The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Would money be seen as a factor in the failure to land Werner? With no income from fans attending Anfield from the end of this season extending into next season, is transfer money now scarce at Liverpool?

thewobbler

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 04, 2020, 10:17:04 PM
Course they would. Check out some of their benches in the past when ye get a minute.
Wouldve got plenty playing time next year with Afcon being on and with injuries/rotation then strong chance at least one of the main 3 moved the next year

Okay I'll rephrase.

Big clubs have been known to have a stock of promising young forwards, and of star forwards reaching the end of their careers.

How many clubs have managed to convince a golden boy, first choice international, entering peak years forward from one of footballs elite countries, to join without a guaranteed starting role?

That might sound like a narrow agenda. But you surely only shop for world class, peak years forwards, when they're walking straight into the team.

"Aye Timo, you'll be in during Afcon and if it goes well we might sell one of those lads you can't displace from the team, to make sure you get a game next year"

quit yo jibbajabba

Also rotation. Also injuries. Also if you listen to any of his interviews recently it was obvious he wanted to come so you might want to run this past him.
Man city are a pretty good example of what goes on nowadays. Be hard to pick a first choice front 3 when all available, likes of mahrez and jesus get plenty of playing time

Armamike

Quote from: thewobbler on June 04, 2020, 10:37:55 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 04, 2020, 10:17:04 PM
Course they would. Check out some of their benches in the past when ye get a minute.
Wouldve got plenty playing time next year with Afcon being on and with injuries/rotation then strong chance at least one of the main 3 moved the next year

Okay I'll rephrase.

Big clubs have been known to have a stock of promising young forwards, and of star forwards reaching the end of their careers.

How many clubs have managed to convince a golden boy, first choice international, entering peak years forward from one of footballs elite countries, to join without a guaranteed starting role?

That might sound like a narrow agenda. But you surely only shop for world class, peak years forwards, when they're walking straight into the team.

"Aye Timo, you'll be in during Afcon and if it goes well we might sell one of those lads you can't displace from the team, to make sure you get a game next year"

Liverpool cooled their interest in Werner, for whatever reason (perhaps financial and perhaps they don't need him as much as the likes of Chelsea).  Liverpool never made a bid for Werner, so it's not a case of Werner snubbing Liverpool for Chelsea. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Boycey

Haven't seen much of Werner but if his ego was big enough and his talent right he should have been looking at Liverpool and saying yeah I'm good enough to be the man there. Let the other guys worry about me not the other way round. 

Armamike

Quote from: Boycey on June 04, 2020, 11:15:40 PM
Haven't seen much of Werner but if his ego was big enough and his talent right he should have been looking at Liverpool and saying yeah I'm good enough to be the man there. Let the other guys worry about me not the other way round.

Exactly.  Injuries, form, rotation etc.  If you're good enough you grab your chance and keep your place.  Hard to know, but it seems that Liverpool was his preference. Liverpool didn't make their move.

thewobbler

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on June 04, 2020, 11:04:18 PM
Also rotation. Also injuries. Also if you listen to any of his interviews recently it was obvious he wanted to come so you might want to run this past him.
Man city are a pretty good example of what goes on nowadays. Be hard to pick a first choice front 3 when all available, likes of mahrez and jesus get plenty of playing time

It's not the same thing, even if you recognise it as the way it should be. A better comparison would be why Spurs never have a back up no.9, let  alone a top class back-up no.9. Kane might be injured half the season every season, but no matter who comes in, will be watching football when Harry is fit.

City have never had a settled forward line since the billions arrived, so anyone joining the club knows they're both part of a rotation, and will have a chance to mark themselves out as clear first choice. It's an even playing field.

City also tend to pick up 19-20 year olds (rather than established "worldies") to give them that depth. Admittedly they spend extraordinary money on this potential, but it's still potential over end product.

Werner might like the idea of Liverpool. But I'd expect these things have been ringing in his ears.

Milltown Row2

You can't underestimate the power and pull of London. It's been the deciding factor on a lot of transfers in the past.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

200k a week also which pool were nowhere near. I still maintain he was Liverpools if theyd met the release clause but anyway

Wobbler i get a lot of what youre saying (just disagree lol) spurs squeezed as much as they could out of Kane for a season or two but now hes injury riddled and Spurs reluctance to spend has cost them. Pool have by and large been lucky with injuries with the front 3 and fans have been anticipating this wouldnt continue hence the need for additions.

Im away to bed. Werner will be a red when i wake 😃😉

Capt Pat

Sky news website says Werner to Chelsea is a done deal. Liverpool did not want to make a move for him in the current climate. Liverpool may have wanted to get rid of Firmino,Mane or Salah but could not get a good price for them in the current climate.

supersub

London, money, first team football guaranteed. Hardly surprising

J70

According to The Athletic article (presumably James Pearce's input), Klopp had been keeping in touch with Werner, but when he went to FSG recently he was told "no" (finance, income) and that was that, as Leipzig wanted to sell for financial fair play.
Its a shame, as by all accounts he has the makings of a top, top, player.
Chelsea, with the lad coming in from Ajax too, are putting together a nice team.

Armamike

It seems Chelsea were the only ones willing to meet the release clause. The lad had few options.  I very much doubt Chelsea was top of his list.  Very good player as he is, but the top clubs of Europe weren't making a move. Coronavirus has changed the football landscape and clubs aren't willing to outlay that kind of money at the moment.  Chelsea had funds left over from the Hazard deal and a lack of transfer spend the past few windows. Chelsea will need to invest a bit more in the other end of the pitch before they're transformed.

Capt Pat

It is still disappointing that Liverpool didn't go for Werner. He is a 90 million pound player for 50 million. I know things are uncertain now but that uncertainty will be gone in a year or two and he could be shipped on at a healthy profit if that is what you wanted.

GiveItToTheShooters

I don't buy the whole coronavirus excuse. Liverpool haven't spent big in recent transfer windows and have won quite a lot of prize money lately and will do again after this season. They have as much money as they have ever had and they could afford any player if they really wanted them, and its clear if Klopp wanted him then Klopp would've got him so there must be a deeper reason for not signing him. I would think that breaking their wage structure to make a player who wouldn't be a guaranteed starter our joint highest paid player is a lot to do with it. That would set a dangerous precedent.