Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
At the risk of repeating myself...

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.
2) he went to a non-denominational school. Which means soccer and no gaelic.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldn't allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.

How do you know he would have been a handy CF?

Boy's Model ran in partnership with St Pats a hurling team, a lot of promotional stuff and it worked well for what it was.

Going to a non denominational school means fcuk all, Holywood has it's own Gaelic team, he choose not to play for them as golf was his thing, going to a non denominational school also made him have friends outside of his religion, not a bad idea as the dcikhead who wants to keep this place divided will send their kids to one religion schools. Just my view

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 03, 2013, 10:24:21 PM

All golfing competitions are organised on a provincial and all-Ireland basis. So what would make Rory feel British?

1) he was brought up in Holywood with its English maypole and forever bedecked in british/loyalist flags.

This is why I'm not a fan of non-denominational schools - the ones I have seen wouldn't allow gaelic football. Rory could have been a handy left corner forward for Down.

Boy's Model ran in partnership with St Pats a hurling team, a lot of promotional stuff and it worked well for what it was.

Going to a non denominational school means fcuk all, Holywood has it's own Gaelic team, he choose not to play for them as golf was his thing, going to a non denominational school also made him have friends outside of his religion, not a bad idea as the dcikhead who wants to keep this place divided will send their kids to one religion schools. Just my view

I was talking to a woman who had a brief teaching spell in the Boys Model. On the second day the pupils worked out that she was a catholic so they drummed the sash on the walls every time she walked past them. Nice place.

I went to a school that wouldnt entertain soccer. I'm just a product of that era, and all I can see is the erosion of Gaelic games through non-denominational schools.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

You are really down on dickheads this evening.

michaelg

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 10:29:43 PM

I was talking to a woman who had a brief teaching spell in the Boys Model. On the second day the pupils worked out that she was a catholic so they drummed the sash on the walls every time she walked past them. Nice place.

I went to a school that wouldnt entertain soccer. I'm just a product of that era, and all I can see is the erosion of Gaelic games through non-denominational schools.
Just out of interest, do you get many protestant teachers teaching in catholic schools? 

Milltown Row2

I went to a school that didn't play soccer either, was raging as we had a decent team. Was that an erosion of soccer within my school/area? I work in a college (Mainly protestants) and the kids can't help themselves drumming the sash, do I give a fcuk? No. I've taught on the Falls also and the kids are exactly the same, just different tunes.

I have no problem telling the students I'm from the Falls, or having debates with them and it's good craic.

Too many people living in the past

Yes Tony, too many dcikheads, thought I'd try and be less grumpy this year, really difficult when some posters want to live in the past and be annoyed over what some golfer from Hollywood want's to do or not.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Just so I have this right. Of I send my children to a demoninational school and I don't think that sport should be divided, then I am a dcikhead?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

Personally speaking i think it's the guy's own choice and wouldn't be annoyed either way.

However at the minute i think if he wants to declare for ireland i think he would need to watch as his family live here and you'd worry about the safety of them.

I think he will probably declare for britain in the end. There's too much shite at the minute with flags etc and he's playing it tactfully.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 03, 2013, 10:49:29 PM
Just so I have this right. Of I send my children to a denominational school and I don't think that sport should be divided, then I am a dcikhead?

No, I didn't say that, I think sending kids to a non  denominational school means fcuk all, I was replying to Orior post.

Continually sending kids to divided schools will only keep people divided, just my view

armaghniac

Continually sending people to different teams, or worse starting to do so will not do a whole lot to end division.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: michaelg on January 03, 2013, 10:34:08 PM

Just out of interest, do you get many protestant teachers teaching in catholic schools?

Yes indeed. Though we try not to give them any big roles during school masses. I know one protestant lady that had to lead a decade of the rosary.

Myles Na G.

No bad thing really, if we want to see decent soccer and rugby teams representing Ireland on a world stage. At he moment our sporting   and athletic talent is dissipated across too many sports.

Throw ball

Must admit that I am a golf fan and a fan of Rory. However, I could not give one damn who he plays for. Harrington I seem to remember said he should declare for Britain then he would have a chance of playing for Ireland. Maybe if McDowell could get up the rankings a bit he could join Rory and Ireland could have more Irishmen at the Olympics!

Orior

I want Ireland to win as many Gold medals as possible. Therefore I want Rory to play for Ireland as it maximises our chances. What is wrong with that?

I also choose not to support non-denominational schools.

Throw ball

Quote from: Orior on January 03, 2013, 11:11:31 PM
I want Ireland to win as many Gold medals as possible. Therefore I want Rory to play for Ireland as it maximises our chances. What is wrong with that?

I also choose not to support non-denominational schools.

Nothing I would say

Orior

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 03, 2013, 11:07:07 PM

No bad thing really, if we want to see decent soccer and rugby teams representing Ireland on a world stage. At he moment our sporting   and athletic talent is dissipated across too many sports.

You need to go check the raison d'etre for the GAA.