Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

No disrespect to Sean Parr good player maybe should have got a run with Down but that's as far as it goes.
We are always quick to build people up when they are going well.Its intermediate football and Rostrevor have not really set the world alight this 10 years
Yes Sean is a good player but with complete respect to him we have lots of them in Down
Would he make the current Down team?

supersub

Quote from: Smurfy123 on November 15, 2017, 08:43:10 AM
No disrespect to Sean Parr good player maybe should have got a run with Down but that's as far as it goes.
We are always quick to build people up when they are going well.Its intermediate football and Rostrevor have not really set the world alight this 10 years
Yes Sean is a good player but with complete respect to him we have lots of them in Down
Would he make the current Down team?

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Intermediate or Senior he is and has been the stand out player for Rostrevor over the ten years you speak of. Class, composure and quality in any position he plays. He would be good enough to hold a place on any Down team from the last ten years. It has been his choice not to take the option of County football.

Moy are heavy favourites for the final as some bookmakers have made it clear! An Gaeltacht must be some outfit also as they are odds on for the Intermediate All Ireland.

gaaman2016

Ulster and All Ireland Intermediate is a funny one

In 2015 we won our first three match's at a canter and in the final we won on a scoreline of 4-01 to 0-10. We finished 2nd in Division 2 that year and most of the teams we played would have been Division 2 teams aswell. At that stage we had 16 team  divisions but some of the teams we played only had 8 in a division. In terms of league position we were the 18th best team in Down but in other counties, the team we were playing were 9/10th in their respective county

When we got through to the All Ireland Final, the team we played from Mayo had finished 2nd in Division 1 and from a physical point of view where a completely different animal to anything we faced in Ulster where apart from the Ulster final (which was played in horrible conditions in Owenbeg) we tore every team to shreds by at least 10 points.

We lost by 5 from what I recall and the Mayo team then got well beat by the Kerry team a couple of weeks later.

If the Mayo team that beat us was in Down, I would say they would have easily have been a top 4 side

Down Follower

Quote from: gaaman2016 on November 15, 2017, 09:15:19 AM
Ulster and All Ireland Intermediate is a funny one

In 2015 we won our first three match's at a canter and in the final we won on a scoreline of 4-01 to 0-10. We finished 2nd in Division 2 that year and most of the teams we played would have been Division 2 teams aswell. At that stage we had 16 team  divisions but some of the teams we played only had 8 in a division. In terms of league position we were the 18th best team in Down but in other counties, the team we were playing were 9/10th in their respective county

When we got through to the All Ireland Final, the team we played from Mayo had finished 2nd in Division 1 and from a physical point of view where a completely different animal to anything we faced in Ulster where apart from the Ulster final (which was played in horrible conditions in Owenbeg) we tore every team to shreds by at least 10 points.

We lost by 5 from what I recall and the Mayo team then got well beat by the Kerry team a couple of weeks later.

If the Mayo team that beat us was in Down, I would say they would have easily have been a top 4 side

Every county seems to have their own take on Senior v Intermediate.  This is shown by the Rostrevor v Milford game.  Rostrevor finished 2nd in Div 2, effectively ranked 14 in Down, but were intermediate by finishing 4th in Div 2 last year, while Milford finished 8th in Div 1 in Donegal this year after getting promoted last year.  They would have been in senior championship in Down this year.

elk

I personally don't think this Rostrevor team is as strong as Warrenpoint 2014 and Loughisland 2015 and Moy will be a mighty obstacle for them to overcome but hopefully I'm wrong and they win Ulster for starters.

downjim

"I'm really looking forward to the Ulster intermediate final" said no man ever.

Rodders88

Downjim, wind your neck in. Rostrevor getting to the Ulster Intermediate Final is a big thing for their club, everyone in Down should get behind them, fingers crossed they win it and hopefully give the All-Ireland a rattle.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: downjim on November 15, 2017, 12:37:54 PM
"I'm really looking forward to the Ulster intermediate final" said no man ever.

Still searching for the missing testicles in Burren Jim???

Closest Burren will get to Ulster Club finals will be making Breakfast for those Slaughneil boys every other year.

outinfront

Clown.  What a pompous attitude.

Targetman

Ciaran McKeever part of the Bridge coaching staff for next season

downjim

That's more rows for the Bridge then.

Thanks Mark Poland for a your service to Down.

SHEEDY

mark poland has retired from the county scene. great servant to Down football, 2010 being the high point especially the game against kerry.
nil satis nisi optimum

Targetman

Congrats to Kilcoo u16's who beat Carrickmore to reach the final of the Paul Mc Girr tournament, I don't think it was the free flowing and high scoring game the Irish news predicted, h-t score was 2-2, anyway Crossmaglen in the final!!

downjim

Hopefully they can do better than their seniors in an Ulster final.

Brick Tamlin

Ahhhh Jim, the gift that keep giving.
Let me get this right.
Youre a Burren man and youre trying to take potshots at Kilcoo teams.
Really.