightist lawmaker Moshe Mutz Matalon (Yisrael Beitenu) told Zoabi, "Nice work. In one day you've managed to accomplish what the treacherous people around you have been trying to do for years. Unfortunately, the (commando) fighters (who raided the aid flotilla) acted with too much restraint. They left only nine floating voters."

Taken from the link Dixie posted - f**king shocking!! And this said in their "democratic" parliament
Tbc....

stew

Quote from:  
I say they should storm the Embassy and kidnap the Israeli ambassador. They can then offer to swap the ambassador for Irish hostages held in Israel.
/b]
I say storm the embassy shooting and when he grabs the closest object to him to defend himself put a bullet in his head and claim we've a right to defend Ireland.
[/quote]

Eh I can see several issues with that pog.  :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.