2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I'll stick my neck out and be positive and say I think Tyrone could win the league this year.
I think we saw last year away to Kerry that they didn't really want to win it as there was no zip or fight in the last game of the season.

Looking at the fixtures this year we have a reasonably easy start away to Galway who seem to be missing half their team (by all accounts above) and then we've got the Dubs C team at home at the start of Feb which should be another BOO II (battle of Omagh) as we need to lay down a marker and the Dubs will be wary of getting injuries or suspensions.
Kildare and Monaghan away are next up with Mayo away probably our only hard game as we've Kerry at home on the last day of the year again to top the table.

It would be good to win a national title at this stage to give these lads a bit of belief that they are not just gonna plateau as a top 4 team and be happy with that.  I'd much rather win the league and lose our first round in Ulster than win nothing all year except another McKenna cup.

In a way big Sean going might help this team to wake up and start showing some leadership of their own.
Are any of the new lads worth watching?

Syferus

First I've heard of Galway missing most of their team. Only a few of Corofin's players are regular starters for them and they're probably better off without a liability like Power in goal anyway.

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 05, 2018, 01:43:36 PM
I'll stick my neck out and be positive and say I think Tyrone could win the league this year.
I think we saw last year away to Kerry that they didn't really want to win it as there was no zip or fight in the last game of the season.

Looking at the fixtures this year we have a reasonably easy start away to Galway who seem to be missing half their team (by all accounts above) and then we've got the Dubs C team at home at the start of Feb which should be another BOO II (battle of Omagh) as we need to lay down a marker and the Dubs will be wary of getting injuries or suspensions.
Kildare and Monaghan away are next up with Mayo away probably our only hard game as we've Kerry at home on the last day of the year again to top the table.

It would be good to win a national title at this stage to give these lads a bit of belief that they are not just gonna plateau as a top 4 team and be happy with that.  I'd much rather win the league and lose our first round in Ulster than win nothing all year except another McKenna cup.

In a way big Sean going might help this team to wake up and start showing some leadership of their own.

I know you hammered us last season but we don't feature in your calculations? :P

From the Bunker

Every county in Division One did not want to play Dublin in the League Final away in Croker last year! Kerry ended up in the final by default and had a go and caught the Dubs. Tyrone are still in no-where land.  If Dublin throw their hat at the league, I'd expect Kerry to land another title!

Maroon Manc

I'm expecting Galway to go down, far too many of the Corofin players missing and there's 5 lads out through injury leaves the panel looking very thin and then there's the goalie problem which doesn't seem any closer to been solved. Hoepfully we can find a few new players though, Sean Andy Kelly & Cooke both look ready to make the breakthrough.

I think Donegal will join Galway in been relegated although look at how conditioned Donegal were this time last year.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2018, 01:54:42 PM
First I've heard of Galway missing most of their team. Only a few of Corofin's players are regular starters for them and they're probably better off without a liability like Power in goal anyway.
Power
Burke
O Curraoin
Heaney
O Donnell
Daly
Silke

That's seven of the starting team from last year straight away.
The other Corofin lads like Sice and Lundy I don't think will be starters anymore.
Though I reckon Kieran Molloy will see game time.
That's a fair chunk of lads to be missing for your first division one campaign in a while.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on January 05, 2018, 02:48:53 PM
Power
Burke
O Curraoin
Heaney
O Donnell
Daly
Silke

The other Corofin lads like Sice and Lundy I don't think will be starters anymore.
That's a fair chunk of lads to be missing for your first division one campaign in a while.

FOC was dropped as a starter after he was flayed by Enda Smith in the CF.. it's very easy to get to half a team missing if every lad who started any old game is a considered a proper starter.

D1 is about application and work-rate more than anything else. If Galway have been training properly for it they can be competitive because the big teams treat it like a jolly up for the first few rounds. Tyrone aren't one of those teams so it's a bad draw getting them first, though.

My doubt is that Walsh isn't a good enough manager to get them right for a serious crack at it and will end up caught between two stools with the early summer meeting with Mayo also closing in.

seafoid

https://youtu.be/7OrLroFa0AI

But it might need more than tinkering around the edges
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2018, 04:06:45 PM
Power
Burke
O Curraoin
Heaney
O Donnell
Daly
Silke

FOC was dropped as a starter after he was flayed by Enda Smith in the CF.. it's very easy to get to half a team missing if every lad who started any old game is a considered a proper starter.

D1 is about application and work-rate more than anything else. If Galway have been training properly for it they can be competitive because the big teams treat it like a jolly up for the first few rounds. Tyrone aren't one of those teams so it's a bad draw getting them first, though.

My doubt is that Walsh isn't a good enough manager to get them right for a serious crack at it and will end up caught between two stools with the early summer meeting with Mayo also closing in.
If you're going to try and come across as an authority on the Galway football team and be as pedantic as usual you might as well get your facts straight.
FOC was injured for the game after the Connacht final last year not dropped.
Who's to know whether he would have been picked or not but he was unavailable for that game is the fact of the matter.
The other 6 players I mentioned above all started that game - so I'm hardky naming lads that started "any aul game" as you so eloquently put it.
There are other lads injured/unavailable who I didn't name at all there who would be considered squad players - but losses all the same as our squad depth wouldn't be hectic.

Rossfan

Arrah Galayman d'ya not know Syfīn is from Wonderland where things mean whatever he says they mean?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on January 05, 2018, 04:39:01 PM
Power
Burke
O Curraoin
Heaney
O Donnell
Daly
Silke

If you're going to try and come across as an authority on the Galway football team and be as pedantic as usual you might as well get your facts straight.
Who's to know whether he would have been picked or not but he was unavailable for that game is the fact of the matter.
The other 6 players I mentioned above all started that game - so I'm hardky naming lads that started "any aul game" as you so eloquently put it.
There are other lads injured/unavailable who I didn't name at all there who would be considered squad players - but losses all the same as our squad depth wouldn't be hectic.

Don't bring your own biases into the discussion - I never said that. and if you want to say so please show me where I did.

Most teams can name a similar list of absentees to Galway's - I'd argue that in many of the positions the players you named there's a better young addition like Sean Andy or Cooke or another player of a similar quality such as Varley or Cummins so the difference is not going to be as clear cut as "half our team is missing!!" would appear at first glance.

It's a massive bugbear of mine that some supporters try to use it as a way to downplay what their team's standard for success should be. No county team isn't nursing between 5-10 injuries or absentees ever year.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on January 05, 2018, 05:17:02 PM
Quote from: galwayman on January 05, 2018, 04:39:01 PM
Power
Burke
O Curraoin
Heaney
O Donnell
Daly
Silke

Don't bring your own biases into the discussion - I never said that. and if you want to say so please show me where I did.

Most teams can name a similar list of absentees to Galway's - I'd argue that in many of the positions the players you named there's a better young addition like Sean Andy or Cooke or another player of a similar quality such as Varley or Cummins so the difference is not going to be as clear cut as "half our team is missing!!" would appear at first glance.

It's a massive bugbear of mine that some supporters try to use it as a way to downplay what their team's standard for success should be. No county team isn't nursing between 5-10 injuries or absentees ever year.
I never once said "half our team is missing".
In response to other posts I merely listed the names of guys who could be considered first choice players that are/will be unavailable.
You'll notice I didn't include lads such as Cummins (who you mentioned in your post above) although he too is unavailable.
Look back through the thread - there is nobody phrasing it as "half our team is missing" except yourself.
I think pointing out that we will possibly struggle due to player absences in division one is a valid point to make in a thread about NFL Division 1!
There's nobody making a drama out of it only yourself.

ONeill

Will finish:

Dublin   
Kerry                     
Mayo   
Galway                  
Kildare
Tyrone                     
Monaghan                     
Donegal                  

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2018, 09:34:56 PM
Will finish:

Dublin   
Kerry                     
Mayo   
Galway                  
Kildare
Tyrone                     
Monaghan                     
Donegal

So after Dublin you rate the Provinces in the following order?

Munster
Connacht
Leinster
Ulster

cornetto

Looking at the fixtures,as a galwayman I would realistically say we have a chance of 4pts and even that would be hard achieved.
Hope I am proven wrong

Division 1 Fixtures Sat 27.01.2018
Dublin v Kildare, Croke Park, 7.0

Sun 28.01.2018

Kerry v Donegal, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, 2.0
Monaghan v Mayo, Clones, 2.0
Galway v Tyrone, Pearse Stadium, Salthill, 2.30

Sat 03.02.2018
Mayo v Kerry, Elverys MacHale Park, Castlebar, 7.0
Tyrone v Dublin, Omagh, 7.0

Sun 04.02.2018
Kildare v Monaghan, Newbridge, 2.0