Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: mb80b60 on March 24, 2015, 09:31:39 AM
Quote from: North Man on March 12, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
Obtained planning permission for a new house.
Considering a log burner for the heating with the renewable heat incentive now available in the North.
Have anyone any opinion on same, or what other form of heating system would be recommended.

Do you have any more details on this North Man?

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/information-and-services/environment-and-greener-living/energy-wise/energy-saving-grants.htm

WaterBoy

Quote from: North Man on March 12, 2015, 10:18:39 PM
Obtained planning permission for a new house.
Considering a log burner for the heating with the renewable heat incentive now available in the North.
Have anyone any opinion on same, or what other form of heating system would be recommended.

Same stage as yourself North Man and considering a wood pellet burner.  The proposed house is story and a half, 2500 sq ft. I sent a copy of my plans to a Renewable Energy company and they gave me a quote of around £5500 for the burner including installation and labour. They done a calculation and estimate that I would get around £900 a year back through RHI for 7 years, plus you get a payment of £2,500 through RHI when the boiler is commissioned.  You would need a garage/shed to house the burner, so if you weren't planning on building one with the house you would have to factor that into the cost as well.

If the RHI calculations I was given are near the mark it seems to make sense financially, and you would think that even after 7 years when the RHI payments stop that you would still be saving as wood pellets are likely to be cheaper than oil, although there isn't much difference in price between the two at the minute.

The main concern I have is the operation of the burner itself, there is a bit more maintenance in them than an oil burner as you have to load them with Bags of pellets and clean them regularly (empty the ash).  That wouldn't be a big deal but from looking online some people were complaining that they had constant issues with the burner and as they aren't as common as oil burners it can cost a fortune to get someone to repair them  http://blog.greenwisebusiness.co.uk/2013/04/10-things-your-installer-wont-tell-you-before-you-purchase-a-biomass-boiler/

So I guess I'm asking the same question, does anybody have any experience of wood pellet burners or know anybody who has one and would be able to advise on whether they are worth it?         
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

Hereiam

A friend of mine has one in on the same scheme. The pellet boiler has give him trouble about 5 times this winter, from sensors failing to not firing up. The last load of pellets were pure dirt and had to be replaced but Balcas would not refund the full amount. He has also has not received any money yet for the cost of the pellets.

I would say to people it may sound an attractive offer with the payment for 7 years but bear in mind that governments change and I have heard talk of this payment been reduced.

wanderer

Has anyone bought there windows or other materials from abroad? I was chatting someone who was off the opinion that would save 40-60% on the price of windows if you bought from Scandinavian countries or Germany, and there were to a higher insulation standard due to the weather

WaterBoy

Quote from: Hereiam on March 30, 2015, 09:46:30 AM
A friend of mine has one in on the same scheme. The pellet boiler has give him trouble about 5 times this winter, from sensors failing to not firing up. The last load of pellets were pure dirt and had to be replaced but Balcas would not refund the full amount. He has also has not received any money yet for the cost of the pellets.

I would say to people it may sound an attractive offer with the payment for 7 years but bear in mind that governments change and I have heard talk of this payment been reduced.

Do you know what company he went through to buy/install the boiler or what the make of the boiler is?  The reliability and performance of the boiler would be my main concern about going down the biomass route
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

blewuporstuffed

What are the typical costs to get water / electric connected to a rural site in the north?
Or does it vary wildly?
Anyone have a ball park figure?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hereiam

Depends how close the nearest supply is to the site.
If you need to put poles in or bury a lot of cable for the electric then this can increase the cost.
Same with the water if you have to go under the road to get to the mains then this will add cost.

If everything is close by then
water - £300 approx.
Electric- £600.00 - £1200.00
You normally make an application to NIE and they will call out and then send you a quote based on what they come across.

Of course if you know the right people it could cost very little  :P

oakleafgael

The minimum charge for a water connection nowadays is in the region of 800 quid. If it has to come across the road it will be 1200 quid plus. Nie is really a how long is a piece of string question.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: oakleafgael on April 22, 2015, 10:59:01 PM
The minimum charge for a water connection nowadays is in the region of 800 quid. If it has to come across the road it will be 1200 quid plus. Nie is really a how long is a piece of string question.

Well In tems of how handy things are, there are no electric poles along the road, but there is a new-ish house about 150 metres up the road on the same side.
The site is reasonably close to the roadside.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

oakleafgael

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 23, 2015, 08:06:42 AM

Well In tems of how handy things are, there are no electric poles along the road, but there is a new-ish house about 150 metres up the road on the same side.

Ask the owner of the new house how much they paid. If they had to pay a large connection charge to allow for poles and a transformer etc and the line is then extended over to you, NIE will give him a rebate that you will be liable for.

balladmaker

Looking at putting down an asphalt driveway, any suitable recommendations for contractors in the Co. Armagh area, and does anyone have an idea of a rough cost /sq m for asphalt?  Thanks.

Hereiam

Getting to be a bit of an expert in this area with the problems I am having on a job.

Asphalt is in and around £20 /sq.m

LeoMc

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 22, 2015, 10:00:52 AM
What are the typical costs to get water / electric connected to a rural site in the north?
Or does it vary wildly?
Anyone have a ball park figure?
For Electric, see page 39 of this schedule.

http://www.nie.co.uk/documents/Connections/NIE-Distribution-Connection-Charging-Statement-Oct.aspx

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: oakleafgael on April 23, 2015, 11:02:44 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 23, 2015, 08:06:42 AM

A similar question then in terms of phone connection?
Is this something BT do free of charge or for a set fee or is it dependant on distance etc

Ask the owner of the new house how much they paid. If they had to pay a large connection charge to allow for poles and a transformer etc and the line is then extended over to you, NIE will give him a rebate that you will be liable for.

muppet

MWWSI 2017