Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

i wonder who's fault that will be. Surely he couldnt blame his own goalie !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AZOffaly

What a game. Say what you like about the Arsenal, but they are some entertainment, on both ends of the field. I can't imagine being a fan though.

ross4life

One of the games of the season! both sides going for the win & it could indeed finish 5-5
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2011, 09:20:34 PM
What a game. Say what you like about the Arsenal, but they are some entertainment, on both ends of the field. I can't imagine being a fan though.

any fans who are in their forties or over with dodgy tickers must go through the mill in 90 minutes watching them !
are you still with us muppet old mate ?

screenexile

Fecking Ray Wilkins... last week it was "stay on your feet" and this week it's "stand up" I can't listen to much more of this so I may turn off the volume! Some game though!!!!

AZOffaly

Is that Clive Allen on the Spurs bench? He was a good one. Remember that season in 1987 (I think) when he score 49 goals or something like that?

ross4life

Quote from: screenexile on April 20, 2011, 09:26:46 PM
Fecking Ray Wilkins... last week it was "stay on your feet" and this week it's "stand up" I can't listen to much more of this so I may turn off the volume! Some game though!!!!

Aye but not easy for "Crouchie" to stand up.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ONeill

Chelsea right back in it. They beat Utd, Arsenal turn over Utd and it's some final day of the season.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Gs Man

Spurs should have won there tonight!!  ???
Keep 'er lit

Dinny Breen

In fairness I thought that was a good effort from the Goons and a draw was a fair result. Spurs looked fresher at the end, great away record this season, RVP was on-side for the disallowed goal but it looked Gomes had stopped.

And you have idiots on here whinging about Wenger (non Arsenal fans), they don't know how good they have it with him around, where would you get entertainment like that.....if the EPL was a soap opera Wenger would be Bet Lynch....
#newbridgeornowhere

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 20, 2011, 09:52:33 PM
In fairness I thought that was a good effort from the Goons and a draw was a fair result. Spurs looked fresher at the end, great away record this season, RVP was on-side for the disallowed goal but it looked Gomes had stopped.

And you have idiots on here whinging about Wenger (non Arsenal fans), they don't know how good they have it with him around, where would you get entertainment like that.....if the EPL was a soap opera Wenger would be Bet Lynch....

tits wouldn't be as big

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on April 20, 2011, 09:47:26 PM
Chelsea right back in it. They beat Utd, Arsenal turn over Utd and it's some final day of the season.

Yep not so long ago Chelsea were 15 pts behind United (now only 6).. i always fancied Chelsea to finish ahead of Arsenal & it looks very likely now.

under the bar

QuoteYep not so long ago Chelsea were 15 pts behind United (now only 6)..

Yes  but they always had a game or two in hand.

Bingo

1-0 up at Sunderland - Bent equalises in the 95th minute = 2 points dropped
2-0 up v Spurs at HT - lose 3-2 = 3 points dropped
2-1 up at Wigan (down to 10 men) - own goal with 9 mins left brings it back to 2-2 = 2 points dropped
4-0 up at HT v Newcastle - somehow let it slip to 4-4 = 2 points dropped
1-0 up v Liverpool in the 98th minute - give away a pen = 2 points dropped
3-1 up v Spurs just before HT, let it back to 3-3 = 2 points dropped

I know all teams lose leads but this is amazing stats for Arsenals season, ignoring the League cup final as well. It also ignores a couple of poor 0-0 at home results.

Dinny Breen

If you look at that is isiolation and when you add in all the decisions that went in Man Uniteds favour it's easy to see why Wenger should be placed on suicide watch as Aresnal could conceivably be 10 points clear at the top. But that is the vagaries of sport and impossible to rationalise, for example if Arsenal had won at Sunderland the dynamic of their whole season probably would have changed and none of the subsequent results would have stayed the same, they might have won a couple more but could have lost some tight ones as well.

In essence in sport nothing is black and white and in EPL terms all that matters is the final league table and this season a team epitomising the concept 'sum of the whole is greater than the parts' will win the league. A young side like Arsenal should look and learn from that alas I wouldn't put money on it.
#newbridgeornowhere