Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

I can see the argument for taylr getting a red and i'd expect refs to send him off, but i wouldn't. I thought he genuinely attempted to play the ball and edwardo's feet were too quick for him.

Shawcross is a fantastic centre half - top 5 in the league and superior to any of arsenal's centre halves. being a good footballer at centre half means anticiapting play, tackling well, winning headers, organising, etc. you're view of a talented footballer is obviously different to mine. for example, denilson is a player i wouldn't have in the united reserve team. what use is a midfielder that can't tackle, has no mental strength and whose only redeeming feature is the capacity to pass the ball sideways to a teammate? at least the original crab could tackle

Dinny Breen

Quotedenilson is a player i wouldn't have in the united reserve team. what use is a midfielder that can't tackle, has no mental strength and whose only redeeming feature is the capacity to pass the ball sideways to a teammate? at least the original crab could tackle

Don't think anyone would take up that arguement.  :o
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteWent back and had another look at tackle there I'm sorry (f**k that sounds like Andy Gray) I just can't see what you see in it

Did he win the ball? Was he even close? It was wreckless and stupid and that is my last comment.

Was Shawcross not released by Man U, can't see Chelsea or Arsenal signing him because they need guys who are comfortable on the ball and have concentration levels due to their teams possession games, Shawcross will never play at Champions League level, he's your typical over-rated English plodder who can head a ball and make good honest tackles. He's no Rio Ferdinand or John Terry.
#newbridgeornowhere

AFS

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 28, 2010, 06:48:53 PM
QuoteWent back and had another look at tackle there I'm sorry (f**k that sounds like Andy Gray) I just can't see what you see in it

Did he win the ball? Was he even close? It was wreckless and stupid and that is my last comment.

Was Shawcross not released by Man U, can't see Chelsea or Arsenal signing him because they need guys who are comfortable on the ball and have concentration levels due to their teams possession games, Shawcross will never play at Champions League level, he's your typical over-rated English plodder who can head a ball and make good honest tackles. He's no Rio Ferdinand or John Terry.

No, he was sold for a million, which has probably doubled in add on fee since then. Probably seemed like good business at the time considering he was behind seventh or eight in the pecking order, but in hindsight it would've been better to hold onto him for another while.

ONeill

I hadn't really paid much attention to Shawcross in the past, but I see he has a bit of a record:

and

http://twitvid.com/3BCE0
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Lady GAA GAA

Jesus, would younse quit with the persecution complex and also the vilification of Shawcross. His initial touch was too heavy, it's instinct to take a swing for the ball when it's there in front of you and there's an immediate threat that someone might get there before you. Ramsey nicked it away, there was no way Shawcross could avoid it. There was zero intent on Shawcross' behalf.

Wenger's comments are ludicrous, especially set against the backdrop of the disgraceful challenge by Gallas v Bolton and the ensuing comments by Wenger essentially brushing it aside as a nothing challenge. His bias and refusal to be reasoned in his assessments is nothing short of ridiculous.

ONeill

Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on February 28, 2010, 11:43:09 PM
His initial touch was too heavy, it's instinct to take a swing for the ball when it's there in front of you and there's an immediate threat that someone might get there before you. Ramsey nicked it away, there was no way Shawcross could avoid it.

I'd disagree with this.

screenexile

I'm a neutral who likes Arsenal and admire them for the football they play but in all fairness I've looked at it 4 times now. . . there are VERY few players who play/have played soccer that would not have made that tackle Shawcross did, it was instinctive and just unfortunate.

I hope Ramsey makes a speedy recovery.

ONeill

Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on February 28, 2010, 11:43:09 PM

Wenger's comments are ludicrous, especially set against the backdrop of the disgraceful challenge by Gallas v Bolton and the ensuing comments by Wenger essentially brushing it aside as a nothing challenge. His bias and refusal to be reasoned in his assessments is nothing short of ridiculous.

How does this equate with Wenger saying - "I am sorry if the tackle was not good, and I apologise".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/arsenal/7041770/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-sorry-for-William-Gallas-tackle-on-Boltons-Mark-Davies.html

Please, as Dinny says, use this thread to say something constructive. This is not a Man Utd/Liverpool thread.

ONeill

Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2010, 12:41:22 AM
I'm a neutral who likes Arsenal and admire them for the football they play but in all fairness I've looked at it 4 times now. . . there are VERY few players who play/have played soccer that would not have made that tackle Shawcross did, it was instinctive and just unfortunate.

I have never been hacked like that and i'd imagine if I was it'd be viewied as clueless/reckless.

muppet

Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2010, 12:41:22 AM

As an Arsenal supporter IMHO it was a total accident. Very unlucky for Ramsey and hopefully, as seems to be the norm these days, he will make a full recovery.
MWWSI 2017

Hedley Lamarr

http://i48.tinypic.com/2rz7uid.jpg

Maybe check this out. It would appear that the damagewas done BEFORE any contact from Shawcross :o
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

BennyHarp

Although i'm not an Arsenal fan i do have alot of time for Arsene Wenger and admire the way he sets his teams up to play and i also have sympathy for what he said at the weekend. Over a relatively short period of time he has lost 3 players to horrific broken legs. Is this a conincidence?
I dont for one minute think people intentionaly go out to break legs but i have no doubt that teams go out to "hammer it into arsenal" and "put it up em" as this will put arsenals skillful players off their game. This physical approach to playing against arsenal, in my opinion has led to the over zealous tackles that have led to the 3 broken legs - so i feel wenger has a point.
The three teams who arsenal has suffered the injuries against Sunderland (i think), Birmingham and now Stoke couldnt live with Arsenal on football ability so they compensate by increasing the physicality! I'm not saying that these teams shouldnt do this - just saying that i think that was Wenger's point.
That was never a square ball!!

Hedley Lamarr

Arsenal have no cutting edge......would the same teams that "put it up to Arsenal" have done it when Vierra, Adams and Keown played?

I don't think so. Hope Ramsey makes a full recovery and is back playing soon.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Hedley Lamarr