Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

I feel very sorry for Ramsey and hope he's back as soon as possible however the comments by AW after the game were disgraceful.  Has the man no shame?   It was a 50/50 ball and Shawcross could just as easily have been the one with broken leg.  Had Ramsey not suffered such a horrific injury Shawcross woould not have been sent off and perhaps not even booked!

ONeill

Which comment in particular did you find disgraceful?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

I remember Liverpool suffering something similar a while ago, I think Cisse broke his leg twice, and Carragher broke his too. All in a relatively short period. I think Lucas Neil broke two of them.

Shocking stuff for young Ramsey, but I don't think it was malicious. It wasn't studs out that usually characterises these leg breakers, it looked like he was trying to kick the ball. Ramsey's foot was planted and that was the problem.

I think Shawcross was unlucky enough to get a red card, but at the same time, it was late and possibly without due care, i.e. reckless. You do have a duty of care to your opponents in all games, and if you get 'loose' with that, you have to expect unfortunate results to your actions, and possibly red cards.

I hope Ramsey recovers quickly, and that it is a clean break.

J OGorman

Quote from: ONeill on March 01, 2010, 12:02:37 AM
Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on February 28, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
His initial touch was too heavy, it's instinct to take a swing for the ball when it's there in front of you and there's an immediate threat that someone might get there before you. Ramsey nicked it away, there was no way Shawcross could avoid it.

I'd disagree with this.

I'd completely agree with GAA GAA, not sure how you can not agree...very very unfortunate result, but not done with intent.

under the bar

QuoteWhich comment in particular did you find disgraceful?

That it was no coincidence that 3 arsenal players have got injured and his inference that team set out to injure Arsenal players.  An unfortunate accident yet he tries to make it out as part of an underhand conspiracy.

ONeill

How on earth is it instinct to take a swing at a ball because someone else might get it? If that was the case there'd be very few men left standing at the end of a game.

Shawcross's tackle was reckless, clumsy - call it what you will - and for the second time he has broken a leg/ankle of an opposing player in 3 years. He also put Adebayor out for three weeks last year with another ankle cruncher.

In any other discipline, errors like that which result in serious injury to others would be harshly dealt with.

Wenger spoke out last year about Shawcross and now this happens - he is totally to blame for this, not through maliciousness but by stupidity.

ONeill

Quote from: under the bar on March 01, 2010, 11:40:50 AM

That it was no coincidence that 3 arsenal players have got injured and his inference that team set out to injure Arsenal players.  An unfortunate accident yet he tries to make it out as part of an underhand conspiracy.

No, he didn't make out that there was a conspiracy. He was intimating that opposing sides set out to rough Arsenal up and it's a fair assessment that this Arsenal side don't really like it. Unfortunately, some players/managers take it too far with the result being what you saw on Saturday. Watch Arsenal v Sunderland a couple of weeks ago. Fabregas was battered/kicked around the field. Is that what top level soccer is about?

Bensars

Think it was an accident.

"How on earth is it instinct to take a swing at a ball because someone else might get it?"  Thats part and parcel of midfield play. Patrick Viera was never too backward, but then again maybe top level soccer has moved on since his time at Arsenal.

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: ONeill on March 01, 2010, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: under the bar on March 01, 2010, 11:40:50 AM

No, he didn't make out that there was a conspiracy. He was intimating that opposing sides set out to rough Arsenal up and it's a fair assessment that this Arsenal side don't really like it. Unfortunately, some players/managers take it too far with the result being what you saw on Saturday. Watch Arsenal v Sunderland a couple of weeks ago. Fabregas was battered/kicked around the field. Is that what top level soccer is about?

The premiership is all about survival for most of the teams, and any manager worth his salt will know that where Arsenal are concerned if you can stop Fabregas then there is a good chance that you will stop Arsenal.
Quit whingeing, you are in with a great chance of winning the premiership, something you wouldn't have believe at Xmas.   
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

bingobus

If teams went out to delibarately injure/hurt/nail Arsenal players, that Fab would have been creamed long ago by one of these tackles. Gallas "tackle" V Bolton was every bit as bad but luckily the outcome was less.

These things happy in football, players can suffer terrible injuries, be it from tackles like that or just by turning with no-one round them.

ONeill

Quote from: Bensars on March 01, 2010, 11:57:27 AM
Think it was an accident.

"How on earth is it instinct to take a swing at a ball because someone else might get it?"  Thats part and parcel of midfield play. Patrick Viera was never too backward, but then again maybe top level soccer has moved on since his time at Arsenal.

You're not getting it. Of course it was an accident. No one sets out to break someone's leg. No one is saying that. The point is that it was dangerously reckless and should've been harshly dealt with. When Shawcross nails a third player will action be taken? You can't smash into and injure someone on the road and say 'it was an accident' expecting the minimum punishment. Recklessness is a danger.

under the bar

QuoteFabregas was battered/kicked around the field. Is that what top level soccer is about?

Fabregas is a midfielder and gives as much as he takes.  He didn't get a fraction of the kickings/hatchet jobs that Ronaldo got.  Highly skillful players must live with that and yes that's what top level soccer is about.   Hypocrite Wenger "never sees it" when his own players dish it out funnily enough.

Bensars

You cannot compare driving on the road and a contact sport. Never mind a contact sport comprising of professional athletes.

He was punished. He was sent off and by your very own admission "Of course it was an accident. No one sets out to break someone's leg".

ONeill

In order to close this debate, I think it's best if you admit I'm right and move along.

bingobus

If you are right then and Wenger is right, what is the outcome?

No tackle rule introduced against Arsenal? Any player who has previously injured an opponent/been red carded/considered dirty/considered potential dirty isn't allowed to take to the field against Arsenal? Arsenal to appoint their own referee and he will take charge of all there matches?

I fail to see what can be done?