Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiMucker

Quote from: deiseach on June 23, 2014, 05:08:32 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 23, 2014, 04:51:25 PM
I will hold my hand up to you and Hardy and admit that I am a GAA bigot. However just to be clear I strongly argue that I'm not a religious bigot nor nationality bigot - just a gaelic games bigot.

My tiny mind cannot understand how someone with such a tradition on his mothers side can completely ignore the game.  That is the crux of the matter for me, and which is why I list the things in his environment which could have influenced him.

At the risk of doing a David Walsh and just filling in the gaps with whatever pop psychology is to hand, maybe Rory doesn't think of anything past golf. You often see reference being made to soccer players who supported team X when they were a boy yet have no problem plying for team X's greatest foe. For me, this is  because their support for team X was very shallow. To get to the level they did, they ate/drank/slept the playing of the game, and didn't have much time for anything else. And Rory McIlroy has risen very far in his chosen sport.
That's a pretty good summary.  I think support in anything you haven't invested time and energy in is shallow

nrico2006

A lot of effort goes on here to try and run McIlroy into the ground.  Should we generate a list of famous catholics who for some strange reason don't pump lots of their money into the GAA?  How does anyone on here know what his mothers tradition is?  How does anybody here know if McIlroys mother has or had any interest in the GAA?  Did she play?  Did she attend lots of games?  Or did she simply have a relative that played?  I have loads of relatives that haven't an interest in gaelic or hurling, me and my brother play but does that mean my sister is a fan? (she isn't).
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Zip Code

Everyone berating him are simply jealous as f**k - get over it lads and move on.

Orior

Quote from: Zip Code on June 24, 2014, 08:49:16 AM
Everyone berating him are simply jealous as f**k - get over it lads and move on.

His mother's family has a strong GAA tradition.

Just to be clear, I am not berating Rory. In fact I am a huge fan - tournaments get boring once he is out of contention.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

I'm not a McIlroy fan. However as a nordie there is a conflict in all of us when it comes to idenity, although I don't like admitting it. I see no problem with his support for Ulster Rugby. I don't really have an issue with his thinking of himself as more British than Irish, it is probably true of a lot of people in the south as well. The only real issue I have and it is not his fault is the use of that loyalist rag to represent people from the North. I also feel that in an all Ireland sport we need an agreed neutral flag. But there is an Irish tendancy and not just in people from Hollywood to lick arse, be it British, European or American arse. Rory's not on his own.

Hardy

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 03:37:20 PM
I'm not a McIlroy fan. However as a nordie there is a conflict in all of us when it comes to idenity, although I don't like admitting it. I see no problem with his support for Ulster Rugby. I don't really have an issue with his thinking of himself as more British than Irish, it is probably true of a lot of people in the south as well. The only real issue I have and it is not his fault is the use of that loyalist rag to represent people from the North. I also feel that in an all Ireland sport we need an agreed neutral flag. But there is an Irish tendancy and not just in people from Hollywood to lick arse, be it British, European or American arse. Rory's not on his own.

I don't know anyone (Irish) in the south who thinks this way.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 03:39:35 PM

Ah come on Hardy, surely there are loads of Irish people in Meath flying the UJ proudly outside their homes?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Ah there are in fairness Hardy. I myself have a neighbour from Edinburgh initially and he thinks himself more British than Irish. I've tried to burn him out of his house, but I keep using the petrol in my lawnmower instead.

I have another neighbour from Australia, and another from South Africa. They don't consider themselves Irish either the b**tards.

Feck ya Hardy. I think you edited the post to say (Irish).

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 03:42:37 PM
Ah there are in fairness Hardy. I myself have a neighbour from Edinburgh initially and he thinks himself more British than Irish. I've tried to burn him out of his house, but I keep using the petrol in my lawnmower instead.

I have another neighbour from Australia, and another from South Africa. They don't consider themselves Irish either the b**tards.

Feck ya Hardy. I think you edited the post to say (Irish).

Did not. I'm not like you!

Applesisapples

Dosen't say much for your social circle. I'd say there are still a fair few West Brits out there!

AZOffaly

Define 'a lot'. I'm sure there are some people in the Republic that feel an affinity to the UK, but I don't know a hell of a lot that would describe themselves as more British than Irish. Of course to 1 lad on his own, 3 fellas with steel toe capped boots is a lot.

Billys Boots

I honestly have never ever (and I've been thinking about it for the last few minutes) met an Irish person who considered themselves British - the SF propaganda is evidently misleading. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hardy

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 03:51:05 PM

Dosen't say much for your social circle. I'd say there are still a fair few West Brits out there!

My social circle is grand. As it happens, a lot of it includes Church of Ireland people, by virtue of a particular concentration of them where I live. Popular prejudice would presume a high level of pro-British feeling among people of that background. I don't know one of them who considers himself/herself anything but Irish, never mind "more British than Irish".

I mean no reflection on yourself, Applesisapples. I find that a lot of Northerners harbour this misconception about us Irish down here. It's just not true.

Applesisapples

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2014, 03:53:13 PM
Define 'a lot'. I'm sure there are some people in the Republic that feel an affinity to the UK, but I don't know a hell of a lot that would describe themselves as more British than Irish. Of course to 1 lad on his own, 3 fellas with steel toe capped boots is a lot.
Perhaps a better word would have been some, as you say a lot depends on circumstances.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on June 24, 2014, 04:23:37 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2014, 03:51:05 PM

My social circle is grand. As it happens, a lot of it includes Church of Ireland people, by virtue of a particular concentration of them where I live. Popular prejudice would presume a high level of pro-British feeling among people of that background. I don't know one of them who considers himself/herself anything but Irish, never mind "more British than Irish".

I mean no reflection on yourself, Applesisapples. I find that a lot of Northerners harbour this misconception about us Irish down here. It's just not true.
You Irish down there as opposed to us brits? There are many prods in border counties who would be more British than Irish. Take Basil McCrea and WIllie Hay as examples both prominent Unionist Politicians, both born in Donegal.
The Social Circle bit was tongue in cheek.