Roscommon V Sligo CSFC

Started by SLIGONIAN, June 05, 2007, 11:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

Spot on Sligoman2. It sounds though as ye should have won by a lot more. Hope ye go all the way now.

Fishead_Sam

Last I heard it was Roscommon by 3, who won in the end & what was the Final Score?

Owenmoresider

0-13 to 2-5 fishhead. Outscored Ros 9-1 in the last half hour. I suppose that sums the game up really. A good display in the second half, considering the wastefulness of the first, we did kick a lot of wides in either half, which should have been converted. Davey responsible for a good few of those. Had Curran down for MOTM myself, but McGovern was deserving of it all the same. The team had serious workrate and desire to win the ball, which Ros didn't match in that secod half. O'Hara and Quinn performed well at MF, Breheny got his share of points, and the FB line had a solid display. The forwards were so-so - Marren and Gallagher poor, Kelly again getting the ball fine, didn't do much with it. McPartland and Sweeney both made decent contributions when brought on, though Johnny Mc did kick some poor efforts at the same time.

Connacht Final now - probably Galway, probably in Castlebar. Revenge for 2002 would be nice. We're there anyway, hasn't been very often we could talk about a Connacht Final appearance around these parts. Roll on July 8th!

Barney

Fair play to Sligo. I hope Eamon O'Hara gets his deserved Connacht medal but it is hard to see that happen.

Can't believe that Ros only put up 2-5 in a home championshp game, and collapsed as they did against Leitrim in the league. Maughan will be lynched I guess unless they get a decent run in the qualifiers but he has made it clear before that they do not interest him.

Mano

Good performance and a great result yesterday which sets us up nicely for a tilt at the Connaught final. Plenty of improvement will need to be found over the next few weeks especially in front of goal. We also need some scores from our full forward line. Hard to believe we scored 13 points and none of 3 starting full forwards scored. Marren i thought was a little unlucky to be hauled off so soon into the game but the full forward line was just too small and he paid the price for a woeful high pass to Kelly.
O'Hara as i heard in midweek was fit and raring to go-his injury (was in groin, knee or hamstring) was overstated in the media and he was flying into tackles from early on. Sligonian will be eating humble pie on Quinn shortly-he caught 3 in the middle, blocked and harried and scored a point. You can't ask much more from a midfielder. Half forwards and half backs were superb. Davey scored 2 points but kicked 6 wides. He also was indirectly responsible for the 1st Roscommon goal by not running onto the ball but had a good game. Overall still a big improvement for the next day but it can be done

mannix

"the 3 men on th fullforward line did not score"  its a false dawn lads.If you have a ff line that cannot score you will shortly meet reality,galway.
Still, good luck.

Mano

Hopefully it will be sorted for Connaught final in a months time against either Leitrim or Galway. Thinking a bit ahead of yourself there Mannix but realistically there should be only one winner from that one.

Ryano

Congrats to Sligo on a fully deserved and well won victory. I really hope you go on and win the final, you certainly have nothing to fear from either Galway or Leitrim going on yesterdays performance. I would not be surprised if its Leitrim you have to play. I don't think Galway are as good as that Mayo performance would lead you to believe. It had more to do with who they were playing then how good they are and it will be hard for them to be as motivated or replicate that level of intensity next Sunday.

Congrats again lads.

magpie seanie

A good result and a good performance but plenty to work on. We really made it hard on ourselves and I was thinking with 5 minutes to go that if we didn't win it I'd cry. Curran was man of the match for me as well - did they give it to McGovern? McGovern played very well too. Full back line solid as ever though they did have trouble at times with Roscommon's pace. Half backs and half forwards did well on breaks, Curran especially. Midfield dominated for the most part. O'Hara - well what can you say about him. Unreal. Had O'Neill in his pocket all day. Quinner did his job well too. Took a great catch at the death as well as a few others. Worked his nuts off too. Need I say any more? Breheny took the scoring honours, one or two of them savage efforts altogether. Kelly worked hard to provide an outlet for the ball up front. Our subs did well when introduced and this was telling as we felt it would be earlier in the week.

On the down side the centre back situation is still up for debate. I don't think it went great yesterday. Was very disappointed with Marren's actions (threw the jersey to Kent) when taken off. He might have felt hard done by but that's something that I just don't like. Getting scores from the FF line is also an issue but one I believe we can and will address for the next day.

So a third Connacht final in 10 years. Third time lucky?

Rossie11

Well done to Sligo. Outfought and out thought Ross all over the pitch.
O Hara had a storming 2nd half and was it not for some wayward shooting the game would have been closed out a lot earlier.
We were a shambles. Didnt have the heart for the fight and scoring 5 points in 70minutes is a woeful stat.

We wont have a run in qualifiers and are looking at been on the end of a right hammering by whoever we get.
If it quickens the departure of that idiot Maughan then it will be worth it.

Hardy

Rossfan

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 18, 2007, 09:59:37 AM
Well done to Sligo. Outfought and out thought Ross all over the pitch.
We were a shambles. Didnt have the heart for the fight and scoring 5 points in 70minutes is a woeful stat.

We wont have a run in qualifiers and are looking at been on the end of a right hammering by whoever we get.
If it quickens the departure of that idiot Maughan then it will be worth it.

Couldnt agree more on all counts. We were simply woeful - a team mentally and physically unprepared for Championship Football.
If this is what 2 years of Maughanism brings lets end it fast.
What a waste of €1m since November 2005.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Well done to Sligo. Looked like a good win from what I saw of the game. Roscommon looked dreadful but Sligo certainly finished very strongly. Some nice scores in the second half.

Have to say that purely from a personal perspective I was hoping for a Rossie win as the final would have been in Pearse Stadium. Heading down to Ennis for the hurling the day before the Connacht final and now will probably have to head to Castlebar the following day for the football (if we get past Leitrim). More travelling than I was hoping for. ;D

SLIGONIAN

Well done Sligo. :D Some courage shown when 6pts down.  Have to start by saying how impressed I was with K Quinn..He caught great ball and his passing was outstanding he always gives it everyhting but showed great leadership last Sunday..He was the first man I went to on the pitch to congrat.. Curran was outstanding 3pts from play and Mcgovern too...Ohara showed how great he is..showed oneill up.. Thought mcguire did well and brehony and s davey were ok.. Sweeney has to start the next day and maybe mcpartland too. Alot of what I said was right too except my view on Quinn who I am delighted proved me wrong. McNamara is not a defencive player.

My connaght final team is GREENE DONOVAN (who has to mark meehan if Galway) MCGUIRE HARRISON(heneghan turned him too easy on sunday) J DAVEY MARTYN(has to start or maybe phillips) MCGOVERN OHARA QUINN CURRAN BREHONY DAVEY KELLY SWEENEY MCNAMARA

People forget mcnamara was probably our best forward in 2004 in the corner..We have too many good backs on the bench push macca up the forwards where we are weak..Gallagher and marren arent good enough in championship..simple... Brehony did ok on the line although I predicted the changes well before they happened. and would of brought on sweeney first. All in all happy enough..need plenty of shooting practice in training.

How many sunshines in Sligo? Poor crowd sunday but fair play to those who were there.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Redgreenery

Best of Luck to Sligo in the Connaught final!!! Good enough second half!! Well done!