Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Bit of a fight shown there finally.

Need Everton to slip up somewhere.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Man City didn't look that pushed about dropping 2 important points, Arsenal looked the more dauntless team.

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on March 29, 2014, 07:31:35 PM
Bit of a fight shown there finally.

Need Everton to slip up somewhere.

Or ye could just beat them next week..

ONeill

Spose. With Ramsey, Ozil and Wilshere all due back for the finish you'd imagine they'll be ok.

T Fearon

What's the point? Arsenal never get any further than last 16,they're on a par with Celtic,only with about 50 times more money to spend

spirit0f91and94

That makes spurs on par with Rangers....wasting money at every chance and a very badly managed club. In real terms "fur coat and no knickers" ;D

Dinny Breen

Quote from: T Fearon on March 30, 2014, 09:21:25 AM
What's the point? Arsenal never get any further than last 16,they're on a par with Celtic,only with about 50 times more money to spend

Very philosophical tonight Tonius, No musings on Mr Sherwood dishing out alleged physical abuse to one of his team mates.

Does anyone  think winning the FA cup will break Arsenal's cycle?  I don't mean lack of trophies.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

All depends on whether Wenger spends. If, as the board reckons, the money is there and he buys another Chamakh then he has to go.

This cycle of finishing 4th and CL football, with no obvious benefit of CL football in terms of the club strengthening, is boring.

I'd rather get a new man in and finish 6-7-8th if it meant a new philosophy.

Wenger's tenure is of a time before the moneybags of Chelsea and Man City. He won't change.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ONeill on March 31, 2014, 12:13:12 AM
All depends on whether Wenger spends. If, as the board reckons, the money is there and he buys another Chamakh then he has to go.

This cycle of finishing 4th and CL football, with no obvious benefit of CL football in terms of the club strengthening, is boring.

I'd rather get a new man in and finish 6-7-8th if it meant a new philosophy.

Wenger's tenure is of a time before the moneybags of Chelsea and Man City. He won't change.

Most of me agrees with that, you'd hope that winning the FA Cup would instill some belief in the younger players JW, AR, KG, OC, WS etc but it would need to be allied to Wenger signing a serious striker and a serious central midfielder and he would probably need to spend in the region of 60-80m.  Like you I just can't see it and a new philosophy is what's now required.

Is their manager strong enough in his own beliefs out there capable of bringing that to a club like Arsenal?
#newbridgeornowhere

Billys Boots

Quoteit would need to be allied to Wenger signing a serious striker and a serious central midfielder

What's a serious central midfielder - not winding, just curious.  I mean you have Wilshere, Ramsey and Chamberlain - is it another Song-type player?  I think ye should break the bank for Lewandowski.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

rodney trotter

Diaby Imo has been a big loss for Arsenal this season.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 31, 2014, 11:23:59 AM
Quoteit would need to be allied to Wenger signing a serious striker and a serious central midfielder

What's a serious central midfielder - not winding, just curious.  I mean you have Wilshere, Ramsey and Chamberlain - is it another Song-type player?  I think ye should break the bank for Lewandowski.

Well that deal is done long ago, he's joining Bayern on a free in June.

Lars Bender is the signing Arsenal need imo. A holding midfielder with enough pace to cover the ground.

Arteta has done well but he's getting on a bit and has been badly exposed in big games.

Interesting watching MOTD, where Hansen said Arsenal arent a bad side defensively, they just got their tactics all wrong away to Liverpool and Chelsea by playing a high line.

Now after reverting to a more withdrawn defence against City, the question is, how much control has Steve Bould over tactics. Did Wenger totally over power him and go with the formation away to LFC and CFC.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 31, 2014, 11:23:59 AM

Sorry bit ambiguous there I mean a Matuidi, Busquets, Martinez and yes Bender would be perfect ( Bender playing for the Arse) that type of player or a another Viera, Toure, Gerrard guys that physical dominate their opponent.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jonah

ONeill

At least Sanogo can tell the grandchildren about the offside load.