Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Bocey I know your point, Fegruson is a pragmatist and out of pragmatism something beautiful might be born whereas now Wenger is a romantic who is now lost in delusion, Wenger might be delusional but I admire him for it, we have to have pur dreams. The premiership would be very boring without him. And I agree no Ferguson team would ever give up a 4 goal lead but then no professional football team should, alas then you have Arsenal..

But if Man United don't win anything will the ugly football have been worth it...

Also anyone ever feel they have a stalker? You know when a person keeps addressing you and responding to your posts even though you don't like to entertain their myopia and have them on mental ignore...

#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

You can ignore me all you like Dinny as the saying goes.. keep your words soft & sweet as you may have to eat them  :-*
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

So Arsenal's main man this season Nasri is Back for the Barca game on Wed! do you gooners fans think you can do better than last season & take a lead to the Camp Nou?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Orangemac

Only chance of beating Barca is a radical overhaul of how Arsenal play.

5 in midfield with Nasri ( if fit) and Walcott sitting deep and playing on the break with Van Persie up front and Fabregas, Song and Wilshere holding the centre.

Teams that have beaten Barca such as Inter and Utd a few years ago have packed their defence and played on break. Eto was virtually playing right back last season.

You would fear if Arsenal go toe to toe with Barca there will only be 1 winner.

ONeill

I'd rather Arsenal go toe-toe-toe.

Last year Barca blitzed Arsenal in the first half without scoring. What stood out most was their workrate off the ball. As soon as an Arsenal player got possession, they were hounded and then the carousel started all over again. Their two goals were fairly uncharacteristic Barca goals. Messi was substituted as well. Arsenal weren't that far away in the first leg. Walcott fairly exposed their defence for the 20 mins he was on the field and did the same in the second leg. Strangely they found Bendtner hard to contain. He set up both goals in the first leg and scored in the second. This time Arsenal have an in-form RVP and a much fitter Fabregas. There's also the unpredictability of Arshavin.

In the second leg, this was the Arsenal team - Almunia, Sagna, Vermal, Silvestre, Clichy, Diaby, Rosicky, Nasri, Walcott, Bendtner, Denilson. That's not a great side to take to Barcelona. Even at that, they went 1-0 up, should've made it two and were only breached by Messi alone (albeit 4 times). Bendtner also missed 2 sitters in the second half.

I think that if Arsenal can match Barca's workrate, they can give them bother with their style of football. I say go toe-to-toe at home and see how far Barca are ahead. I'd hate to think Wenger would set his side out to defend for 180 mins a la Mourinho or Ferguson. They need to use Walcott effectively though. Make room for Theo and you never know. It'll be enjoyable to watch, sort of pressure-free given Barca's status.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

I think Arsenal will go for it and can see the Goons leading 2-0 but Barca will get an away goal so will probably finish 2-1. Barca are vulnerable after putting so much effort into their La Liga winning run so a good time to play them I think.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Dinny, definitely think Arsenal have to attempt to put them on the back foot, simply because you don't trust the Arsenal defence to track or intercept those through balls. Need Song and Wilshere to work their balls off in front of the defence, harassing Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Pedro.

ONeill

Who do you think is the bigger loss - Puyol for Barca or Sagna for Arsenal?

Dinny Breen

Puyol for Barca, I think Arsenal can cover Sagna, Eboue when he maintains his defensive responsiblities and doesn't try and get forward at every opportunity is a good full back and will annoy the Barca players, but with Eboue playing it's important Walcott starts because Walcott this season is working really hard in tracking back. Barca losing Puyol is the equivilent of Man U losing Vidic, he's a stopper who played really well against the Arse last year. Who's the likely replacement for him?
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

I think they'll play Abidal at CB and bring in Maxwell, the fella Theo tortured.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on February 16, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Who do you think is the bigger loss - Puyol for Barca or Sagna for Arsenal?

With Iniesta,Xavi playing keep ball it's difficult to exploit there defence whoever is playing while it's vital to have two good full back's when playing Barca

Diaby will be missed who will do the holding role tonight?

I expect wenger will pick this midfield five tonight Nasri,Song,Fàbregas, Wilshere & Walcott meaning alot of responsibility on the shoulders of 19 year old.

ONeill

Arsenal: Szczesny, Eboue, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie.
Subs: Almunia, Rosicky, Denilson, Squillaci, Arshavin, Gibbs, Bendtner.

Barcelona: Valdes, Dani Alves, Pique, Abidal, Maxwell, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro, Messi, Villa.
Subs: Pinto, Bojan, Mascherano, Keita, Milito, Afellay, Adriano Correia.

hassletravel

No chammak on bench, strange
why travel direct