Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: laoislad on December 08, 2013, 07:29:42 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 08, 2013, 07:27:45 PM
Martinez was the manager that got Wigan relegated and the FA cup win shouldn't mask over that. He said no to Liverpool and later chose Everton if hes as good as some think then maybe Martinez can prove a point by finishing ahead of his neighbours this season.

Did he?
http://www.kopsource.com/everton-boss-martinez-has-no-regrets-after-rejecting-liverpool-advances/

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on December 08, 2013, 06:11:15 PM
It doesn't feel like a stretch, Dinny :)
Better chances fell to Arsenal though, that last one was freaky.

Lead "shrunk" to 5  (from a 7) with a couple of tough games coming up.

It was 4 before this weekend, 5 after! When was it ever 7?
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 08, 2013, 07:39:07 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 08, 2013, 07:29:42 PM
Martinez was the manager that got Wigan relegated and the FA cup win shouldn't mask over that. He said no to Liverpool and later chose Everton if hes as good as some think then maybe Martinez can prove a point by finishing ahead of his neighbours this season.

Did he?
http://www.kopsource.com/everton-boss-martinez-has-no-regrets-after-rejecting-liverpool-advances/

Depends on who you want to believe I suppose.
How does one turn down a job they were never offered?

However, Martinez's claims are contrary to those of Liverpool co-owner Tom Werner.

The American, talking to the BBC last week, claimed that while a number of people were spoken to about the position vacated by Dalglish, Rodgers was the only one to receive an offer.

Werner said: 'We engaged with a number of very experienced football people whose names have never been mentioned. We ended up focussing only on Brendan Rodgers. We never made an offer to any other manager.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Martinez was the manager that got Wigan relegated and the FA cup win shouldn't mask over that.[/b] He said no to Liverpool and later chose Everton if hes as good as some think then maybe Martinez can prove a point by finishing ahead of his neighbours this season.

Au contraitre, winning the FA Cup should mask some what over Relegation! Have you looked at the Roll of Honour since 1988?  Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs have been champions. Bar 2008 when Portsmouth had to go Bankrupt to win the thing, it is near impossible for anyone outside of these six to win it.

ONeill

Lead will be wiped out by the New Year. Luckily City and Chelsea didn't win - the 2 sides you fear and who will beat Arsenal in the next fortnight.

Since Theo came back the side has been nervous. Some hoor.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 08, 2013, 07:44:20 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 08, 2013, 06:11:15 PM
It doesn't feel like a stretch, Dinny :)
Better chances fell to Arsenal though, that last one was freaky.

Lead "shrunk" to 5  (from a 7) with a couple of tough games coming up.

It was 4 before this weekend, 5 after! When was it ever 7?
It was 7 before the game as Arsenal were expected to beat a team like Everton at home.
It was 7 before  Everton equalised in a game they should not have been let equalise.
You are a hard ass with a stiff poker up there :)

ONeill

Massive 10 days or so.

Tits up or game on?

Away to City on Sat morning looking daunting.

Main Street

I miss the Fergie v Arsene  flare-up potential, I suppose it had died down a bit when Arsenal dropped out of serious contention. But now that Arsenal are sorta up there, 'I would love it' if Fergie was there on the sidelines getting wound up by Arsene, his facial blood veins popping one by one.
When you think of personalities that you would like beside you in the trenches, Wenger's doesn't exactly jump out, but when it came to Fergie and Utd, Wenger was just about the only man who would go toe to toe against the red nosed bully, on your behalf in enemy territory.

ONeill

GAA_Talk

Madrid, PSG, Munich, Athletico or Barcelona.

Tasty.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 08, 2013, 07:48:38 PM
Au contraitre, winning the FA Cup should mask some what over Relegation! Have you looked at the Roll of Honour since 1988?  Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool and Spurs have been champions. Bar 2008 when Portsmouth had to go Bankrupt to win the thing, it is near impossible for anyone outside of these six to win it.

Wigans FA cup win was against the odds like Wimbledons in 1988 however the crazy gang didn't get themselves relegated that season they finished seventh.

Quote from: ONeill on December 11, 2013, 09:21:28 PM
FCUK.

In fairness that was some group three teams on twelve points,  Zenit have reached the knock out stages on six points.

ONeill

If Arsenal can get a point at City on Sat morning it'll be their result of the year.

Main Street

I thought both yellows for Arteta were on the soft side, theatrically enhanced.
but probably had little bearing on the result.
Szczezny fairly dealt Tony O'D a firm backhander in the post match interview.

Walter Cronc

Not sure how this result will affect Arsenal mentally prior to the City game. Need a much better performance if they are to get anything at the Etihad!!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: ONeill on December 11, 2013, 10:06:17 PM
If Arsenal can get a point at City on Sat morning it'll be their result of the year.

Agree but have 5 point lead for a safety net and 9 days rest to the Chelsea game. That Chelsea game is the pivotal game.
#newbridgeornowhere