Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 17, 2011, 08:15:40 PM
Dinny, O'Neill et al, 6 years, no trophies and let's face it no real sense that they can close the gap to the top, has Wenger maybe gone as far as he can? Seriously doubt any other manager in the top 6 would last that long and while he is not necessarily a big spender, he still has spent a fair bit of money.  Maybe time to get a fresh face, Pep will be free and I reckon could do something with Arsenal.

I think Exiled Gael has touched the crux of the issue not necessarily his transfer policy but his overall policy. He'll argue that he has closed the gap, in all inevitability with the pressure off Arsenal will finish 2nd (important in its self in that it allows for a longer off-season and reduces the work-load by 2 games). But we have spoken about it on this thread before the history of Arsenal football generally shows a great loyalty to managers and Arsenal have always won trophies in clusters, a couple or so every decade. What I expect from Arsenal FC is a good attitude on and off the pitch and I think that the last couple of seasons Arsenal's attitdue on the pitch hasn't been good enough and there is a distinct lack of leadership. Wenger is at fault here as this is the culture he has created by selling experience and trusting youth.

Personally what I would like to see from Wenger is an acceptance that his 'project' has failed, impossible to keep up with Manchester and Chelsea by putting your faith in youth and youth alone.  Pep who is a disciple of Wenger, did the overseas component of his UEFA badges at Arsenal, would be an alternative one of the few but as it stands Wenger isn't a million miles away and deserves a chance to make the personnel changes that could make it happen.

It's very frustrating and playing at home in from of nervous fans can not be good for the mental side of any young footballer, they were like deer in headlights during those closing minutes.  Arsenal need someone like Fellani in midfield and a Drogba up front, TV will provide leadership in the defence, so a midfield enforcer, an experience top striker and a couple of utility players ala Park and Fletcher for Man United.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Dinny, awfully pissed off after that. Forget winning the league or pressurising Utd, that match is the new nadir for that squad. f**king Eboue.

From the first minute to the 97th, Arsenal played no more like a team going for the title than Barnet. It has been like that since the CC final in Feb. f**king Eboue.

Then they get a stroke of luck. Van Persie, who did feck all beforehand, celebrates as if he has rescued the side. Any other team would have being thinking, 'right, just get the ball into the corner and run down the clock'. Arsenal feck about, give away a dangerous free and then, f**king Eboue.

It's not Eboue's fault. It's not Almunia's fault. Wenger picks them. I'd have Wenger as manager until he croaks it but as you say, it's time to bite the bullet and buy ready made talent.

Too many spineless, ball-lacking fruits to win anything of note. Fabregas may have looked resigned before the penalty equalizer but where was he during the game?

f**king Eboue.

Where's the plum poteen?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ballinaman

Don't blame it on Henry,
Don't blame it on the injuries,
Don't blame it on the referees,
Blame it on Eboue...

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
I'd say Wenger was fuming out of frustration - frustrated in the immediate that the ref didn't blow for full-time once the free-kick was blocker, frustrated that Arsenal couldn't hold the lead for 2 mins and and also the fact that Liverpool were time wasting towards the end but they received the benefit, always an anomaly that one. But over all I'd say deep down he knew that was the last chance, cannot see Man United dropping 7 points.

Daglish did what any sane person would do and told Wenger to piss off, doubt either manager will give it a 2nd thought.

The league final defeat has left a bad hang-over on this Arsenal side and I can't see any seeds of recovery as their form since has been very poor. They might never recover.

Aye but will he get a two match ban for swearing on tv?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 17, 2011, 09:43:10 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 17, 2011, 06:35:33 PM
I'd say Wenger was fuming out of frustration - frustrated in the immediate that the ref didn't blow for full-time once the free-kick was blocker, frustrated that Arsenal couldn't hold the lead for 2 mins and and also the fact that Liverpool were time wasting towards the end but they received the benefit, always an anomaly that one. But over all I'd say deep down he knew that was the last chance, cannot see Man United dropping 7 points.

Daglish did what any sane person would do and told Wenger to piss off, doubt either manager will give it a 2nd thought.

The league final defeat has left a bad hang-over on this Arsenal side and I can't see any seeds of recovery as their form since has been very poor. They might never recover.

Aye but will he get a two match ban for swearing on tv?

Mild swearing caught by a camera or intentionally walking up to a camera and swearing?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Is there a team more calamitious than Arsenal? The c**k-up in the CC Final. The Almunia blunders, too many to mention. Fabianski last year. Bender blocking his own player's shot. Fcuk me.

Dinny Breen

I might add I concur f**king Eboue
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

When you're sat in Row Z
and the ball hits your head
That's Eboue!

ONeill

Arsène Wenger is angry with everyone, but only Arsenal are to blame

Once again the Arsenal manager blamed everybody but himself and his players for some very familiar failings

If this truly was the day that Arsène Wenger's Premier League title dream died for another season, then the abiding images will be of the Arsenal manager towering above the three match officials at full-time, as he berated them for the award of the late penalty that brought his team to their knees.

The ironies were plentiful. Dirk Kuyt's successful penalty for Liverpool saw their bitter rivals, Manchester United, clamp one hand upon a record 19th championship win. In the directors' box, Sir Alex Ferguson might have cursed Arsenal's goal, Robin van Persie's penalty coming in the eighth minute of the time added on for Jamie Carragher's head injury. Yet Fergie-time would come back around for him. Kuyt's goal was timed at 102 minutes.

Up the road at Wembley, Stoke City, a team that Wenger has in the past derided for their "rugby tactics", stuck five goals past Bolton to set up an FA Cup final against Manchester City, another team whose ethics Wenger has questioned. One of them will enjoy a silver-lined finish to the season. Despite what Wenger perceives as Arsenal's superior brand of football, his side will surely not.

Wenger burned with a sense of injustice. For him, there was rage and frustration, a familiar cocktail in what has been a relentlessly trying season and as he lashed out at a variety of targets he projected a certain helplessness too. He lambasted the referee, Andre Marriner, not only for the penalty decision against Emmanuel Eboué but also his time-keeping. Kenny Dalglish got it as well, for having the temerity to set up his Liverpool team in a defensive vein. It was a familiar lament. Why can't visiting teams simply lay themselves open for Arsenal to take apart?

The unpalatable truth was that Arsenal had let themselves down. This was a third successive home draw in the league and with Wenger having outlined the imperative of a victory to keep their title hopes alive, the last thing he wanted was to see his players so flat and so lifeless. All of his creative talents endured afternoons to forget and only the most blinkered of Arsenal fans could have argued that the opening goal had been coming, although Van Persie did blow his team's best chance of the second half in the 85th minute.

Arsenal looked laboured and one-paced and this felt like one battle too far for tired legs. The penalty that Arsenal got for Jay Spearing's nibble at the back of Cesc Fábregas felt like a lifeline out of the blue. Yet it would be dramatically cut off.

Liverpool's comfort for most of the afternoon was depressing from an Arsenal point of view and Wenger's players seemed to run out of ideas. They had flickered in the first half and they will wonder what might have happened if Laurent Koscielny's 16th-minute header had been six inches lower. But one of the damning indictments against them was that in the second half, despite the home team hogging possession, Liverpool had the better chances, through Luis Suárez.

Liverpool finished the game with three teenagers on the pitch - the rookie full-backs John Flanagan and Jack Robinson emerged with honours - and having lost Fabio Aurelio, Carragher and Andy Carroll to injuries of varying severity. When they conceded so late, the game looked up and so it was not surprising to hear Dalglish praise the character of his players.

Arsenal had been charged with breaking down a Liverpool team whose back four and defensive midfielders rarely got ahead of the ball. Dalglish prized the solidity that his protectors provided even when Arsenal broke, for example, in first-half injury-time with four fliers, they were immediately out-numbered. It was a theme of the afternoon. Curiously, for such an attack-minded side, Arsenal struggled to get bodies into the box. Their final ball was repeatedly dreadful.

It had been a momentous week for the club, with Stan Kroenke's takeover and the death of Danny Fiszman. The Arsenal players' black armbands were as much for the visionary director as the victims of the Hillsborough tragedy. Kroenke was in the directors' box; he missed his Denver Nuggets in NBA play-off action for the first time and he might have squirmed with every other Gooner.

And so to Tottenham on Wednesday, the scene of the last rites on Arsenal's challenge last season. It feels as though they have already been read this time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/apr/17/arsene-wenger-arsenal-liverpool-emirates?utm

GalwayBayBoy

ONeill

Dinny Breen

I have my airbag installed for tonights game against the Spuds

#newbridgeornowhere

screenmachine

I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

ONeill

If Arsenal were 5-0 up with three minutes left and the opposition were down to 8 men it'd finish 5-5.