Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Steadies the ship a bit.

9 points need to be taken from the next 3 mid tablers and below.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

It was a bit meh! Important not to lose but just want to see Arsenal beat one of these teams.

How shit was Mata?
#newbridgeornowhere

wildrover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 09:41:35 PM
It was a bit meh! Important not to lose but just want to see Arsenal beat one of these teams.

How shit was Mata?

About as poor as Ozil was!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: wildrover on February 12, 2014, 09:47:16 PM

How shit was Mata?

Really? Watch the game and not the perception. Anything good about Arsenal tonight generally came through Ozil. Lazy man's narrative.
#newbridgeornowhere

Main Street

Spurs and Liverpool are even back in this Epl title 'race'.

Why were the crowd booing at the end of the match tonight? Arsenal didn't break down a resolute Utd, but was it really a booable performance?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on February 12, 2014, 10:04:14 PM
Spurs and Liverpool are even back in this Epl title 'race'.

Why were the crowd booing at the end of the match tonight? Arsenal didn't break down a resolute Utd, but was it really a booable performance?

I presume it's because they were pushing for a winner (and it felt like it was coming) and then as the game went into injury time, the hand-brake came on. The crowd were frustrated with this and it just manifested itself as Boos at the end.

Very similar to the post-Man City game, consolidate and move on.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

That's what I thought too. It looked for a while like Arsenal were finally putting on some real pressure, and then it was like they just stopped.

Main Street

Arsenal are still coming out winners during this month of trial and tribulation, even if they are not actually winning the important games.
After another few weeks you can see them nudging a few points clear again, much to the chagrin of the other contenders.

wildrover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 09:55:58 PM

How shit was Mata?

Really? Watch the game and not the perception. Anything good about Arsenal tonight generally came through Ozil. Lazy man's narrative.

Is the idea to patronise me into saying Ozil was good tonight?...because he certainly wasn't. He has no penetration, his work-rate was dire and his attitude towards his team-mates was terrible. His quality can pick the lock of lower-table teams but he has yet to show that he has the stomach for the bigger teams.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: wildrover on February 12, 2014, 10:59:34 PM

How shit was Mata?

Is the idea to patronise me into saying Ozil was good tonight?...because he certainly wasn't. He has no penetration, his work-rate was dire and his attitude towards his team-mates was terrible. His quality can pick the lock of lower-table teams but he has yet to show that he has the stomach for the bigger teams.

Plenty of sound bites but just perception. I never stated Ozil was good tonight.

Amazing what stats are out there, Ozil created seven chances to Mata's one, and had a 78% passing accuracy in United's half compared to Mata's 66% in Arsenal's half. Yea very similar performances.

#newbridgeornowhere

wildrover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:13:23 PM
Quote from: wildrover on February 12, 2014, 10:59:34 PM

How shit was Mata?

Plenty of sound bites but just perception. I never stated Ozil was good tonight.

Amazing what stats are out there, Ozil created seven chances to Mata's one, and had a 78% passing accuracy in United's half compared to Mata's 66% in Arsenal's half. Yea very similar performances.

Mata was completely ineffective tonight. Ozil equally so.

Do these computer generated stats tell you how clear-cut the chances Ozil created were?...Or can I just trust my own two eyes and subsequently make a judgement based on that? Arsenals two best chances were a corner cleared off the line and Sagna's whipped cross to Giroud. Outside that they created very little and only looked remotely dangerous when Wilshere came galloping into the box.

Can you also ask your friends at Opta Stats to break the 78% passing accuracy down into 'meaningful pass' accuracy and 'achieved absolutely nothing' pass accuracy?!...or again can I trust my own two eyes on that one?

Perception...

Dinny Breen

Classic I trust my own two eyes above stats, very 80s. What I  saw was one player very comfortable on the ball controlling the tempo of the attack, looking to make things happen, he created opportunities retained possession well. The stats just happen to back this up. Not a master class but a solid performance in a tight game.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

How the fcuk do you boys watch two midfielders in two different games at the same time?

My knitting goes to shit watching one.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

wildrover

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:48:33 PM
Classic I trust my own two eyes above stats, very 80s. What I  saw was one player very comfortable on the ball controlling the tempo of the attack, looking to make things happen, he created opportunities retained possession well. The stats just happen to back this up. Not a master class but a solid performance in a tight game.

But I have simply pointed out that the finer details are missing within those statistics and those missing details are key to unpicking Ozil's performance tonight. Ozil's job is to create chances (he certainly is asked to put in a shift defensively) and that no chances were created directly or indirectly by him, lead me to a very straightforward conclusion...that he therefore didn't do his job very well.

In any case I would be extremely worried about any individual who didn't trust what they saw with their own two eyes.

wildrover

Quote from: wildrover on February 13, 2014, 12:01:52 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 12, 2014, 11:48:33 PM

But I have simply pointed out that the finer details are missing within those statistics and those missing details are key to unpicking Ozil's performance tonight. Ozil's job is to create chances (he certainly is asked to put in a shift defensively) and that no chances were created directly or indirectly by him, lead me to a very straightforward conclusion...that he therefore didn't do his job very well.

In any case I would be extremely worried about any individual who didn't trust what they saw with their own two eyes.

Christ!

Chris Smalling was 'looking to make things happen'...doesn't mean he was remotely close to being able to do it!