Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Good points O Neill and I can't argue too much with any of that. I'd be delighted if Wenger came to Newcastle though. I'd say Mike Ashley would be a fan of Arsene's ecnomics. It'll be interesting to see how much transfer business Arsenal do under the new manager. The board have always maintained that the money was available for big transfers.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 21, 2014, 10:07:26 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on April 21, 2014, 06:11:07 AM
Fair enough lads, Liverpool have had their fair share. Hopefully they'll finish the job and they'll be very deserving champions if they do.

I just wanted to make the point about Wenger and how Arsenal, if Ramsey in particular hadn't gotten injured, would probably still be in contention. Arsenal definitely need to strengthen their squad, but getting rid of Wenger(if it could be avoided) might be a huge mistake.

The same probably would have been said of Moyes when he left Everton. But Martinez has bred new life and ambition into Everton as well as good football.

Good football or not Everton are still looking in the window and remain built on the quick-sand of loaned players and players eyeing up transfers to real contenders. They are exactly where Moyes had them for most of his reign.

Wenger isn't just some manager, he remains one of the very best managers in the world and one who has done more with less than any of the teams he's been competing with. The correlation between him and Moyes is small at best.

Asal Mor

Big result for Arsenal today. Strong favorites for 4th now.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Win tomorrow night and it's St Totteringham's Day in April for the first time in a few years.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mikepitt/tothistory.html

trileacman

That's gas, enjoyed reading that.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on April 21, 2014, 10:41:50 PM
http://transferleague.co.uk/data/team/team-53.htm

This says a lot about Wenger's attitude to ruining a sustainable business. There's definitely something admirable about that. I'm sure the owners are delighted.

However, I don't really care that much. I'd rather watch 40m Suarez to free-transfer Chamakh.
Well the people that have to take responsibility for debts for do care about running up a GBP 1bn debt.
Anyway,  Wenger does share your desire to see Suarez in an Arsenal shirt  for GBP40m,  didn't he try to sign him and didn't Suarez want to come?
The thing is Wenger use to spot those Arsenal type players like Suarez and Sanchez before they became mega expensive, before they left Ajax and Udinese respectively, at a time when they were already the outstanding prospects for the top.
Wenger is without doubt the outstanding coach of the modern era, a 20 year period  since some % of satellite subscriber money found its way to clubs' coffers to the present day. Possibly Arsenal will get someone who can lace Wenger's boots and after some years build a squad with enough depth to seriously challenge for the title, but chances are they won't, they will probably run through a few managerial stints with moderate results.

All will become clear soon enough because all the signs are that Wenger is considering to move on, probably next season.

Dinny Breen

Happy St Totteringhams Day  ;D
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

T Fearon

Yes,good to see Arsenal qualify for Champions League where they will reach their absolute pinnacle- elimination at last 16 stage once more. Same old,same old

Billys Boots

Still better than your same old, same old.  Happy St. Totteringham's Day to you, Tony.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: muppet on May 01, 2014, 01:08:10 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10784226/Tottenham-tried-to-insert-clause-in-Gareth-Bale-contract-with-Real-Madrid-preventing-Mesut-Ozil-joining-Arsenal.html

Misleading headline is misleading
QuoteSpurs did not specifically attempt to stop Ozil from joining Arsenal, although they were aware that it was possible once the Bale deal was agreed, but just wanted to stop him coming to England if he did not join them
Hasta la victoria siempre

Dinny Breen

Another year another trophy.  8)
#newbridgeornowhere