Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Talk of Vidal in the media today. Think he was injured earlier in the year but was very impressive against Madrid.

beer baron

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 22, 2015, 02:48:33 PM
Talk of Vidal in the media today. Think he was injured earlier in the year but was very impressive against Madrid.

He'd take you onto another level if he signed and stayed injury free. Hell of a player.

50fiftyball

Class player yes, but I'd rather see us splash big cash, £30million plus on a man who is going to score week in week out, 20+ goals a season, and will deliver in BIG games, won't go missing then score against the lesser sides... That's the missing piece for me, not enough killer instinct up front, a real poacher who is lethal in around the box in the air or on the ground.

Higuain/Jackson Martinez ??

Walter Cronc

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 25, 2015, 10:25:42 AM
Class player yes, but I'd rather see us splash big cash, £30million plus on a man who is going to score week in week out, 20+ goals a season, and will deliver in BIG games, won't go missing then score against the lesser sides... That's the missing piece for me, not enough killer instinct up front, a real poacher who is lethal in around the box in the air or on the ground.

Higuain/Jackson Martinez ??

Higuain is hugely over rated. No better than Giroud in my opinion. Lacks pace which is vital in the premiership. 30 goal strikers are few and far between!

beer baron

I'd have to disagree with you Walter,Higuain's a brilliant goalscorer. I'd have him in the top 10 or 15 finishers in the world not including the 2 mutants Ronaldo and Messi and his positioning is fantastic so gets away with not being the quickest in the world. I'd say he's going somewhere in Summer so you could do worse than get him.

50fiftyball

Agreed, pace is key, If only we could have two Sanchez' up front and out wide! although in saying that Sanchez isn't an out and out striker, he just got an eye for goal this season!

I'm iffy about whether Benzema would be the right man.. going by this link - top goalscorer's in Europe as the end of the season - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eurotopfoot.com%2Fgb%2Fsoulierdor.php3&ei=HO9iVaGSGa-O7AaAxICoBA&usg=AFQjCNEelLYU5J4M-rM7t46c52-3IAzOBw

Lacazette of Lyon or Griezmann of Athletico Madrid have pace to burn.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: beer baron on May 25, 2015, 10:41:52 AM
I'd have to disagree with you Walter,Higuain's a brilliant goalscorer. I'd have him in the top 10 or 15 finishers in the world not including the 2 mutants Ronaldo and Messi and his positioning is fantastic so gets away with not being the quickest in the world. I'd say he's going somewhere in Summer so you could do worse than get him.

I just don't rate him BB. He's the kinda striker that needs a bagful of chances. I've been a big critic in the past of Giroud but he's got the same number of goals as Costa and both were injured for similar periods. Yet Costa is assumed to be world class! Wenger has to work out how to break teams down when they park the bus and double of triple mark Giroud!

50fiftyball

What would your views on signing Vidal be Walter? Lot of reports today suggesting he will join after Copa America, as his agent is also Sanchez' agent...

beer baron

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 25, 2015, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: beer baron on May 25, 2015, 10:41:52 AM

I just don't rate him BB. He's the kinda striker that needs a bagful of chances. I've been a big critic in the past of Giroud but he's got the same number of goals as Costa and both were injured for similar periods. Yet Costa is assumed to be world class! Wenger has to work out how to break teams down when they park the bus and double of triple mark Giroud!

Fair enough,all entitled to our opinion. For what it's worth i like Giroud and think you guys need strengthening in other positions before a striker. That Naingolan lad from Roma seems a  hell of a midfielder from what i've seen of him and plenty of physicality too,he'd be a good fit for you guys if he's looking to leave.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: 50fiftyball on May 25, 2015, 11:57:00 AM
What would your views on signing Vidal be Walter? Lot of reports today suggesting he will join after Copa America, as his agent is also Sanchez' agent...

I think Vidal (if back to his best) would be a serious signing for Arsenal. I think the key this summer is to strengthen in 1 or 2 areas with real quality. The players I would like to see would be:

- Cech (still a world class keeper) will Mourinho sell to Arsenal?
- Tyrone Mings (another top young defender as Mertesacker is phased out)
- Milner (great back up to Coquelin and offers energy & drive)
- Martinez (think he has the attributes for the premiership)

Captain Obvious

Arsenal should be out of sight at half time. Aston Villa very poor.

Aaron Boone

Villa didn't turn up, looked like the club who finished just above the relegation places.

gerry

Good day to be a gooner on the stout   #inwengerwerust
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

laoislad

Oh, is there a match on today?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on May 30, 2015, 06:57:07 PM
Oh, is there a match on today?

No! Arsenal had a short spin down the road and recollected the FA Cup! Aston Villa no shots on Target.......Yawnfest!