Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: Boycey on February 01, 2011, 10:38:33 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2011, 10:34:30 AM
Quote from: ross4life on February 01, 2011, 10:30:02 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 01, 2011, 09:24:47 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2011, 12:37:44 AM
Fair enough O'Neill but I do havea big gripe with a lot of Arsenal fans about "The Wenger Way". As a Blackburn fan and having Big Sam for a while I got the typical "oh are you not annoyed at the way he plays football blah blah blah" after Sambagoes and makes a nuisance of himself and bustles and kicks the Arsenal defenders. The point I like to make is that all of the Arsenal fans who espouse "The Wenger Way" did not become Arsenal supporters during Wengers reign. Rather when George "Boring Boring Arsenal" Graham was in charge. . . in other words get off yer feckin high horse lads!!!

Having said that I have a lot of respect for what Arsenal have become but don't be giving out lectures about other teams style of play when that is what Arsenal were built on . . . and also win a few trophies before getting holier than thou with everyone else!!!

Rant Over!!

In fairness Screenexile The Arsenal have always run their club in a very old fashion proper way and when Wenger arrived he bought into that culture, Arsenal were always financially prudent but he brought a way playing football that was more pass and move than physical and direct, I suppose some of the Johnny come latelys would espouse this wheneve lack of trophies are mentioned but Arsenal over the last 100 years have always been there or thereabouts and have generally picked up one or two trophies per decade. The football at Arsenal played always depended on the managers philosophy (to me only West Ham and Man United have true cultures of playing pas and move), something that is still important to West Ham fans whereas Man United fans just care about trophies these days and seem oblivious to the more direct football they are playing (getting results but sh*t to watch).

Would love to see Bould in the centre of the Arsenal defence now and trust me he wasn't what you called as tidy footballer...

So you prefer this tippy tappy poor man barca stuff now over the George "Boring Boring Arsenal" Graham stuff that won league titles?

Would you prefer to win the league for 5 years and then go broke with the Glaziers or would you prefer a sustainable financial model?

Two completely seperate issues United are winning trophies in spite of the Glazers not because of them.

Exactly.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Fair enough O'Neill but I do havea big gripe with a lot of Arsenal fans about "The Wenger Way". As a Blackburn fan and having Big Sam for a while I got the typical "oh are you not annoyed at the way he plays football blah blah blah" after Sambagoes and makes a nuisance of himself and bustles and kicks the Arsenal defenders. The point I like to make is that all of the Arsenal fans who espouse "The Wenger Way" did not become Arsenal supporters during Wengers reign. Rather when George "Boring Boring Arsenal" Graham was in charge. . . in other words get off yer feckin high horse lads!!!

Having said that I have a lot of respect for what Arsenal have become but don't be giving out lectures about other teams style of play when that is what Arsenal were built on . . . and also win a few trophies before getting holier than thou with everyone else!!!

Rant Over!!

In fairness Screenexile The Arsenal have always run their club in a very old fashion proper way and when Wenger arrived he bought into that culture, Arsenal were always financially prudent but he brought a way playing football that was more pass and move than physical and direct, I suppose some of the Johnny come latelys would espouse this wheneve lack of trophies are mentioned but Arsenal over the last 100 years have always been there or thereabouts and have generally picked up one or two trophies per decade. The football at Arsenal played always depended on the managers philosophy (to me only West Ham and Man United have true cultures of playing pas and move), something that is still important to West Ham fans whereas Man United fans just care about trophies these days and seem oblivious to the more direct football they are playing (getting results but sh*t to watch).

Would love to see Bould in the centre of the Arsenal defence now and trust me he wasn't what you called as tidy footballer...

So you prefer this tippy tappy poor man barca stuff now over the George "Boring Boring Arsenal" Graham stuff that won league titles?

Would you prefer to win the league for 5 years and then go broke with the Glaziers or would you prefer a sustainable financial model?

Two completely seperate issues United are winning trophies in spite of the Glazers not because of them.

Its the same club.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

Boycey

Quote from: ONeill on January 31, 2011, 11:36:26 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 31, 2011, 10:50:02 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 31, 2011, 10:38:37 PM
Arsenal do have 60K every week, in a stadium not yet paid for

They have controllable debts and refuse to risk their future for short term success, most intelligent Arsenal fans understand that.

QuoteBy the way Koscielni, Arshavin and Denilson could be switched into that team pretty easily and raise the cost by €30 mill

So less than 1 Ferdinand, interesting.

Yeah one Ferdinand or one Torres or maybe both in a three year spell, add a decent goalie and bobs your uncle you would win more and still be able to comfortably service the relatively small (by current standards) debt thats the whole point I'm making.

It's just not the Arsenal/Wenger way. I know it's hard for other sides to fathom, especially those who win things like Chelsea or Utd, but Arsenal fans take immense pride that the club go about their finances the proper way. Today Chelsea reported another 70m loss for the previous year, yet go out and spend that again today. That's the way they want to run their ship and it'll probably win them trophies. But there's just something cheap in that.

Look at the current Arsenal squad - how many were bought from Premier League rivals? Fergie and Chelsea raid their direct competitors (Rooney, Berba, Ferdinand, Valencia, Van Der, Carrick, Cole, Anelka, Lampard etc etc). Wenger doesn't do that as he takes no pride in buying ready made players from their own league. Again, it has brought them trophies but personally I take pride in being an Arsenal supporter as they're unique from the rest. And they play football.

Maybe I got off to a bad start I'm not slagging Wenger off, the job he's done is pretty amazing. The point is I think he's selling the fans short at this stage its like hes on some moral crusade. I'm not suggesting Arsenal go out and spend £100s of millions on star names but add one or two high profile signing over the last 2-3 years could have been the difference in being the eternal bridesmaid and being the bride...

Can I ask whats wrong with buying players from other Premier league clubs? Uniteds policy in general (I'm not qualified to talk on Chelsea) is to buy young players ready to make the step to the next level from the premier league and beyond. Its how the transfer market has worked for the last hundred years. Sometimes you pay big money but I don't think there is much wrong with that. I take pride in being a United supporter we too are unique and we play football, most of the time

Boycey

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2011, 10:57:23 AM

Rant Over!!

Its the same club.  ::)

Good point, well made.

Either you want to have an adult debate about subject or you don't. I'm easy either way

muppet

Quote from: Boycey on February 01, 2011, 11:14:29 AM
Good point, well made.

Either you want to have an adult debate about subject or you don't. I'm easy either way

I didn't think I had to spell it out but there you go.

You criticise Arsenal for not winning trophies because they won't spend money. You are countered with the financial prudence argument. You then promote United as an example of spending and winning. However when it is pointed out how screwed United are financially you claim it (finance) is an entirely separate issue, blaming it on the Glaziers.

It is the same club.
MWWSI 2017

Boycey

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2011, 11:19:56 AM
Good point, well made.

You criticise Arsenal for not winning trophies because they won't spend money. You are countered with the financial prudence argument. You then promote United as an example of spending and winning. However when it is pointed out how screwed United are financially you claim it (finance) is an entirely separate issue, blaming it on the Glaziers.

It is the same club.

United being financially screwed has nothing to do with spending on players as I'm sure you well know so yes I'm blaming it on the Glazers.

Dinny Breen

QuoteUnited being financially screwed has nothing to do with spending on players as I'm sure you well know so yes I'm blaming it on the Glazers.

Did you really just type this?
#newbridgeornowhere

muppet

Quote from: Boycey on February 01, 2011, 11:38:05 AM
Good point, well made.

It is the same club.

United being financially screwed has nothing to do with spending on players as I'm sure you well know so yes I'm blaming it on the Glazers.

It has everything to do with running a club prudently. You bank with Anglo you endorse Seanie Fitz.

TBH if some wealthy git bought Arsenal as his plaything it would be the final straw for me. I wouldn't care about the trophies.

I hope my young fella ignores it (though I concede that is unlikely) and sticks to Gaa or even rugby.
MWWSI 2017

Boycey

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 01, 2011, 11:49:27 AM
QuoteUnited being financially screwed has nothing to do with spending on players as I'm sure you well know so yes I'm blaming it on the Glazers.

Did you really just type this?

I did, u disagree??

Boycey

Quote from: muppet on February 01, 2011, 11:51:12 AM
Quote from: Boycey on February 01, 2011, 11:38:05 AM
Good point, well made.

It is the same club.

It has everything to do with running a club prudently. You bank with Anglo you endorse Seanie Fitz.

TBH if some wealthy git bought Arsenal as his plaything it would be the final straw for me. I wouldn't care about the trophies.

I hope my young fella ignores it (though I concede that is unlikely) and sticks to Gaa or even rugby.

Well thats one thing we agree on then cause the day the sugar daddy comes to United is the day I finally quit.

ONeill

Back to the standard league selection tonight with Rosicky replacing Nasri. Thought Arshavin or Bendtner would've received the nod but a strong midfield nonetheless.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Everton starting brightly. Seem to be full of confidence, winning most 50/50s.

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

Fabgregas is narky these days. Playing like a demon, just on the right side of agression. Needs to be careful. Wishere on a yellow  too.

ONeill