Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 10, 2013, 04:40:24 PM
I think he's actually a sponsor and puts quite a bit of money into Ulster rugby.

I believe or was led to believe that he pays one of the main players wages!!

I see he's acting the eejit again and started a Charity foundation FFS!! Is there no end to him being a dcik :o No doubt he'll get a telling off from some of our posters here
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Wullie Frazer started a charity foundation at a stage.

Hardy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2013, 09:57:13 AM
I think he's actually a sponsor and puts quite a bit of money into Ulster rugby.

I see he's acting the eejit again and started a Charity foundation FFS!! Is there no end to him being a dcik :o No doubt he'll get a telling off from some of our posters here

That depends - is it a Catholic charity foundation or a Protestant charity foundation or, worst of all, a cowardly cop-out non-denominational charity foundation?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on January 11, 2013, 10:04:22 AM
Wullie Frazer started a charity foundation at a stage.

7 minutes! Well done,  I was expecting a better response but that will do.......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

I really love how much my dislike of Rory McIlroy annoys you guys!

Franko

Quote from: Hardy on January 11, 2013, 10:50:11 AM

That depends - is it a Catholic charity foundation or a Protestant charity foundation or, worst of all, a cowardly cop-out non-denominational charity foundation?

I couldn't care what side of the fence Rory positions himself on.  I do think it is cowardly not to make a decision and miss out on representing his country (whichever one that may be) in the Olympics because he doesn't want to offend people.  That's the very basis of my opinion on him.  He tries too hard to be liked and comes across as not being genuine.  Listen to any of his interviews - endless platitudes and soundbytes which really say nothing.

Milltown Row2

A sportsman giving endless platitudes and soundbytes which really say nothing, shock horror!! There mustn't not be a sportsman/woman  you like then, as they all are guilty of that

Megaman

Quote from: Franko on January 11, 2013, 11:36:57 AM

I couldn't care what side of the fence Rory positions himself on.  I do think it is cowardly not to make a decision and miss out on representing his country (whichever one that may be) in the Olympics because he doesn't want to offend people.  That's the very basis of my opinion on him.  He tries too hard to be liked and comes across as not being genuine.  Listen to any of his interviews - endless platitudes and soundbytes which really say nothing.

Listen to 99% of golf interviews and thats what they are like, McDowell is the worst of them all for that.

Most sports people cant say what they want on interviews, they mostly say what the viewers want to hear.

ive met him twice and albeit for a very short time i found him to be very friendly and took the time to speak to me, which he didnt have to.

Dont see how it would be cowardly btw.

i also woldnt say im a massive fan either and i think he should choose to play for ireland but would understand if he said sod it i wont play at all, which would be sad, not cowardly IMHO

sans pessimism

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 10, 2013, 10:40:21 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2013, 10:20:23 AM
Jesus lads what we need is a discussion board where everybody agrees with everybody. McIlroy is an overpayed sportsman in a sport that has too many like him. To be clear I no more begrudge McIlroy his success than I would Clarke or G Mac, Woods or any other. He undoubtedly has talent. It is some what disengenous for people who don't know me to question my genuine belief that McIlroy has the right to choose, as has Marc Wilson, The Chambers, Darren Gibson, Paddy McCourt etc... I am also entitled to resent his use of a flag that has no official designation and under which close friends of mine were killed and injured. I have also quite clearly stated that flags need to be removed from sports where we expect Unionists and Nationalists to compete together. The crux of all of this a bit like the flag protests is that a shared future and mutual respect can only be done on terms that suit one community.

McIlroy has opened this can of worms for himself, compare the care with which G Mac and Clarke conduct themselves. He is young and certainly has been ill advised. I have no problem with his feeling Northern Irish as opposed to Irish or even his feeling of being British, given his schooling and where he was brought up that is understandable. My own childern would consider themselves Northern Irish and Irish and see no problem or contradiction.

Too many on this board resort to personal attacks rather than reason, and don't really want to understand that different people have different experiences which infuence our ideas and thoughts.If you look at some of my exchanges with Nally on other threads it will be apparent that I am quite liberal and consistent in my argument. More than can be said for some!

Would it be fair to say you had a personal attack of Rory?

I'd be happy with peoples views on sportsmen being paid too much but that's the nature of the beast, I think when a kid as young as 5/6 picks up a sport he doesn't realise that that sport will actually pay his big money if he turns out to be a goodin. He plays it cause he enjoys it, anything after tat is a bonus.

I don't think that Rory runs over and throws the N.I unofficial flag on himself, fans possibly with another agenda do or fans of N.I sportsmen do. As for being ill advised, I think in the past or present we've all been guilty of being ill advised, no one is perfect. I've said before if you don't like his personality then fine if you don't like him because he may pick one side over another then that (in my opinion) is different.

I can't sometimes get this place, we've had some great sports people over the years and we always have the opinion that we or them own him ffs. Mary Peters had death threats, Barry McGuigan had death threats while in their prime in this place. They were number one at their game, came from such a small province and yet we have so many knockers about. Rory McIlroy is number one in a sport that the Americans have dominated for years (namely Tiger) and he's from Co. Down, that's some achievement. I've yet to see an interview from him that he has been rude, bad or said anything that would give the impression that warrants some of the things said here, but each to their OWN I suppose
Join the club MR2!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2013, 12:10:58 PM
A sportsman giving endless platitudes and soundbytes which really say nothing, shock horror!! There mustn't not be a sportsman/woman  you like then, as they all are guilty of that

Bit of a head wrecker there MR2!  Like I said before, I get a sense of falseness from him.  Just my opinion of course.  I dont understand why this has caused such consternation amongst you though!  Is it a prerequisite that you must like him because he is local and successful?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Olaf on January 10, 2013, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Olaf on January 09, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2013, 11:11:04 AM
I have no problem with McIlroy playing for GB if that is his wish, I have said he has the right to choose. He does however come from a nationalist catholic community which for years suffered discrimination and violence in the name of said Ulster Flag. His own uncle was shot in its name. That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided. The proliferation of Ulster Flags in 1999 was due in large part to the DUP who handed them out free. Ulster Rugby actually plays under the old 9 County Flag which predates partition.
I think that you do have problem with him playing for GB (if that be his wish)

He was obviously brought up by parents in a difficult and  divided society who ensured that he mixed with both ussuns and themmuns through his schooling etc. That upbringing has evidently manifested itself in a fairly mature and rounded adult ideal for 21st Century NI.

The only flag that "Ulster Rugby" have any association with is the one with their logo printed on it.

DUP handing out free  flags in '99??  You're having a laugh. I got mine in Dublin. ;)
You are quite wrong their, yes as with the other provinces the Ulster Team has a badge which they have put on flags, check the Ulster Branch Website which is the controlling body for Ulster Rugby. And yes you may have got yours in Dublin but the DUP quite proudly advertised that they were giving them out.

The team that plays at Ravenhill does not represent the old province of Ulster - it is a club  like all others in professional rugby.  That said it obviously has a connection to this part of the world (and other parts) hence the variety of colourful flags on show which I must say makes it a bit of a spectacle and which I quite like. What goes on the pitch is more important though .

Rory likes the rugby too doesn't he . Maybe the diversity attracts him as well as a feeling of connection to the team.

I get the feeling that , ulike yourself , the only flags that he is really concerned with are those positioned on the short grass.
Absolute bullshit, what you are saying would make the NI flag irrelevant. It plays Rugby Union, draws its players from Ulster Clubs (and abroad too) but this is all regulated by the Ulster Branch of the IRFU. You OWC revisionism does not stand the test. Check the web site, the Ulster Branch Club Rugby has its own section...inextricably linked to coin a phrase.

Applesisapples

Quote from: heganboy on January 10, 2013, 03:09:46 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2013, 02:40:21 PM
Like it or not they matter

they matter? what is more accurate to say is that they matter to you. Maybe you'd like to share with us why they matter so much to you?like it or not...
Yes Flags emblems and equality matter to me and to others, and I feel we need to be sensitive in their use. The Designated days is not equality but it is a worthy compromise and not a defeat for loyalism. They may not mean the same to others, but that is democracy and freedom of choice.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Franko on January 11, 2013, 11:36:57 AM

+1

Olaf

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 01:32:01 PM
Quote from: Olaf on January 10, 2013, 03:34:59 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 10, 2013, 10:00:59 AM
Quote from: Olaf on January 09, 2013, 06:52:57 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 09, 2013, 11:11:04 AM
I have no problem with McIlroy playing for GB if that is his wish, I have said he has the right to choose. He does however come from a nationalist catholic community which for years suffered discrimination and violence in the name of said Ulster Flag. His own uncle was shot in its name. That is the issue and Heganboy whether you like it or not it is an issue for many people in much the same way the tricolour is for the unionist community. I would prefer to see all flags taken out of sport where identities are divided. The proliferation of Ulster Flags in 1999 was due in large part to the DUP who handed them out free. Ulster Rugby actually plays under the old 9 County Flag which predates partition.
I think that you do have problem with him playing for GB (if that be his wish)

He was obviously brought up by parents in a difficult and  divided society who ensured that he mixed with both ussuns and themmuns through his schooling etc. That upbringing has evidently manifested itself in a fairly mature and rounded adult ideal for 21st Century NI.

The only flag that "Ulster Rugby" have any association with is the one with their logo printed on it.

DUP handing out free  flags in '99??  You're having a laugh. I got mine in Dublin. ;)
You are quite wrong their, yes as with the other provinces the Ulster Team has a badge which they have put on flags, check the Ulster Branch Website which is the controlling body for Ulster Rugby. And yes you may have got yours in Dublin but the DUP quite proudly advertised that they were giving them out.

The team that plays at Ravenhill does not represent the old province of Ulster - it is a club  like all others in professional rugby.  That said it obviously has a connection to this part of the world (and other parts) hence the variety of colourful flags on show which I must say makes it a bit of a spectacle and which I quite like. What goes on the pitch is more important though .

Rory likes the rugby too doesn't he . Maybe the diversity attracts him as well as a feeling of connection to the team.

I get the feeling that , ulike yourself , the only flags that he is really concerned with are those positioned on the short grass.
Absolute bullshit, what you are saying would make the NI flag irrelevant. It plays Rugby Union, draws its players from Ulster Clubs (and abroad too) but this is all regulated by the Ulster Branch of the IRFU. You OWC revisionism does not stand the test.

Relevant to the extent that a large number of the players were born and  brought up in NI.

Ulster flags , NI flags , Saffa flags, St Patrick flags ,Rising Sun flags - relevant or not still make for a colourful spectacle. Pity you can't enjoy it.

heganboy

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2013, 01:35:14 PM

Yes Flags emblems and equality matter to me and to others, and I feel we need to be sensitive in their use. The Designated days is not equality but it is a worthy compromise and not a defeat for loyalism. They may not mean the same to others, but that is democracy and freedom of choice.

ok I hear you that the flag issue is sensitive. no issue with that. perfectly reasonable comment.

now back to Roy McIlroy please let me know why your post mentions or has anything to do with equality, Designated days and defeat for loyalism.Equality? Democracy and freedom of choice?
If you had any belief in any of the above it is apparent that you would agree Rory has the right to do what he wants (that'll be the equality and freedom of choice parts)

By any chance are you a politician? You took a question, shaped up as if you were going to answer it, and then waffled about democracy and equality.

apples may be apples, but you're apples and oranges posts aren't fooling anyone...

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity