American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2019, 03:48:16 PM
Twitter going mad for the Christian Wade TD last night for the Bills. It was impressive for his first ever touch.  I read somewhere that he goes into the practice squads for this season though.

It's still only preseason so he'll have some work to do this month to get on the main roster. He didn't get another carry after his TD!

David McKeown

Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2019, 04:05:47 PM
Twitter going mad for the Christian Wade TD last night for the Bills. It was impressive for his first ever touch.  I read somewhere that he goes into the practice squads for this season though.

It's still only preseason so he'll have some work to do this month to get on the main roster. He didn't get another carry after his TD!

I thought under the rules of the international development pathway he can only make the practice squad this year (but doesn't count against the maximum number there) however he is not allowed on the main roster.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

screenexile

Quote from: David McKeown on August 09, 2019, 04:10:59 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 09, 2019, 04:05:47 PM

I thought under the rules of the international development pathway he can only make the practice squad this year (but doesn't count against the maximum number there) however he is not allowed on the main roster.

Shit sorry you're right they can only practice this year then they are eligible to play next year.

Ball Hopper

Sports Illustrated NFL Review - and the kiss of death by being on the cover goes to the Cleveland Browns!!!

Oraisteach

Lol, we've been kissed by death for ages!

DrinkingHarp

Andrew Luck Colts QB is retiring on Sunday, reported during Bears/Indy game.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gmac

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on August 25, 2019, 02:57:10 AM
leaving colts in a major jam , saw a power ranking and they were number 5

gallsman

Brave move. Must be one of the biggest shocks in NFL history.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Gmac on August 25, 2019, 04:43:55 AM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on August 25, 2019, 02:57:10 AM
leaving colts in a major jam , saw a power ranking and they were number 5

Sports Illustrated has Colts losing to Pats in AFC Championship game (Pats to beat Saints in Super Bowl, by the way). 

Browns picked to win their division, but not advance too far in playoffs.

magpie seanie

Colts "fans" booing Luck after his retirement announcement is conclusive proof (if any were needed) that there are a multitude of idiots out there. Absolutely ridiculous.

tyroneman

Just goes to show that rule#1 = find a franchise QB , should be quickly followed by rule #2 = protect that QB ........

If Luck had've been given a decent OL he could conceivably have been up there challenging for GOAT status.

Derek Carr, a decent but much more limited QB,  was in the MVP conversations a few years ago, but only behind a top 3 OL

TabClear

Quote from: gallsman on August 25, 2019, 10:07:04 AM
Brave move. Must be one of the biggest shocks in NFL history.

I remember Barry Sanders retiring at 30/31 a year after running for 2,00 yards with 3 years left on his contract and teh rushing record in his sights. In my opinion the most exciting RB I have ever watched. Interesting he said in 2015 he was "young and foolish" when he retired.

Hard to argue with Luck if its for health reasons. I am sure he did not take the decision lightly but unfortunately there are a lot of ex NFL stars with millions in  the bank crippled by chronic health issues. It is a brutal sport.  Luck is set up for life, has the kind of personality you would imagine will be in demand as a pundit so good luck to him. Leaves the Colts in a jam though in a year where many people, including myself, fancied them to go far. 

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 26, 2019, 08:51:59 AM
Colts "fans" booing Luck after his retirement announcement is conclusive proof (if any were needed) that there are a multitude of idiots out there. Absolutely ridiculous.

I still can't get my head around the breath-taking ignorance, stupidity, and arrogant entitlement of someone who would do this.

Hound

Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2019, 08:55:39 AM

I still can't get my head around the breath-taking ignorance, stupidity, and arrogant entitlement of someone who would do this.
If you pay for your ticket, and those funds have helped Luck earn $100m from your team, then you've every entitlement to boo if you want to boo. I'm sure some see the timing of this as awful just before the season starts, rather than at the end of a season, leaving your team high and dry. It's been reported (rightly or wrongly) that the leg injury isn't that serious and he's quoted as not being prepared to put the work in this time to go through recovery etc.  So you could argue that Luck could have handled this a little bit better.

But being entitled to boo, doesn't make it less stupid!

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on August 28, 2019, 08:55:39 AM

that was at the game Saturday night when luck was standing on sideline and it had leaked that he was retiring, add in the fact that 90% of people at nfl games are pounding a lot of beers it's not a surprise at all