Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross4life

Quote from: muppet on April 06, 2010, 10:42:07 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 06, 2010, 10:35:43 PM
Yis are being abit unfair on Mourinho, all he does is win. Unlike Arsenal he sets his teams up not to concede a bagful of goals. I cant see Inter beating Barcelona but i cant imagine Inter defending like an Irish League team as Arsenal did tonight. Barca are better than last year.

I'd to see how Mourinho would keep a clean sheet with Silvestre in the centre of his defense. He'd have to have Messi sweeping behind him.

i thought Silvestre was at fault for the first two goals
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

If you can't see how Barca have improved on last year, the clue is watch them when they don't have the ball, then you really shouldn't be passing comment on them.

When I look at Man U i see the end of a legacy when I look at Barca I see the start of a legacy....
#newbridgeornowhere

Minder

Quote from: ross4life on April 06, 2010, 10:39:00 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 06, 2010, 10:23:15 PM
Barca have moved on from last year, the little genius is a year old and Man United have gone backwards, it would be no contest only Chelsea of the English sides could give them a proper game.

have they Really?

They are currently level on points with Real Madrid unlike last year when they were walking the Spanish league beating Madrid 6-2 along the way

they also got knocked out of the Spanish cup & in the champions league this season Rubin Kazan beat them 1-0 in the camp nou & drew with them 0-0 at home to prove it was no fluke (barca won every cup they entered last year)

as for united they have gone back alittle but if they get over Bayern? they will have a great chance for replay of last years final unlike the mighty Chelsea who are OUT

Where do i start. Barca have lost one league game this season, they are really regressing in La Liga. Madrid are going great but having no Champions League football will benefit them (see Chelsea). Spanish Cup, no comment necessary, Madrid & Barca dont give a shite about it. Rubin Kazan? Are you taking the piss? Two group games where Barcelona were probably playing at 40% of what they are capable of. If Rubin are as good as you believe why are they now out of the UEFA Cup?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ross4life

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 06, 2010, 10:48:19 PM
If you can't see how Barca have improved on last year, the clue is watch them when they don't have the ball, then you really shouldn't be passing comment on them.

When I look at Man U i see the end of a legacy when I look at Barca I see the start of a legacy....

Barca have been playing that way for years! what you just noticed it when they play your team?

the united legacy was suppose to over when maureen took over chelsea  ::)

Barcelona in 2008/09 had a perfect season ! the best club team i have seen & how could they improve on a perfect season?

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Minder

Quote from: ross4life on April 06, 2010, 10:58:52 PM

Barca have been playing that way for years! what you just noticed it when they play your team?

Barcelona in 2008/09 had a perfect season ! the best club team i have seen & how could they improve on a perfect season?

More bollocks Ross4life, Barcelona never worked as hard without the ball under Rijkaard. They will always pass the ball well but when they work as hard as they do, well they are close to being unbeatable.

Dinny Breen

No they haven't they've always shown a fondness for 4-3-3 but since Guardiola has been installed as first team coach 2 years ago their work rate off the ball and their fitmess levels have improved immensely and the speed at which they press with each player knowing his role and responsibility I have never seen in a Barca team.

By the way I don't just watch Barca when they play Arsenal but ever since I read Jimmy Burns book Barca A peoples passion they have always held my interest, if you ever get a chance it's a fantastic read.
#newbridgeornowhere

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on April 06, 2010, 11:05:18 PM

More bollocks Ross4life, Barcelona never worked as hard without the ball under Rijkaard. They will always pass the ball well but when they work as hard as they do, well they are close to being unbeatable.

bollocks my ass

i had the pleasure of watching Barca first hand in camp nou v Real betis under Rijkaard in 2007 & i was amazed the workrate of there players off the ball, & in the terms keeping possession there's no better team around

Messi didn't score that night but he was a joy to watch

Minder

Quote from: ross4life on April 06, 2010, 11:15:03 PM

bollocks my ass

i had the pleasure of watching Barca first hand in camp nou v Real betis under Rijkaard in 2007 & i was amazed the workrate of there players off the ball, & in the terms keeping possession there's no better team around

Irrelevant.

imtommygunn

Barca's workrate was immense. They definitely didn't play like that before. Arsenal weren't getting a look-in.

Also man u have regressed significantly. Only for Rooney having a wonder season that would be much more obvious.

Arsenal were missing a shed load of players. They'd never have been close anyway but I'd have been very interested to see how Fabregas would have got on in that kind of game.

A few I know reckon arsenal will win the league based on their run in. Not sure they're right... Not enough up front - not good when you're relying on Bendtner!

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Minder on April 06, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

bollocks my ass

Irrelevant.

He's getting as bad as Fearon in that regard

ross4life

Quote from: Minder on April 06, 2010, 11:22:44 PM

bollocks my ass

Irrelevant.

when united beat barca in 2008 they had 60% possession but united held on because they defended for their lives, same goes for Chelsea the year after & were very unlucky not to knock barca out

but i guess that's irrelevant also  ::)

let's judge barca after the inter games as both chelsea & united also looked great after beating arsenal in the Emirates Stadium

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnzKK0WcoI8&feature=player_embedded

Main Street

bollocks my ass

Yes Rijkaard had them buzzing. He had Barca playing 11 man football, fantastic workrate, defending/closing down all over the pitch and attacking as unit. Guardiola has just taken it to another level.

T Fearon

Surely Wenger now needs to be examined seriously, both as a credible football manager and person? His tactics were naive in both games against Barca. Also the fact that he has spurned the likes of Real Madrid etc in recent years, in favour of staying at Arsenal must throw doubt on his ambition and self belief. After all he wouldn't last 5 years or anything like it at the Bernabeu without winning a trophy. Is he a chancer content to remain in the comfort zone of the Haemorrhoids where his job is secure regardless of the lack of silverware and where the home supporters sleep through most games?

Hedley Lamarr

"lack of silverware and where the home supporters sleep through most games?"

Leave Spurs out of this.....how many managers have there been at sh*te fart lane since Wenger has been at Arsenal?
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

gallsman

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on April 06, 2010, 09:51:10 PM
Martin Keown reckons the Argies will be a handful in the world cup with Messi,Tevez and ahem Alves bombing down the right  ;D

Sent my mate that as soon as I heard it too!

What does the fact that his goal last year against United was his first against an English team? How many times prior to that had he played against them? Besides, if memory serves me correctly, he schooled Evra in both those legs. However, you can't attempt to compare the dying days of Rijkaard's final season with the glory Guardiola has presided over.