Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Arsenal's problems aren't going go to disappear in a week, mentally fragile and not clinical or cynical enough. Chelseas had two chances and converted both. Not out of it but mentally they are not ruthless. In just as weill every other team apart fom the top two in the EPL are complete dross.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Dinny, I was actually a lot happier after the game today than last week. I honestly think Arsenal have turned the corner. Arsenal started brightly and for 10 minutes before the second goal they dominated Chelsea, and continued to do so after the second. Thankfully, for the rest of the season, there's no Drogba or Rooney.

Looking at the remaining 13 games - if Arsenal start with a win v Liverpool on Wed, they're capable of picking up 30 points if they play like that. I don't think I'm deluded in saying that. At the minute it's about staying ahead of Liverpool and City but i'd be fairly confident with that.

The goals were defensive nightmares but beyond that I thought they shut out Chelsea well in the second when Chelsea decided to attack. Bendtner actually added a bit to the side but the biggest improvement was Eboue for Walcott. An awful pity Wenger didn't strengthen with Sorenson.

Albeit 9 behind Chelsea and most likely won't make that up, I'd be more optimistic regarding the CL and keeping on the tails of second place at least. With Song, Rosicky and Nasri getting more games, things may just be looking up.

I thought Chelsea would win this league but less sure now. On the basis of the last 2 weeks, Utd are the better side right now, and that's not at full strength.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

I do agree O'Neill but the problem as I see it is that Wenger has demonstarted great belief in this group of players but this group don't seem to have that beleif in themselves, he should have started a full strength side against Stoke, winnng is a habit and that defeat brought an end to their run and mentally had an effect on the Arsenal squad.

Chelsea and Man U are side full of winners, Arsenal aren't and they need to win something sooner rather than later if they are going to achieve their potential, if they avoid English opposition they have a great chance in the CL.

QuoteAn awful pity Wenger didn't strengthen with Sorenson.

Cried when I read that, fine goalie but then again a bucket of frogs would be better than Almunia, at least it's recogintion of a serious problem.

Still fancy Chelsea to win it, almost better man for man than Man U - probably only Rooney would get in the Chelsea side.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Arsenal did well in the second half because Chelsea had the job done and were closing out the game. Wenger has done well with the 'Bringing on the Kids' stuff, but he is short three (rough and ready) players in key positions. Kids, silky football and not opening the purse strings will only get you so far! Have to agree winning is a habit, a couple of years ago when Man U were struggling for silverware with a young and inexperienced squad they made sure they won the League Cup.

centre 3/4s

To be fair to Arsene he is Arsenal through and through plain to see and financially he has the clubs best interests at heart which is refreshing to see concidering the win at all cost mentality there is in football, i just feel that we are 4 players short of the finished article and that we are carrying too many fringe players. Almunia, Bendtner, Eduardo,Walcott,Denilson, and clichy are all playing crap and are not helping matters!

ONeill

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 07, 2010, 09:10:33 PM
Arsenal did well in the second half because Chelsea had the job done and were closing out the game.

Arsenal did well from the start.

It seems to be if top teams score first against Arsenal, it's game over. They'll sit back and bang them on the counter.

Hasn't Walcott gone back something shocking. His World Cup is disappearing before his very eyes.

ONeill

Wednesday, 10 February 2010
Arsenal v Liverpool, 19:45

Saturday, 20 February 2010
Arsenal v Sunderland, 15:00

Saturday, 27 February 2010
Stoke v Arsenal, 17:30

Saturday, 6 March 2010
Arsenal v Burnley, 15:00

Saturday, 13 March 2010
Hull v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 20 March 2010
Arsenal v West Ham, 17:30

Saturday, 27 March 2010
Birmingham v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 3 April 2010
Arsenal v Wolverhampton, 15:00

Saturday, 10 April 2010
Tottenham v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 17 April 2010
Wigan v Arsenal, 15:00

Saturday, 24 April 2010
Arsenal v Man City, 15:00

Saturday, 1 May 2010
Blackburn v Arsenal, 15:00

Sunday, 9 May 2010
Arsenal v Fulham, 15:00

Puckoon

Quote from: ONeill on February 07, 2010, 10:09:05 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 07, 2010, 09:10:33 PM
Arsenal did well in the second half because Chelsea had the job done and were closing out the game.

Arsenal did well from the start.

It seems to be if top teams score first against Arsenal, it's game over. They'll sit back and bang them on the counter.

Hasn't Walcott gone back something shocking. His World Cup is disappearing before his very eyes.

I was thinking that myself - Im not sold on this arsenal played well thing. They didnt play badly, but nowhere near enough to beat a top side.

Chelsea didnt have to chase the game after going 2-0 up and knew that arsenal were toothless in attack. John Terry and Cashley were outstanding without having to really worry all that much. I think they made arsenal look "good" with letting them have possession while knowing they werent going to do anything substantial with it.

Nasri had in my opinion two chances to take a shot, which when you are 2-0 down, you need to take to have any chance of scoring, and he looked again for another pass. That was the most frustrating for me.

screenexile

Interesting article from Phil McNulty. Wenger is really starting to get to me with all his whinging after games about this and that.

2 Years ago around this time Arsenal were going well and put out a makeshif side in the FA CUp against United where they got an absolute thumping and it set the tone for the rest of their year where they were toothless and never any threat to the championship. Again this year against Stoke they do the same and what has happened to their season since?? Down the tubes again!

Wenger can talk all he wants about his kids but he won titles with experienced seasoned campaigners, Viera, Overmars, Petit, Keown, Dixon etc. We've been waiting 5 years for this young team to blossom yet when players are reaching their prime he sells them a la Adebayor, Toure, Hleb, Diarra, Reyes.

I think Wenger needs to have a long head look for some seasoned campaigners in the Summer and bring in at least 3, one for each area of the pitch!!

Good article from Phil McNulty about the Arsenal way:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/02/john_terry_parted_with_the.html

Dinny Breen

Screenexile are you losing it, that is a terrible article, it is like all poor tabloid sports writing in that it completly eulogises the winners and condemns the losers, i mean ffs

QuoteTerry concluded a one-man lap of honour after the final whistle by throwing his Chelsea shirt into the crowd and carefully presenting a supporter in the Matthew Harding Stand with the armband. Redemption time.

Redemption? He's meet caught out as a serial adulterer, how can winning a game of soccer bring about redemption for that, do you think his wife and kids feel redeemed?

QuoteArsenal also played their part by flatly refusing to burden Terry with any of those nasty defender's worries, such as the fear that the opposition might have a few shots at goal or exert even the slightest modicum of physical pressure. Perish the thought.

Arsenal had almost twice as many shots on target and off target than Chelsea, they are not clinical enough, saying they don't shoot is just a journalistic fallacy where the evidence is contrary.

QuoteWenger's assessment of Terry was one of his better moments in an after-match briefing that was at best wildly optimistic and at worst delusional. Amid damning this vastly-superior Chelsea side with churlish faint praise - "we didn't get a demonstration of football but they were efficient"

What is churlish about that, he praised their clinical football and how the hell were Chelsea vastly superior in that game? Less possession, less territory and less shots - they were incredibly effecient not superior.

I stopped reading after that, most of the contributers on this thread know why Arsenal won't win the Premiership, if you're going to give us something to read at least give us a balance article, that one belongs firmly in the recycle bin.
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quotethat one belongs firmly in the recycle bin

Why would we want to see it again Dinny?  You do know what recycle means, don't you?  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

:D

I was thnking you could salvage the bulls*it and use it to fertilise  :P
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

That would be composting Dinny, not recycling.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Norf Tyrone

Never read the article (Can't be arsed), but re the shots on goal quote. For all Arsenal's domination of posession, they had two shots on goal over 90 minutes. A stat generated from Arsenal's over complication of the football, and Chelsea's excellent defence, and tactical organisation.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Dinny Breen

Arsenal had 6 shots on target, all abysmal..

QuoteChelsea's excellent defence, and tactical organisation.

No arguement here.
#newbridgeornowhere