Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

There you go blaming Suarez for the ref's decision.
The first penalty was softly and stupidly conceded but it was a certified penalty. The denied penalty, either the ref saw it as a fair challenge or he thought the Arsenal player got his foot to the ball.
Awarding  a 2nd penalty so late in the game, the ref would have to be 100% sure and he bottled it.

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on February 17, 2014, 12:18:16 PM
The first penalty was softly and stupidly conceded but it was a certified penalty. The denied penalty, either the ref saw it as a fair challenge or he thought the Arsenal player got his foot to the ball.
Awarding  a 2nd penalty so late in the game, the ref would have to be 100% sure and he bottled it.

He can't have thought that Ox got to the ball otherwise he would have had to give a corner. He knew that Suarez got the last touch which makes his call all the more bizarre.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Webb's view, not an obvious one from that angle but since we're discussing penalties why wasn't the foul on Cazorla by Skertel not given?
#newbridgeornowhere

deiseach

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 17, 2014, 11:06:23 AM
Cheers AZ, I for one don't understand why Podolski doesn't start more. The penalties were both penalties but if Suarez hadn't reacted like this, it surely would have been given.

And yet referees give penalties when players fling their hands in the air all the time. I think the thing with Howard Webb is that he makes his mind up before anything happens, e.g. he was determined in the World Cup final that he wasn't going to sully his big day with a red card and only gave one when he ran out of Dutch players to whom he could give a single yellow. It has the virtue of appearing decisive and if there is one thing the authorities value in a ref, it's decisiveness.

ONeill

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 17, 2014, 10:02:31 AM
Well done lads. I hope ye go on and win it now. I was happy with LFC's display in the second half, which is all I saw, and I thought the first peno was soft, but the second one was nailed on. Arsenal looked nervy in that second half, but still looked dangerous on counters and Oxade Chamberlain and Podolski give them a bit more direct threat I think.

I thought you were a Gooner. I need to pay attention.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 17, 2014, 12:40:06 PM

Webb's view, not an obvious one from that angle but since we're discussing penalties why wasn't the foul on Cazorla by Skertel not given?

From that view it looks like Saurez leads in with a shoulder charge, he then comes off second best and goes down. Can see why the ref did not give it from that angle. The way he flaps up on his back is hilarious... 10/10 for effort  ;D

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on February 17, 2014, 12:26:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 17, 2014, 12:18:16 PM

He can't have thought that Ox got to the ball otherwise he would have had to give a corner. He knew that Suarez got the last touch which makes his call all the more bizarre.
It was a poor call but he doesn't deserve the vilification, there's a bit of doubt from his angle of vision. He's a good ref but not a top ref.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: EC Unique on February 17, 2014, 02:13:11 PM

From that view it looks like Saurez leads in with a shoulder charge, he then comes off second best and goes down. Can see why the ref did not give it from that angle. The way he flaps up on his back is hilarious... 10/10 for effort  ;D

Doesnt look like a pen from that angle.......but it does from the other one available.

Denn Forever

look like a  shoulder charge from Suarez..

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on February 17, 2014, 02:47:51 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 17, 2014, 02:13:11 PM

Doesnt look like a pen from that angle.......but it does from the other one available.
he came off worse.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ONeill

Team for Bayern?

Back 4 solid.

Flamini - Arteta
Wilshere - Cazorla - Ozil
Giroud

Ox/Pod must be due a start in a big game. Rosicky?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

Arsenal would have more experience than City but after watching City last night you'd have to worry about the standard of the EPL and really fear for Arsenal tonight, Liverpool and Southampton showed that the high press creates opportunities and what manager loves his teams playing that way and with much more quality in his team gulp!
#newbridgeornowhere

beer baron

Quote from: ONeill on February 17, 2014, 08:13:36 PM
Team for Bayern?

Back 4 solid.

Flamini - Arteta
Wilshere - Cazorla - Ozil
Giroud

Ox/Pod must be due a start in a big game. Rosicky?

Think Arteta's suspended which'll probably mean Wilshere dropping back and then disappearing every few minutes and leaving Flamini very exposed

ExiledGael

Sanogo??
Giroud's head must be all over the place