Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaveherinsir

Quote from: under the bar on January 02, 2011, 09:13:51 PM
QuoteWhen I think of midfield play in England the benchmark will always be Giggs, Keane, Scholes and Beckham.

Never mind England it's hard to think of many better midfield 4 in the world.
Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi
Ljunberg, Viera, Petit, Overmars
Viera,Petit. Deschamps, Zidane

ONeill

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 02, 2011, 11:54:23 PM
those guys just can't perform away from OT.

They're the only side unbeaten away from home.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ross4life

Quote from: ONeill on January 03, 2011, 01:02:24 AM

Let's compare with the best Barcelona by taking a look at their away record in the CL for the last 2 years:

Barca P 12 W2 D9 L1  hammered by Inter & drawing with the likes of Rubin Kazan & Copenhagen...

Man United P11 W 9 D1 L1 injury time defeat to Bayern Munich & a 0-0 draw with Inter... United seem to be performing ok away from home?

Want to see how Arsenal,Chelsea,United PL away form compares the last 12 months?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

Yea sure Birmigham were unbeaten at home last year. If one is to isolate away performances only and not results (blah! blah! results business blah! blah!) they've been awful and have only 2 wins all season, one of those defied belief. That normally is not title winning form, more competitive season this year so who knows but if they only get two more away wins all season and remain unbeaten in the other away fixtures they won''t win the EPL imho.

Anyhow point taken and there's not a team in the EPL that wouldn't love to have their results and perhaps their midfield is doing something right...

Back to the Arse, so would the goons be happy with a draw on Wednesday night?
#newbridgeornowhere

StGallsGAA

QuoteLjunberg, Viera, Petit, Overmars

That midfield really set Europe alight!!  ;D

ONeill

Big game Wednesday night. City will be hurting at how Le Arse turned them over at theirs. A draw suits Utd.

Then Leeds at home in the Cup, then away to Ipswich in the other Cup.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 03, 2011, 09:06:21 AM

Yea sure Birmigham were unbeaten at home last year. If one is to isolate away performances only and not results (blah! blah! results business blah! blah!) they've been awful and have only 2 wins all season, one of those defied belief. That normally is not title winning form, more competitive season this year so who knows but if they only get two more away wins all season and remain unbeaten in the other away fixtures they won''t win the EPL imho.

Anyhow point taken and there's not a team in the EPL that wouldn't love to have their results and perhaps their midfield is doing something right...

Back to the Arse, so would the goons be happy with a draw on Wednesday night?

Gooners need to beat City on Wednesday night.

Keep the pressure on them and Utd.

Dinny Breen

I don't think it would be a bad result if Arsenal only draw tomorrow night but it wil be important not to allow a big gap develop betweeen Arsenal and Man United if they are to entertain any thoughts of challenging for the title..

And Arsenal must be contenders of Fergie is now coming out with his usual pop psychology dribble..

QuoteSir Alex Ferguson has slammed Arsene Wenger's criticism of Stoke ahead of Manchester United's clash with the Potters on Tuesday night.

Red Devils chief Ferguson praised Stoke counterpart Tony Pulis for the way he prepares his side and also for the way in which he copes with the occasional question marks rival bosses raise against it.

Wenger, who Ferguson has enjoyed some memorable years of sparring with, was named by the Scot as one such manager.

"People have criticised their physical style of play but they stick to what they do best," said Ferguson.

"I suppose Arsene Wenger has been one of their main critics, but then he does go off on a tangent at times. For instance, he criticised our pitch after they lost here before Christmas and I was at a loss to understand why.

"I have a great admiration for Tony and the wry way he rides the criticism levelled at his team. If anything the criticism galvanises the players."

Wenger, who was incensed by the Ryan Shawcross challenge which led to Aaron Ramsey's broken leg last year, has previously accused Pulis's side of employing "rugby style" tactics and suggested some were "cowards" after a bruising encounter in 2008.

#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Manchester City have not won away at Arsenal since beating them 3-2 at Highbury in October 1975 through goals from Asa Hartford, Rodney Marsh and Joe Royle. Their winless run spans 27 games in all competitions.

Can city beat the bogey tonight?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: ross4life on January 05, 2011, 08:28:03 AM
Manchester City have not won away at Arsenal since beating them 3-2 at Highbury in October 1975 through goals from Asa Hartford, Rodney Marsh and Joe Royle. Their winless run spans 27 games in all competitions.

Can city beat the bogey tonight?

They have a good chance.........but then again the Gunners might put them to the same sword Chelsea got.

Time will tell...............

Gaffer

With United winning last night, a win is a MUST for the Gunners to keep up momentum/pressure against the best team in Manchester at the moment.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

Arsenal:
Fabianski,
Sagna, Djourou, Koscielny, Clichy,
Song, Wilshere, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott,
van Persie.

Subs: Szczesny, Rosicky, Denilson, Squillaci, Arshavin, Chamakh, Bendtner.

Man City:
Hart, Richards, Kompany, Toure, Zabaleta, De Jong, Barry, Toure Yaya, Milner, Tevez, Jo.
Subs: Given, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Adam Johnson, Boateng, Lescott, Vieira.

ONeill

Jaysus, glaring miss after 2 mins for Arsenal.

ONeill

Van Persie off the post 8 mins.

House on fire but no goals.

ONeill