Premier League 20/21

Started by Hereiam, August 05, 2020, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

The sound of the clash was bad, and that was with the crowd noise on! 
That's just, like your opinion man.

laoislad

So what length of a ban do we expect Cavani to get?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

nrico2006

Is the whole thing nowadays that you are meant to respect peoples cultures, religions etc.  Therefore, Cavani should be getting no ban.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Armamike

Man U using the same argument to defend Cavani as Liverpool did with Suarez. Suarez got 8 matches.
That's just, like your opinion man.

OgraAnDun

Bit of a difference between calling a black french man "negro" in an argument in a heated derby encounter compared to saying "thanks negrito" to a fellow countryman when he congratulates you on Instagram. Context is everything.

laoislad

Bernardo Silva received a one game ban and a fine for his tweet, so if they are to be consistent on these matters then Cavani should be getting the same.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 30, 2020, 12:03:01 PM
Bit of a difference between calling a black french man "negro" in an argument in a heated derby encounter compared to saying "thanks negrito" to a fellow countryman when he congratulates you on Instagram. Context is everything.

Suarez used the term "negrito".

Not saying Cavani did anything wrong.

BennyCake

Get Fergal Logan on the case.

OgraAnDun

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/jan/01/fa-report-luis-suarez-patrice-evra

Mr Evra's evidence was that, in response to his question "Why did you kick me?", Mr Suárez replied "Porque tu eres negro". Mr Evra said that at the time Mr Suárez made that comment, he (Mr Evra) understood it to mean "Because you are a nigger". He now says that he believes the words used by Mr Suárez mean "Because you are black". We shall consider further below Mr Evra's understanding of the Spanish word "negro".

"Why did you kick me?"
'Because you're Black' (porque eres negro)

Not "sorry, negrito, I didn't mean to"

Again, context is everything.

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2020, 12:24:20 PM

J70

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 30, 2020, 12:39:37 PM
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/jan/01/fa-report-luis-suarez-patrice-evra

Mr Evra's evidence was that, in response to his question "Why did you kick me?", Mr Suárez replied "Porque tu eres negro". Mr Evra said that at the time Mr Suárez made that comment, he (Mr Evra) understood it to mean "Because you are a nigger". He now says that he believes the words used by Mr Suárez mean "Because you are black". We shall consider further below Mr Evra's understanding of the Spanish word "negro".

"Why did you kick me?"

Yes, you appear to be right on the "negro", not "negrito" thing, although they seem to be pretty much the same thing in their dialect.

I didn't argue the context. Clearly they're different.

Its just the cultural/language issue was dismissed as irrelevant or even bullshit by a lot of people back then.

Jeepers Creepers

The FA's case, in short, was as follows. In the goalmouth, Mr Evra and Mr Suarez spoke to
each other in Spanish. Mr Evra asked Mr Suarez why he had kicked him, referring to the
foul five minutes previously. Mr Suarez replied "Porque tu eres negro", meaning "Because
you are black". Mr Evra then said to Mr Suarez "say it to me again, I'm going to punch
you". Mr Suarez replied "No hablo con los negros", meaning "I don't speak to blacks". Mr
Evra continued by saying that he now thought he was going to punch Mr Suarez. Mr
Suarez replied "Dale, negro, negro, negro", which meant "okay, blackie, blackie, blackie".
As Mr Suarez said this, he reached out to touch Mr Evra's arm, gesturing at his skin. Mr
Kuyt then intervened. When the referee blew his whistle and called the players over to
him shortly after the exchanges in the goalmouth, Mr Evra said to the referee "ref, ref, he
just called me a f**king black".

OgraAnDun

Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2020, 01:11:45 PM

"Why did you kick me?"

Yes, you appear to be right on the "negro", not "negrito" thing, although they seem to be pretty much the same thing in their dialect.

Its just the cultural/language issue was dismissed as irrelevant or even bullshit by a lot of people back then.

I get what you're saying but I don't think the cultural issue can be used for Suarez - he was speaking to a French rival in a heated situation... If they'd been having a friendly chat after the game then that could be a reasonable excuse for Suarez but not shouting "go for it/ok black boy".

BennyCake

I wonder how the t-shirts will look.

J70

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 30, 2020, 02:05:40 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 30, 2020, 01:11:45 PM

"Why did you kick me?"

I get what you're saying but I don't think the cultural issue can be used for Suarez - he was speaking to a French rival in a heated situation... If they'd been having a friendly chat after the game then that could be a reasonable excuse for Suarez but not shouting "go for it/ok black boy".

Yes, fair enough.

Captain Obvious

Big result for Scott Parkers Fulham tonight.

FA Cup 3rd round draw.

1 Huddersfield Town v Plymouth Argyle
2 Southampton v Shrewsbury Town
3 Chorley v Derby County
4 Marine v Tottenham Hotspur
5 Wolverhampton Wanderers v Crystal Palace
6 Stockport County v West Ham United
7 Oldham Athletic v AFC Bournemouth
8 Manchester United v Watford
9 Stevenage v Swansea City
10 Everton v Rotherham United
11 Nottingham Forest v Cardiff City