Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Isn't the hope that Walcott will become a central striker playing up the middle rather than as winger?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 24, 2011, 11:32:15 AM
Isn't the hope that Walcott will become a central striker playing up the middle rather than as winger?

The fans just want a new Henry and the hope is that Walcott might be that player...
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 24, 2011, 12:01:28 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on January 24, 2011, 11:32:15 AM

The fans just want a new Henry and the hope is that Walcott might be that player...

Well, he's no striker. 

Should also have named Clichy as one of the best players on the field.  Would have been interesting to see that central defensive partnership put under some pressure - they looked comfortable though.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

Billy, we're all aware of Walcott's limitations but in terms of his influence on goal chances, he seems to be thereabouts. I think Cesc reads his game brilliantly now and can predict where Theo's going to put it even if Walcott's not!

He's never going to be a Pires, Merson or Overmars (or even Glen Helder) but he has that unpredictability about him which worries defenders - remember Barca in the first leg last year. Even in the second leg he set up Bendtner's goal (badly). It's all about his headless pace.

In terms of his finishing, he has improved in that regard and has scored quite a few one-on-ones this season. That pass to Cesc could've been executed by any number of Arsenal players as they seem to do that.

This Ipswich game tomorrow is massive. Win that, turn over Huddersfield on Sat (two games they should in reality be strolling but prob won't) and the season looks vibrant again all of a sudden. I'll be gutted if they don't knock Ipswich out. Arsenal will be the butt of every joke going and they'll deserve it.

What did you think of the centre backs in general? What was the reaction to Arshavin?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

It's 2016 on my FM and finally after years of trying I have sold Bendtner, to Everton. The useless fecker has 2 CL medals and 4 PL though.
MWWSI 2017

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: muppet on January 24, 2011, 02:08:21 PM
It's 2016 on my FM and finally after years of trying I have sold Bendtner, to Everton. The useless fecker has 2 CL medals and 4 PL though.

Who's your keeper and 2 centre halfs??

muppet

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on January 24, 2011, 02:14:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on January 24, 2011, 02:08:21 PM

Who's your keeper and 2 centre halfs??

Bauer and Simaos are my two keepers and the third is a guy I got from Derry City for €30,000.

Sakho and Tony Heuston are my starting CHs but I have a load of them.

I put anyone who is over 25 years of age up for sale every year and the board goes mad. I am trying to get my transfer dealings into minus by buying good young players cheap.
MWWSI 2017

Denn Forever

Imagine if they could get Given from Man City.  The search for Centre Halves would be so pressing.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Billys Boots

QuoteIt's all about his headless pace.

That sums it up for me - he's not an Arsenal player.  While football is all about pace; pace doesn't always accompany football.  Arsenal are a team of impressive footballers - Walcott looks like the odd-man-out.

QuoteThat pass to Cesc could've been executed by any number of Arsenal players as they seem to do that.

I thought it was Nasri, who had a solid, if unspectacular, game.

QuoteWhat did you think of the centre backs in general?

As I say, they looked composed and comfortable - apparently, Djouru reckons he's the best midfielder in the squad and doesn't want to play there long-term.  Kosnielski (or whatever they call him) looks solid, if unspectacular - I guess what you're looking for from a centre-half.  Because of the circumstances, they didn't even leave their own halves for corners - they probably didn't have more than 20 touches each for the 90 mins.  Hard to call on the evidence of that game.

QuoteWhat was the reaction to Arshavin?

Em, encouragement (like for someone making their debut), and pity.  He could be on his way; he looks like he's gone already in spirit.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gerry

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Djourou, Koscielny, Clichy, Denilson, Wilshere, Fabregas, Bendtner, Arshavin, van Persie.

Subs: Shea, Nasri, Walcott, Song, Eboue, Gibbs, Chamakh.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

Away goals only count after extra time.

gerry

the clash of heads looked sore
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ONeill

Bit of fear in Arsenal's play tonight. A bit nervy. Ipswich v well organised. Need to settle.

ONeill